Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #1

Help Need

Hello,

I Have a pentax K20D with these lens:

Lens 1: Pentax 16-50 F2.8 ED Al (if) SDM
Lens 2: Sigma 70-200 F2.8 II APO EX DG MACRO

When I take pictures in all green mode and raw, I see a good picture in the lens, but the files are dark.

My friend take same pictures beside me with a pentax ISTDL2 with original lens and his pictures is ok.

Why?

My picture: IMGP9357.jpg
Friend picture IMGP4012.jpg

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
08-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your camera looks like it is metering off the sky. Try setting the meter to center-weighted or center point and meter off the darker parts of the car. You might also need to mess with the exposure compensation.
08-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I believe the last poster was right when he suggested that its metering off the sky or something else and that you should try Center Weighted mode. However, in my opinion both look a little off. The first is over exposed and the second is slightly underexposed. However that could just be me and my monitor.
08-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
I believe the last poster was right when he suggested that its metering off the sky or something else and that you should try Center Weighted mode. However, in my opinion both look a little off. The first is over exposed and the second is slightly underexposed. However that could just be me and my monitor.
No, I don't think that it is your monitor, it looks the same on mine. I do think that center weighted metering and metering on the car, might be the OP's answer. That will, however leave the sky over exposed. But you might have to choose which part of the subject is more important.

Edit: Also I might play with the exposure compensation a bit to get the desired results. However, I'd meter on the car with center weighted metering. I don't think that you can use exposure compensation in the "Green" mode, I'd move to the "P" mode or the "AV" mode or the "TV" mode to do that.

Last edited by jimH; 08-08-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Add comment
08-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
looking at the EXIF data from both jpgs they both seem to be taken with a K20D.
The 9357 version seems very well exposed. It has way more overall proper exposure and since it was shot at ISO 100 i am sure when processing the RAW file you can get even more detail from the darker areas.
08-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The image you see in the viewfinder isn't an indication of the eventual file. The camera opens up to the maximum aperture of your lens for focusing and only closes down after you press the shutter.

When using the spot meter, press the shutter button half-way down and aim the center of the frame at where you want to expose for. Still holding the button down, recompose your shot. That normally fixes the kind of underexposure you're getting.

If that doesn't do it, on the K20d, exposure compensation is possible with external controls, no need to go to the menu. With practice, you can manage it by feel alone. Chimp your first photo in the screen then compensate.