Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D does not power on

Has anybody ever had any experience with a Pentax DSLR that won't power up?
I realize that there could be countless reasons but if anybody knows of a "common" problem with the switch or whatever I'd be really grateful to hear about them.

08-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
Has anybody ever had any experience with a Pentax DSLR that won't power up?
I realize that there could be countless reasons but if anybody knows of a "common" problem with the switch or whatever I'd be really grateful to hear about them.
I Have read of the Power switch failing with time. I don't remember the cost to repair but I don't think it's too much (if that's the case). Maybe it just needs to be cleaned.. Otherwise, Might be time for an upgrade?

If you want to take a stab at it...

Downloads

K10d service manual link, top left.

08-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I assume lack of power has been ruled out.
Bad battery or bad contacts may also cause this issue.
If not, then perhaps it is time for a replacement...
08-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps it is the SD card door contact.
If the door is open, the camera will not function.
Try fiddling with the SD card and the door.

- Bert

08-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

K10D is still worth a bit, not to mention still as capable a camera as it was when it was made. Worth sorting out! Can't help with what it is though...
08-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I'll let you know how I make out.
08-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I figured out how to fix it!

Here I am letting you know how I made out I won an auction for a K10D for $296.90 Because of this I won't worry about the one that needs fixed. The bids on that one, however, are up to $61.00. I wish them luck and hope it isn't a major problem. Seriously.
One thing I know for sure, next Tuesday if anybody does not want their photo taken they better hide real good 'cause I'm gonna be a "shootin fool" when UPS comes.
03-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Perhaps it is the SD card door contact.
If the door is open, the camera will not function.
Try fiddling with the SD card and the door.

- Bert
On the sd door there is a small L shaped plastic piece, the horizontal part of the L pushes in a small pin . you can leave the door open and push in the pin and as long as the pin is pushed in the camera will start up and stay on but as soon as you let go if the pin it will shut off the camera . So open the door push in the pin and turn on the camera . If it starts up and works just add a little something to the Horizontal piece of plastic on the door to push the pin in a little farther .

03-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

To others that might want to reply, please take into consideration that this thread is nearly 5 years old
05-15-2015, 12:49 AM   #10

I have a similar issue. When I turn on the K10d, only the low battery symbol come up. Battery is fully charged though. Any pointers?

Thanks,
Manoj
05-15-2015, 02:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manojjoseph78 Quote
I have a similar issue. When I turn on the K10d, only the low battery symbol come up. Battery is fully charged though. Any pointers?
Corroded / dirty contacts in the battery compartment or on the battery?

Further batteries don't have eternal life; so although fully charged, they may no longer be able give enough current resulting in the problem. A new (3rd party) battery might be the solution.
05-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would have thought by now that........

.....this thread would be dead! I completely forgot about it a long time ago until I got an email that some one had posted to it. On that old K10D that I wrote (posted) about I'm pretty sure it was mechanical and not a "maintenance" problem. I did "upgrade" and have been using a K20D w/battery grip for years. I've been patiently awaiting the full frame but the K-3 is awful tempting! I don't even have any of the same lenses or flash units that I was using with the K10! I've got 2 metz 58 af-2's, 1 metz 44 af-1 and 1 metz 48 af-1 that the shoe is broken on but still functions fine as a wireless remote. I'm Tamron sp90 macroed, Sigma long-lensed (300mm apo), Sigma 28-135'd, and Pentax wide angled in a couple versions plus 1 M42 35 mmm for old times sake plus I'm elements 12'd, Manfrotto'd , Gitzoided, and Quick Set Elevator champed (for old times sake and functionality) SO Yeah, I'd completely forgotten about this thread!
Anyway..... other than checking contacts, being sure of functional batteries, and checking all the switches and doors, I never did learn anything else about the electrical problems for that (almost) forgotten K10.
I don't know about anybody else, but I know I won't be back to this thread, I mean, hey, it's been about 5 (Five) years now. See y'all in the newer threads (ya know, like 2 yrs or newer....
08-01-2015, 08:54 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
.....this thread would be dead! I completely forgot about it a long time ago until I got an email that some one had posted to it. On that old K10D that I wrote (posted) about I'm pretty sure it was mechanical and not a "maintenance" problem. I did "upgrade" and have been using a K20D w/battery grip for years. I've been patiently awaiting the full frame but the K-3 is awful tempting! I don't even have any of the same lenses or flash units that I was using with the K10! I've got 2 metz 58 af-2's, 1 metz 44 af-1 and 1 metz 48 af-1 that the shoe is broken on but still functions fine as a wireless remote. I'm Tamron sp90 macroed, Sigma long-lensed (300mm apo), Sigma 28-135'd, and Pentax wide angled in a couple versions plus 1 M42 35 mmm for old times sake plus I'm elements 12'd, Manfrotto'd , Gitzoided, and Quick Set Elevator champed (for old times sake and functionality) SO Yeah, I'd completely forgotten about this thread!
Anyway..... other than checking contacts, being sure of functional batteries, and checking all the switches and doors, I never did learn anything else about the electrical problems for that (almost) forgotten K10.
I don't know about anybody else, but I know I won't be back to this thread, I mean, hey, it's been about 5 (Five) years now. See y'all in the newer threads (ya know, like 2 yrs or newer....
I took my k10d apart using the download from above . Its really easy to get to the on off switch . If you still have the camera and don't care what happens to it I will take it apart and look at the switch and give it a good cleaning . thats about all I know how to do is simple thing's like cleaning the contacts . Its a metal to metal contact If I remember correctly and mine just needed cleaning and still works today and I still like that camera and I keep my 100mm wr macro lens on it Its great for closeup's or hunting in the rain in a tree stand , places I you don't want to take my k3 just yet . But serious if you don't need high iso its a great camera .
08-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I had the same problem so retired mine in favour of the K5iis and then the K3. Would not want the K10 back for any money

Randy