Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the K100D is an excellent choice. Because of the overinflated Nikon prices, you should do fine selling your gear and buying something better with a Pentax nameplate on it.

That's what I did when I wanted to move on from a Nikon F80. Selling that kit paid for most of my *ist DL, and I gained features that I couldn't have gotten without jumping up to the D200 -- metering with all of the old lenses, mirror lock-up...

08-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #17
Not Registered

newbie in the forum. Interested in....

[QUOTE=Peter Zack;88543]find yourself a nice SMC A 50mm f1.7 or better yet a f 1.4 ("A's" offer more function on these cameras but the same in an "M" is great as well). Then get a set of extension tubes and you have a great macro setup. I also have a Vivitar continuously focusing macro lens (rare but available once in awhile) that works great as a dual purpose. 2 x to make the lens a 100mm f 2.8/ f3.4 and also a 1:1 macro. I will post a picture of it to this thread tomorrow when I get home. Great macro and standard lens shooting setup either way.

how/where/when can I find those extension tubes to make a smc-a 50 1.7; a macro lens?

Thank you in advance

Ps Sorry for being schematic in the question, I still struggling to improve my english.
08-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
how/where/when can I find those extension tubes to make a smc-a 50 1.7; a macro lens?
I'm working on this idea myself, and I found some resources online (searching through Google) on how to build your own extension tubes, so that I'm considering since I'm a budget photographer

Otherwise, a lot of online camera shops like B&H sell them. I think you'll just have to look for something that will connect to a Pentax mount on one end, and the filter screw of the SCM-A 50mm f/1.7 on the other end. I'm thinking of getting that lens too.

Alex
08-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #19
Not Registered

Do these extension tubes affect the image quality badly?

08-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Extension tubes contain no glass; they just move existing non-macro lens farther from the camera body and reduce the minimum focus distance. They don't degrade image quality at all.
08-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I supose i am comming to this thread a bit late, but i switched from the D70 to the K100d about 10 months ago and don't regret it a bit. If you are a pro Nikon has more (and more available) options, but how many lenses do you really need. Nikon has few affordabe f4 lenses and I just love my Pentax 16-45 and 28-70 f4 lenses.

I am also considering getting extension tubes. i currently have some Hoya close up filters and I'm not very satisfied with them.
08-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #22
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Extension tubes contain no glass; they just move existing non-macro lens farther from the camera body and reduce the minimum focus distance. They don't degrade image quality at all.
Thank You, I was not familiar with the extension tubes (shame on me), but I was thinking more in vignetting problems (specially wide open)
08-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #23
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

macro lenses

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. There are no issues with vignetting or other problems with using these lenses or extension tubes. The 2x macro converter is more convienent because you can change the field of view by just turning the barrel and it goes from normal to 1:30 all the way to 1:1 macro. Also acts as a 2x converter. The extension tubes are only for macro work and to change the magnification you add or remove the sections which can be slow. But macro shooting takes time anyway. They can also be used together for a super macro setup.
The only issue with either is you require more light as there is a light loss add either to a normal lens.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 12-16-2007 at 08:45 AM.
08-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #24
Not Registered

Thank you for all the information, sounds good. I like to take my time taking some pictures so I will give it a serious consideration.

Excellent advice
08-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Hi Alex

If the Pentax K100D or K100D Super feel right for you at this moment in time, then my advice is simply to 'go for it'. Your most important criteria in any purchasing decision is choosing what suits you best and not what pleases others !!! A few years ago my sister flew over from Australia, having purchased a C****n Rebel XTi/350D en route in Singapore. Although I willingly admit that the quality of the images it produced not unsurprisingly surpassed those made my ancient Fuji S602Z (all-in-one) 'bridge' camera, I really hated the handling of the 350D, especially the stupidly inadequate grip, which is why I totally understand your sentiments when you said:

QuoteQuote:
I've held the K100D in a store, I can still hold it comfortably, more so than the Canon Rebel XTi (that thing is too tiny for me).
IMHO the ergonomics of the Rebel XTi/350D and it's 400D successor (supposedly improved, but virtually identical grip) are not even in the same league as the K100D . Admittedly you'll find yourself having to delve into the menu of the K100D slightly more than you would do if you'd bought a K10D. However bearing in mind your current budgetary restraints, I can't imagine too many occasions where you'd have regretted buying the K100D instead of something else ! The K100D handles really sweetly and feels utterly natural in my hand, when compared to say the Rebel XTi or N****n D40/D40X. As the K100D Super becomes more popular, the K100D is bound to drop in price as dealers will need to clear old stock. If your finances are tight at the moment, the SDM (Supersonic Drive Motor) 'feature' of the K100D Super is unlikely to hold much attraction for you, because any Pentax lens toting SDM is bound to be quite expensive and hence frustratingly out of your reach. Thus the only plus point that the K100D Super now holds over the K100D is the DR (Dust Reduction) feature, which may or may not appeal to you ? In case you're wondering why I've left the K110D out of the equation until now, the general consensus seems to be that SR (Shake Reduction) is definitely advantageous and speaking personally, I wouldn't buy any DSLR that didn't include this invaluable feature. I was initially quite sceptical about the usefulness of SR, until I tried somebody's Panasonic FZ-20 on a cruise around Norway and was staggered to find that the telephoto shots I took turned out pin-sharp, despite the fact that the image in the viewfinder appeared to be jumping about uncontrollably all-over-the-place......a salutory lesson !!!

Your rationale for the following.....

QuoteQuote:
The main reason I'm thinking of moving over is Pentax's historic lens compatibility, and being able to find good oldies at low cost.
.....is valid enough, but reading between the lines it would appear that due to the increasing popularity of the K10D/K100D, the endless supply of secondhand "good oldies at low cost" K-mount lenses are starting to dry-up somewhat and prices seem to be on the increase, rather than the other-way-around !

At least the K100D has SR built into the body and not into the lenses, which otherwise adds considerably to the price of additional optics when going down the C****n or N****n route. Finally, if as rumour suggests the K10D is superseded by a K10D Super etc in the near future, then the price of a standard K10D body may well drop to a level at which you CAN afford to obtain one ?
Hope all this helps clarify things a little for you,

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-25-2007 at 07:04 PM.
08-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #26

Original Poster
Hey Confused,

Yeah, with money being a big driver, moving to Pentax via the K100D is quite the bargain right now, and I'll be able to squeeze out money for a few more lenses. I think that's been my biggest problem with getting into photography in the past, it's an expensive hobby so I never got the lenses I wanted. I've had a Nikon N80 film camera purchased while I was a frugal college student, and the Nikon D70s two years ago while paying back my loans (and other sudden expenses), and each time I only had two average lenses.

In many ways getting a K100D will be about equal to my D70s, but I'll also have the funds to get more and better glass. I'll be lots happier I think.

Peter Zack:

Since we're on the topic of macro, what are the various relationships between length of extension tubes to reversing the lens and working distances? From my understanding, just adding an extension tube equal to the focal length of the lens allows for 1:1, am I correct? But how close is the working distance now? What about extension tubes AND reversing the lens? How much magnification can I get with that setup, and what would that working distance be? I've had trouble searching for these answers myself.

arbutusq:

It's nice to hear from someone else whole jumped from a D70 to a K100D and is happy!

Alex
08-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The K100d doesn't feel quite as responsive as the D70, it still gets the job done but at a slightly more laid back pace.

Because the K100d doesn't have an electronic shutter you can shoot into the sun without the dreaded blooming of the D70and there is far more latitude for highlight recovery when working in RAW. (about 2/3 EV) I think this is due to the compression algorhythm applied to NEF files on the D70.
08-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #28
Inactive Account

ive been struggling to find any extension tubes (to work between k10d and a-series lens) in the UK. excluding stupid prices like the new jessops ones. and i dont really want to buy stuff from hong kong on ebay lol. any ideas?
08-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #29
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

For some answers have a look here at this new thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/11161-answer-m...html#post89096
08-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #30
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
ive been struggling to find any extension tubes (to work between k10d and a-series lens) in the UK. excluding stupid prices like the new jessops ones. and i dont really want to buy stuff from hong kong on ebay lol. any ideas?

i posted a possible solution to your question on the thread I created:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/11161-answer-m...html#post89096