Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Using WR bodies with non WR lenses

This is just something I've been wondering for a while, would it be damaging to the camera in slightly wet or extremely humid conditions?

The only thing I can think of happening is water leaking into the lens mount and shorting out the contacts, and then maybe water creeping into the lens itself, leaving spots on the elements and breeding fungus

08-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How is the WR handled with WR and DR* lenses?
I've never seen any O-rings or the like on them.

**** I was wrong here, there is an O ring on my DA* 16-50mm and DA* 60-250mm!! ****

I guess it is just the tight fitting of the banjonet that closes of the lens.

It's only my Kenko 1.5 TC that feels a little loose on the camera, all others lenses and TC's I have fit really well.

My biggest worry here is not the camera, but the lens.
There are more than enough openings for fluid to enter the lens.
Also, I've had to dump one lens due to dust particles inside, that showed on the pictures under certain conditions.
Although it was a Panny lens, it was still an expensive incident.

- Bert

Last edited by bymy141; 08-09-2010 at 04:55 AM.
08-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can't find a picture but on the DA WR's there's a red rubber ring on the lens mount that seals it, the bayonet is also a lot tighter than non WR lenses. I've also heard that the DA 17-70 has the same seal, even though it's not WR

as for the lens barrels, I'm not sure how that is handled but I know they've done something to keep water out of the lens

edit: found picture http://macro-photography-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/pentax-100mm-wr-weather-seal.jpg
08-09-2010, 04:26 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a WR camera body (K-7) and all my lenses are non-WR, although I often work outdoor. Let me share my own experience.

With the zoom lens, one issue is the risk of water/humidity getting into the lens during the "pumping" action of zooming/un-zooming. This can be reduced by carefully wiping regularly the lense with a dry cloth, but it is a worry.

The other major risk is swapping lenses. In bad weather, I simply refuse to swap lenses unless in secure, dry conditions.

On the other hand, I have much less issue with my prime lens (Voigltander Nokton 58mm). The lens is very sturdy and is almost WR.

Ultmately, however, the most important is to take care of the lenses and of the camera. Remember that WR is not weatherproof nor water proof. WR = weather resistant only. Your camera and your lenses need TLC (Tender, Love and Care)...

08-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The WR kit lens have 6 O-ring seals. One on the back mount and 5 in the body; for both the DA18-55mm WR and DA50-200mm WR. These seals if missing (normal kit) will allow water to potential flow right in. Now folks will say they use the normal kit in the rain (I have to), but I bet every one who does so is always thinking of the lens, and protecting it a little in hard rain, or covering it (as I always did). Now I don't care if my camera is exposed or even think of it with a WR lens on the front.

With WR lens you can just forget about the weather and focus on your subject

08-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The other day I just bit the bullet and ran my K7 and the kit lens under a faucet to get it over with, it was scary, cool and a bit empowering
08-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
The other day I just bit the bullet and ran my K7 and the kit lens under a faucet to get it over with, it was scary, cool and a bit empowering
So when does your new camera arrive?

That's not an experiment I've been brave enough to try, I just trust that if I get caught in a sudden downpour, it'll be ok.

08-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've given mine a quick bath under some running water before. It's a champ.

There is however a difference between the Sealing of the WR and DA* lenses. Mainly that beyond the seals that you see on the WR lenses the DA* has each of the elements/groups sealed off independently.

So you don't want to get *too* crazy with the WR ones, but they are indeed more robust than you would think.

Last edited by kalison; 08-11-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: I r Kant spehl
08-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well it was after shooing outside in the rain to do the initial test, and then the faucet for the real test

I did a little research beforehand though:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/104401-testing-k7-...ur-camera.html
08-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #10

For the last two years, The Camera Store in Calgary, Alberta has hosted an expo where the different camera brands show off their wares. At the Pentax booth, Bill Gouge (the western territory manager from Pentax) had a tub of water with a K20D and attached 50-135mm lens full immersed. As he went through the sales pitch about the camera he would casually reach into the tub, grab the camera, pull it out, shake off the excess water and snap some shots and show that the camera works just fine...

...if that doesn't ease your concerns, I don't know what will.
08-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've seen a video where a guy held his K7 and kit lens under/in the shower with the water running for about 10 seconds and the camera was fine.

But for the original question, I would think that moisture COULD POSSIBLY leak into the camera through the non-WR lens. It would guess it would have to be pretty humid or raining for this to happen though and I would also think that it's guarenteed that the lens would get broken/fungus in it even if the camera body was safe.

In my opinion it kind of defeats the purpose in taking a WR body without a WR lens into a humid/raining environment.
08-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
The WR kit lens have 6 O-ring seals. One on the back mount and 5 in the body; for both the DA18-55mm WR and DA50-200mm WR. These seals if missing (normal kit) will allow water to potential flow right in. Now folks will say they use the normal kit in the rain (I have to), but I bet every one who does so is always thinking of the lens, and protecting it a little in hard rain, or covering it (as I always did). Now I don't care if my camera is exposed or even think of it with a WR lens on the front.

With WR lens you can just forget about the weather and focus on your subject
Thanks for the illustration
08-21-2010, 04:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I am suspecting rain, I make certain to have a sealed lens on the camera. There just is no point to exposing electronics to the elements more than necessary. Sure, in the "old days" we used to shoot with non sealed bodies and lenses is light rain, but there were a whole lot less electronics in those cameras too.