Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted y future_retro....I'm not even sure if graphics existed back when that thing was made
All computers no matter when they were built had graphics cards in them, otherwise you would not have seen your desktop.

I'm running a dual core, does fine with my K100D and SDHC card. I'm trialing CS5 and all is good. I also create and edit videos with problem. Course my graphics card is not onboard, it's a PCI-e with 1gb video memory.

Here's my rig:
Asus M2N68-VM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ Dual-Core
G.SKILL 4GB (4 x 1GB)DDR2 1066
MSI GeForce 9400 GT 1GB PCIe
WD 640GB SATA
Lite-On 22x DVDRW SATA
Antec TruePower 550W
Vista Ultimate 32-bit
Built by Me!!

If you're computer is slow or slowing down, have you checked to make sure it's clean of spyware/malware and viruses?

08-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #17
Forum Member

All dual core architectures are not created equal. Don't discount it thinking you need quad to do anything lightning fast with media. The speed of your hdd, the speed of your memory, the speed of your OS and software (32bit vs. 64bit, etc.), and the speed of your gpu all come into play. I've had HD video files batch converting in the backround while editing in LR without my laptop having an issue being C2D (overclocked though).

As has been stated already, get the camera, and upgrade your laptop later. You won't have an issue with it only having 2 cores. Memory is more important than how many cores you have, or how fast they are in many cases.
08-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

I'm on an old desktop Mac G4, and my Photoshopping processing isn't a problem at all, even in raw:

The problem is browsing with the Pentax utility--it's ridiculously slow.

So instead, I use "Browse" in PS, and that works. I'll also use some other basic utility just for browsing...trash my losers (which is most my shots)...then open the files in PS.

Also, I've finally gotten into the habit of trashing redundant files. If I have a series of 20 shots of a subject...12 stink and go in the trash immediately...so I have 8 left...

I'll usually trash 7 of the 8 and just keep the very best shot.
08-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clim920 Quote
I have debated for awhile now, Would it be better to get a good editing computer for videos/photos or get a camera first and use my computer now which is only dual core but can still do it?

Not a lot of info there to work with.

What camera do you have now? NO camera? If you have no camera, but you do have a computer, then that's easy, buy the camera (assuming you can afford one).

But let's explore your ideas about computers. You have a dual-core computer now? What's it running—XP? Vista or 7? Mac OS?

I'm a pro (portraits, weddings, other events). I do most of my post-processing on a dual-core computer. I have a 500 GB internal drive, which is too small but which I manage to live with. I have 4 GB of RAM, which is not as much as I'd like for Windows XP SP3 (32 bit), but it is all I can use so I get by. When I have hundreds and hundreds of images to review, I can lose significant amounts of time simply waiting for one photo to be saved and the next one to load. I mean, moving from one photo to another can sometimes take me a couple of seconds!

But think about that. I use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 (and a bunch of other latest version software). Everything runs fine. Occasionally I have to wait a second or two for a photo to load. This is a big deal ONLY because I have so many images to process.

Otherwise there is virtually nothing that I could do with a nice new i5 core processor (say) and 6 GB of RAM in Windows 7 (64-bit) that I can't do now. It would perhaps be correct to say that even I do not NEED the new computer, I simply am in a position where the new computer will save me literally a couple of hours every week.

Since you apparently do not have a camera, I'm guessing you aren't a working photographer. In that case, you do NOT need to think about buying a new computer.

Final point. As I said, you didn't tell us much. Very possibly you have some other reason for needing a new computer more urgently than a new camera. Please understand my answer is offered strictly within the very limited range of info that you provided in your initial post.

Will

08-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
All computers no matter when they were built had graphics cards in them, otherwise you would not have seen your desktop.
Was a joke
08-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #21

I used to be a huge computer guru a few years back before I realize technology devalues quickly. But here's my rig from when I built it 3-4 years ago.

Intel q6660
G.Skill DDR2 800 4GB
Nvidia 8800GTS x2 SLi
Asus P5N-E Mobo
Lian Li case (forget what model case number it is)
Corsair 620HX

Although this computer was "beastly" back then, it's rather laggy now.
08-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I agree with the general consensus, go fo the camera.

I have several editors on my main computer, but usually use IrfanView, it's small, fast and free. But that's a computer just a tad slower than yours, it opens IrfanView in less than a second, and it runs without ever a hiccup. It will also run iPhoto quite well, and several others, including a free download of Gimp, which does a nice job too.

But...I also use it on a Dell 700MHz Inspiron laptop ( the one I'm typing on right now) and it opens pictures kinda slow, but also does the minor editing I need without ever looking back. IrfanView is the only editor I have on this machine, since it runs well I don't see any point in bogging it down with even more software.

Don't even think about it twice, get the camera.

Oh, in addition to memory, make sure you have a llot of hard drive space, I'm shooting 12MP (***) picture quality, JPEGs are usually around 5.5-6MB each. 100 pictures averages 550MB... I shoot 100-150 pictures almost every day, that adds up to gigabytes real quick.I've had the K-x since early June, I just passed up 12,000 shots. I'm going to start burning everything to DVD and deleting from the computer soon, but it's not a big problem, I have a 200GB hard drive, but with music files I record too (I'm a lifelong musician) I can use up hard drive space really fast, so I'm going to do some paring soon.

For the average person who is not subject to record a 150MB song at any given time, a 200GB hard drive will take a while to fill up, but if you take pictures the way I do, well, you get the picture...so make sure you have plenty hard drive space, I can fill up the 40GB drive on this thing in a week or two. I'm transferring pictures now from a recent road trip, I used up several GB of drive space in about 10-12 days...

Other than those two considerations, yoour current machine should handle picture editing better than mine does, I would simplpy build another one if it was a problem, I'm a computer tech too (12 years) so that's easy and I have the parts, but the fact is, thie one I'm using now noes a very nice job, I see no reason to "upgrade"...It's a 3GHz AMD, 768MB RAM, Windows XP. And not a dual core...
08-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank's for the assistance so far guys, but I also want to play demanding video games aswell. So I am not sure. Plus someone also mentioned I should get the computer now and wait for camera, because the new ones are releasing soon so that would be the best way to go. It would suck if I bought a kx or k7 now, and the new ones are better, or the kx/k7 go down in price.

If I got the pc I think I would wait like 3-6 months for the camera.

08-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #24

Thank's for the assistance so far guys, but I also want to play demanding video games aswell. So I am not sure. Plus someone also mentioned I should get the computer now and wait for camera, because the new ones are releasing soon so that would be the best way to go. It would suck if I bought a kx or k7 now, and the new ones are better, or the kx/k7 go down in price.

If I got the pc I think I would wait like 3-6 months for the camera.
That's the price you have to pay.

Waiting for new technology, prices to go lower will take a toll on you. If you want a camera, buy it now and don't look back. Same thing goes for computers. You may spend 700+ dollars on a "high entry" decent computer but 3-6 months from now, something else will come out that will be even better. And most of the time, the price for new technology is quite high.
08-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Ah, then don't buy ANYTHING. You'll never be happy.

Somebody next month is releasing something better than whatever you've got. Well, it might not be next month, but very soon. Yeah, there are cycles to these things, but it's nearly impossible to figure out the right way to play the cycles. Lots of new cameras announced in the fall, before Christmas season. So in theory, if you want, and buy when a particular model is released, you'll get the longest use out of it before it's replaced a year later by something new.

BUT if you buy as soon as something new is released, you are on the "bleeding edge." You could discover that the new model you purchased has some serious problems. Safer to wait a few months for reviews to come in from all quarters, and for the bugs to be discovered, and then fixed.

And if you buy a new product right away, you also pay top dollar. The smart shopper—I mean the really smart shopper—is in the market right now for a new K20D. There are, I believe, a few still available, and they're going cheap.

And remember, Pentax isn't the only company making cameras on the planet, so even if you buy a K-5 (or whatever the next model is called) shortly after it's released, thinking that you won't be "obsolete" for at least a year, well, somebody else is going to release something just after the new year, or in the spring. It's inevitable. From one perspective, at least, most of the new products being introduced are obsolete the first day they hit the shelves. What I mean is, they are implementing technical ideas that have been around for a while. Say Pentax shocks the world and announces a full-frame DSLR at Photokina. Whatever they release is going to look a LOT like a Sony A850, or a Nikon D700. Pentax isn't going to reinvent the big wheel. They're just going to release a big wheel with "Pentax" stamped on it.

In short, you can't win.

If you want to take photos, buy a camera. Do your best to ignore the certainty that something slightly better is going to be announced next week. On the other hand, if you prefer to play video games (I pass no judgment on your sanity or your morals, I just say if), then get the computer, and wait on the camera.

Will