Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x Problem with manual mode and M42 lenses

Hi there

Im using m42 lenses on my K-x body and when i am in M mode ( manual) when I hit the green button while looking at something really bright ( sun or reflected sunlight off water/walls etc) it sometimes wigs out and gives me 0.3 seconds as a shutter speed, which is strange as im using mostly the 50mm f1.4 SM C Takumar at f4 or less, is there something I am overlooking, or is it because too much light is hitting the sensor?

I normally just point it at something not as bright and it meters fine then I adjust as required using the dial

cheers

D163

08-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same here, i m using K-mount MF lens tho. I think its the same for all manual focus lens.
08-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #3

Yep, same issue here with my m42 lenses. I'm guessing there's a bug/feature in the camera's software that if the max shutter speed isn't fast enough for what it needs, it reverts to 0.3 seconds to let you know it can't expose the scene correctly. It really sucks when I'm trying to take a shot and don't have a lot of time to find something darker to meter off of and adjust accordingly. Takes alot of spins of the wheel to get shutter speed back up into the thousands. hahah
08-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok , good to know its not my mind playing tricks or a bad camera

I agree on the whirrring of the dial to get it back to the 1000s though

bzzzzt bzzzzzzt , if its something Im afraid I will miss, I select Aperture priority instead and fix the exposure later

08-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dude163 Quote
Ok , good to know its not my mind playing tricks or a bad camera

I agree on the whirrring of the dial to get it back to the 1000s though

bzzzzt bzzzzzzt , if its something Im afraid I will miss, I select Aperture priority instead and fix the exposure later
If it's an M42 lens, just move the slider from "auto" to "manual" and shoot in most any mode except M. It'll automatically go into Aperture Priority and meter more or less correctly in real-time. The downside is that the viewfinder will dim on smaller apertures. It's only K-mount non-A lenses and the occasional M42 that lacks an A/M slider that have to be used in M mode with stop-down metering.

If the slider is on Auto, then you're always shooting wide-open no matter what you set the aperture ring to, since K-mount bodies lack the hardware to push in the pin on the back.
08-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This happens on a lot of other manuals also. My M 50 1.7 will meter 0.3 fairly often (mostly when pointed at bright spots). I have to look at something a little darker to get it to function normally again.
08-10-2010, 04:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Groucho,

Actually I find it meters better using M mode and the green button, if I use AP mode it underexposes quite a bit, sometimes as much as 2 fulll stops

re: man/auto, yes Ive been forgetful of that a few times and shot a bunch of pics wideopen by mistake because the slider gets switched to AUTO when im installing the lens
08-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Groucho,

Actually I find it meters better using M mode and the green button, if I use AP mode it underexposes quite a bit, sometimes as much as 2 fulll stops

re: man/auto, yes Ive been forgetful of that a few times and shot a bunch of pics wideopen by mistake because the slider gets switched to AUTO when im installing the lens
Same here, but Dude, why are you using the Green button? On the K-x, the Av+/- button does the same thing, so you can assign the Green button a different function.

I shoot mostly JPEG, and have the Green button set to toggle to RAW for when I want it.

08-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok Cool!

I thought the green button was for meter lock?
08-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

ok Cool!

I thought the green button was for meter lock?
You already have an AE-L button, not needed of course for M mode. And the way you're using the Green button now is not considered AE lock--that's different. AE lock is only used in an auto metering mode, where if you moved the camera one inch to the left or right, your reading would change. In M mode, your exposure is ALWAYS locked.

Your current use of the Green button in M mode merely SETS the shutter speed based on your selected aperture.

There's a submenu for the Green button which allows you to change its ffunction, and like I said, I use it for Raw.

I don't understand all of the options for the Green button, but I'm pretty sure that most of them involve the automatic metering modes. Since I shoot 99% in manual, I never bothered learning it. In addition, I know there are in-body "electronic ways" to use exposure compensation via shutter speed, but I just prefer to use the lens's aperture ring:

I get my base reading using the Av button, and then adjust aperture one way or the other based on what I think needs to be done, and don't hit Av again.

In many, many ways, shooting manual with our old lenses is just as easy as using a modern lens with AE lock. It's like the exact same number of steps to get where you want to go.

Everyone has their preferences on how to shoot, and this way is mine.

As far as manual focusing goes, mine stinks, so no comment!
08-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've had the 0.3" metering error also, when shooting in M mode with M series lenses. I wonder if maybe it's something that can be fixed in a future firmware update?

Anyway, I mainly shoot with M42 lenses, which work OK in Av mode.