Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Auto-focusing aid in K10D

Some Pentax SLR's had an ir autofocus aid for low light. I can not tell if the K10D has it. The flash emits a small light just prior to the main flash; but, that must be the P-ttl. The feature is not among those on their site. Thanks.

mm

08-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the on-board flash is up, when the K10D feels it need more light to achieve focus, it will strobe the flash. You can't miss it, the sound is an unmistakable "bzzzzt", not at all like the p-ttl pre-flash.

That being said, I think the camera is a bit conservative in its use of the strobe AF-assist. It could start using it earlier (with more ambient light) is what I mean.
08-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you will find that the IR focusing Aid is incorporated in teh external flashes.

The AF 500 FTZ (ok to use on *istD) and the Af 540FGZ 9P-TTOL compatible) I think have this
08-24-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No IR light in either the DS or the K10D (as well as the others AFAIK). Solution to help focusing in low-light:
1)Buy 540 flash
2)Put flash in SB mode
3)Shoot as you normally would in low light (ie Av mode f/1.4-f/2 high ISO)

Flash will use its IR beam for focus assist, but will NOT fire during exposure.

And as an added bonus, you now have an excellent flash for great (bounced) flash photographs, or as fillflash outside (works GREAT for this)

Don't think I ever used the built-in flash on the K10D, I did use it on the DS, it stunk
Built-in-flash=bad
External hotshoe mounted flash=good