Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any Speculating on K7 prices?

Hi All.

Because I was traveling this weekend I put off my(Amazon-Adorama) K7 purchase to Saturday, it was list just under $800. Well it was a goof and the price went up almost $100 at Amazon. There is a new Amazon price up on Amazon (B&H I suppose) that is still $70 over the one last week. With the big camera show next month and I assume the launching of the K5 would one expect (from a historical perspective anyway) that the K7 price will come down? My K10D died so I'm back to film, feels pretty strange. I find myself taking a quick peak to look at the image that isn't there.

Many thanks.

08-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With the announcement of possibly 2 new cameras next month the K7 will definitely drop, but the real question is how much will the $ drop? If one of the announced cameras is a direct replacement for the K7, then expect it to drop 100s. If the announcement cameras are a lower and higher model then the K7 price drop will be minimal.
08-10-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
With the announcement of possibly 2 new cameras next month the K7 will definitely drop, but the real question is how much will the $ drop? If one of the announced cameras is a direct replacement for the K7, then expect it to drop 100s. If the announcement cameras are a lower and higher model then the K7 price drop will be minimal.
No, it is not.

Please have a look at the following post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/109422-what-happen...ml#post1129387

It shows you the past price development of the K20D and K-7 over time.

Cheers, Bert
08-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax usually offers a $100 rebate and other rebates on cameras just before the announcement of new products. I think B&H was selling the K-7 for $700 for the week before fathers day. That price never returned.
Make sure you stay away from bait and switch sites!!

08-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #5
Inactive Account

father's day price was around $762, not $700

although we could see $700 when the new cameras are announced
08-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
Pentax usually offers a $100 rebate and other rebates on cameras just before the announcement of new products. I think B&H was selling the K-7 for $700 for the week before fathers day. That price never returned.
Make sure you stay away from bait and switch sites!!
I don't think B&H has ever been a bait and switch site. If the price before Father's Day was $700 and you wanted one then, should have pressed the submit order button. Every time *I* have, whatever I ordered was here 3 business days later. That is unless I've paid for next day air, then it was here a day later. No fuss, no muss. No upsell callbacks. No "... we are out of stock, how about a nice Canon?" Just a box wrapped with B&H Tape containing whatever I've ordered.

People who think they are going to get a K7 for half price the day after Photokina are dreaming. Remember first, the New whatever it is, still has to be released. Even just now, a Year after the K7 hit the shelves, USED K20d cameras are still fetching at least half their original price. New, $800 and up. That's what I paid in November 2008, 7 or 8 months before the K7 was released.

08-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks y'all. I greatly appreciate the data set (I'm a scientists and data is what I do) I was just hoping it would drop below $800 (much more palatable for my wife).

Cheers,

Doug

08-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
No, it is not.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/109422-what-happen...ml#post1129387

Cheers, Bert
Yep, check out that thread. I posted there and will say again, I believe the K7 has already bottomed. It could see another dip once the new camera is actually announced, but in all likelihood production has already ceased at this point and new units are being produced. That means that once the shelf stock of K7s starts to dwindle, the price will inevitably rise. Bottom line the K7 is a clear step up from the K20 (IQ may be similar, but handling, specs and build are all a step up). Even though new K20s dipped below $600 before bouncing back, it also had a lower starting MSRP, and was in essence a 2nd gen refresh of the k10d. I would be surprised to see the K7 dip much past $700 at any point, and if so only briefly.
08-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
No, it is not.

Cheers, Bert
That is a very interesting link. There was another thread on here where people were thinking exactly what I posted about prices falling, especially if there is a direct replacement for the 2 current models. I was actually hoping what I thought would actually happen because I currently cannot afford a K7 but could if it dropped a little but more $, but in either case I can hope and pray the K7 will drop even further.
08-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #10

Yes..there will be price drops...

the price of K7 Body will drop as much as $569, before they stop the production and move on. Thats closer to the lowest that K20 dropped to earlier last year.