Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #1

spots in every k-x picture

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. From the very first picture I took with my new k-x (I'm new to dslr cameras), I've noticed a small spot on the right side of every picture. I've included two pictures below with an example of this - in each picture, there's a small dark spot to the middle-right. Can someone help me identify where this is coming from and how to fix it?

Thank you!!

Justin

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
08-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just dust on the sensor

Here's some info

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/109456-dirty-sensor.html
08-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Concur. You have a dust speck on the sensor. Look in your Kx manual for dust removal steps. The Kx has a sensor shaker that might dislodge and remove it. Otherwise, you will probably need a "rocket blower" to blow the dust off. DON'T touch the inside of the camera with anything. Just blow the dust loose with clean air.
08-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Here, have a good read...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/109456-dirty-sensor.html

Jason

08-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

yep it's either dust or you are constantly watched by an UFO )
08-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote

You can try to rule out the UFO by shooting a white or light coloured wall inside.
08-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
That one made me laugh, thanks.

08-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
That one made me laugh, thanks.
what's so funny about dust on the sensor?

I know you're being watched constantly by UFOs
08-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks indeed like dust.
To clean it flip the mirror up, take an old used up toothbrush and crub it clean.....(that is obviously a joke...)
Use the sensor cleaning function of the camera, and if that does not work, rocket blower. Don't use pressured blowers from a can though.

Good luck!
08-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Also, I see the left photo was at f11 and the right at f20. The smaller the aperture opening, the more these dust spots will show. Probably wouldn't even see it at say f4
08-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
Looks indeed like dust.
To clean it flip the mirror up, take an old used up toothbrush and crub it clean.....(that is obviously a joke...)
Use the sensor cleaning function of the camera, and if that does not work, rocket blower. Don't use pressured blowers from a can though.

Good luck!
You can also throw it in the washer, but make sure to use the gentle cycle. (joking too.)
08-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
Also, I see the left photo was at f11 and the right at f20. The smaller the aperture opening, the more these dust spots will show. Probably wouldn't even see it at say f4
Are you sure about that?

Dust on the sensor should not be affected by what aperture is used - other than obviously a dust obstruction would be harder to see in shadow areas.

An obstruction such as dust should show up whatever aperture is used - since it is on the sensor surface and blocks the light at that point/area.
08-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Are you sure about that?

Dust on the sensor should not be affected by what aperture is used - other than obviously a dust obstruction would be harder to see in shadow areas.

An obstruction such as dust should show up whatever aperture is used - since it is on the sensor surface.
The smaller the aperture opening, the more prevalent and well defined the dust will become. At wider apertures, it may appear as more of a smudge or be very difficult to see. You are right about it being there regardless of aperture and it Will affect the photo however. That's been my experience anyway.

08-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Are you sure about that?

An obstruction such as dust should show up whatever aperture is used - since it is on the sensor surface and blocks the light at that point/area.
You know, now that you say that, I have to wonder. I always thought it was a factor of that, but now, I might have to inspect my lenses on the connection side. All I know is, my spots show up MUCH more at smaller aperture.
08-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Nope, I have to stick with my first observation. Mine are on the sensor, and they do vary depending on aperture setting.