Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpup Quote
I have always seen people hold their DSLR (or any camera) with their right hand, press the viewfinder against the right eye, and close the left eye to take photos. When I got my K-x, I automatically do the same as if it's natural. Last week, I was playing with the Debug mode and taking many pictures when I realized that it's pretty tiring closing my left eye. I switched eye: press the viewfinder to my left eye while keep the right eye open. This actually feel much more natural, less tiring, and (more importantly) allows me to take the photos just fine.

So, do you use your right eye with the left close or use your left eye? Which feel better for you? Maybe I'm the only one who prefer using the left eye.

Thanks!
left or right, how do you shoot with both eyes open? I find that impossible myself

08-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Try to learn to shoot both eyes open, you get less surprises in life with low flying objects coming your way.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-11-2010 at 12:03 PM.
08-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
I don't know how much firearm shooting anyone has done, but when you do that for the first time, you have to determine if you are right or left eye dominant.

Everyone has a eye that is stronger than the other one. In most people, it's the right eye if they are right handed and left eye if they are left handed. In my case, I am right handed but am left eye dominant. That is true for me if I am shooting a pistol or a DSLR.

I think everyone has to just find what works best for them.

Same here. Even though my left eye is the "weaker" one, i.e., it requires the stronger corrective Rx. Interesting...
08-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
What about holding your breath? When I shoot my .357 or any rifle I always hold my breath (it's suppposed to help you hold still better) and I notice I do this when shooting still objects with my camera. Does anybody else do this?
I have found, with both firearms and cameras, that a deep inhale, then let half the air out hold and squeeze the trigger/release gets me a higher percentage of shots without shake.

One's body position is also very important. I have suggested to students that they grasp the camera so that the camera body or the tripod shoe sits in the palm of the left hand with the fingers on the zoom ring or focus ring, depending on what you are shooting with. Raise the camera to your eye (whichever one you use), close both eyes and get things just as comfortable as you can. This reduces the shaking due to stress with an improper hold. Most people find that the left elbow on the left hip bone, head turned to the left, is the most comfortable and stable position. Follow the action from the waist, not the neck and shoulders.

The reason for the turn to the left is that cameras are right handed, not that your left side is more stable than your right. I keep both eyes open whenever the direction of the light allows so that I can see what is coming from each side.

08-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #20
Site Supporter

when shooting sports, it does help to keep both eyes open. helps you to see where the action has moved to.

with practice, it becomes 2nd nature

with breathing, as albert mentions, exhaling half-way and squeezing the shutter works best at least for me.

i also noticed that the Kx is a tad too small for me.

i've added a pad of foam rubber cut up from a pair of slippers (flip-flops) on the base so my left palm can rest easier on the camera.
cost about $4
08-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

both eyes open is the only way to shoot with a long lens in my opnion... I just line up the image in my left eye with that in my right eye. I concentrate on my right eyes image and just use peripherals on my left eye to keep tracking and BANG... I mean CLICK... well it's a KX more like click... took some testing but it is the only way to shoot hockey, BIFs, sports racing, planes, people throwing things at you, etc...
08-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
when shooting sports, it does help to keep both eyes open. helps you to see where the action has moved to.
When sideline it also helps to know when the action is flying straight at you so you can jump out of the way! Happens fairly often.
08-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

It also depends on what eye has a better vision. i use contact lenses and my left eye vision is better than my right one, so I use that eye for manual and macro shots.

08-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
I don't know how much firearm shooting anyone has done, but when you do that for the first time, you have to determine if you are right or left eye dominant.

Everyone has a eye that is stronger than the other one. In most people, it's the right eye if they are right handed and left eye if they are left handed. In my case, I am right handed but am left eye dominant. That is true for me if I am shooting a pistol or a DSLR.

I think everyone has to just find what works best for them.
I am one of the lucky few who haven't really a dominant eye. But apart from that, i almost always use my right eye, it leaves the controlls free. But my left eye is in fact better then my right eye (wearing glasses)

Manual focus is better with my left eye because of that, but haven't used my left eye yet, that is, not till the time i did read this topic
08-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Try to learn to shoot both eyes open, you get less surprises in life with low flying objects coming your way.
And it is even easyer once used to it. If you close one eye, the pupil of that eye is in the dark, so it will become larger than you're other eye and that will cause tired eyes in the long run.
08-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

My left eye is considerably weaker than my right thanks to an astigmatism. However, I do keep both eyes open when I'm focusing with a MF lens in low light conditions, it helps considerably. I also shoot with the left eye to enable my camera to rest on my left shoulder when my head is tilted to the left. This gives me a much steadier shot at low shutter speeds.
08-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sciwhiz Quote
I have my right eye in the viewfinder, but I keep my left eye open and relaxed. Or else my face will be sore after a few hours of wincing one eye continuously.
I can't concentrate on what's in the viewfinder with my left eye open, so I keep it closed. The problem is that I scrunch it shut and my whole face gets into the act. I always look goofy in shots of me shooting.

One of the side effects of doing this is that my left eye can get very blurry after a while.
08-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I can't concentrate on what's in the viewfinder with my left eye open, so I keep it closed. The problem is that I scrunch it shut and my whole face gets into the act. I always look goofy in shots of me shooting.

One of the side effects of doing this is that my left eye can get very blurry after a while.
Dave, it's a matter of practice. It's not easy to get your brain to use one eye for this while you use the other for that, but you can train it. It becomes somewhat more pressing after the first few times your daughter's soccer team beans you with the ball because you can't see it coming.

I found it a bit easier because of being raised in a shooting family (as in rifles and shotguns) where both eyes open is the normal way to shoot when you listen to your Dad who taught many people to shoot during WWII at Camp Borden, Ontario, Canada. He was too old (born Jan 5/1905) to be sent overseas. My mother won silver and gold plaques from the Dominion Rifle Association, so it probably is hiding in my genes somewhere. These days I do all my hunting with a Pentax.

Try starting with a lens and focal length that gives you the same size view in the viewfinder as with your other eye. This will get your eyes used to being open both at the same time with the camera up against one of them. Gradually work your way out in both directions with the lens(es). It will take months, believe me, but it will be worth it the first time you are focusing on a common coot and your other eye sees a great blue heron about to fly past you early enough that you can unlock the tripod and get the shot.