Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Holding your DSLR

I have always seen people hold their DSLR (or any camera) with their right hand, press the viewfinder against the right eye, and close the left eye to take photos. When I got my K-x, I automatically do the same as if it's natural. Last week, I was playing with the Debug mode and taking many pictures when I realized that it's pretty tiring closing my left eye. I switched eye: press the viewfinder to my left eye while keep the right eye open. This actually feel much more natural, less tiring, and (more importantly) allows me to take the photos just fine.

So, do you use your right eye with the left close or use your left eye? Which feel better for you? Maybe I'm the only one who prefer using the left eye.

Thanks!

08-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's actually easier for me to close my right eye than left but my LCD screen has a permenant nose print on the left side and a print of my right cheek (facial ) in the center of the screen. I keep cleaning it off and it keeps reappearing. If I used my left eye in the viewfinder, my face would be in the way of the controls on the right side of the camera.

08-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nope, you're not the only one. I look into the viewfinder with my left eye.

Here is a similar thread: Eye/Hand dominance - which do you shoot with? Bottom line is that it's split down the middle, right eye and left eye.
08-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@JeffJS: lol... also, your avatar shoots with its left eye :0

@ChooseAName: Thanks for the link. You're right - the poll splits almost down the middle. I would never guess that the left eye could be that popular.

08-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm right-oriented; my right eye works with a viewfinder, and my left eye doesn't, and that's the reality (verified just now).

As to holding the camera, especially at slow shutter speeds, it's vital to position yourself firmly. Become a bipod, or brace yourself, and don't stick elbows out to the side. Of course the rules don't apply if you're hanging upside down.
08-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I don't know how much firearm shooting anyone has done, but when you do that for the first time, you have to determine if you are right or left eye dominant.

Everyone has a eye that is stronger than the other one. In most people, it's the right eye if they are right handed and left eye if they are left handed. In my case, I am right handed but am left eye dominant. That is true for me if I am shooting a pistol or a DSLR.

I think everyone has to just find what works best for them.
08-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
I don't know how much firearm shooting anyone has done, but when you do that for the first time, you have to determine if you are right or left eye dominant.
Back in the day, I was fairly good with a .45 ACP, or so the trophies indicate. The basic trick with that is, keep your thumb down, lest it be removed. THEN you find which eye is dominant. THEN you re-learn how to breathe. THEN, if you're serious, you stop drinking stuff that affects vision: alcohol, caffeine, even cow's milk (lactic acid screws with eyeballs). THEN you get into the Zen of shooting. THEN if you're talented and lucky and a tornado doesn't blow through the target range, you win.

I don't know if other parallels can be accurately drawn between photography and firearms. Did M16 training help me when shooting a long lens on a shoulder stock? Some basic disciplines apply: sighting, breathing, posture. Any other parallels just reinforce Susan Sontag's argument that photography is an act of aggression.

08-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Back in the day, I was fairly good with a .45 ACP, or so the trophies indicate. The basic trick with that is, keep your thumb down, lest it be removed. THEN you find which eye is dominant. THEN you re-learn how to breathe. THEN, if you're serious, you stop drinking stuff that affects vision: alcohol, caffeine, even cow's milk (lactic acid screws with eyeballs). THEN you get into the Zen of shooting. THEN if you're talented and lucky and a tornado doesn't blow through the target range, you win.

I don't know if other parallels can be accurately drawn between photography and firearms. Did M16 training help me when shooting a long lens on a shoulder stock? Some basic disciplines apply: sighting, breathing, posture. Any other parallels just reinforce Susan Sontag's argument that photography is an act of aggression.
This is probably not the right thread to get it not this but I have thought that there are many parallels between shooting a firearm and shooting a camera. It might be an interesting thread to start.
08-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote

Everyone has a eye that is stronger than the other one. In most people, it's the right eye if they are right handed and left eye if they are left handed. In my case, I am right handed but am left eye dominant. That is true for me if I am shooting a pistol or a DSLR.

I think everyone has to just find what works best for them.
I've been taught to shoot with both eyes open.
08-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #10

I have my right eye in the viewfinder, but I keep my left eye open and relaxed. Or else my face will be sore after a few hours of wincing one eye continuously.
08-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I mostly compose the shot with my right eye and my left eye closed b/c it allows me to focus better, if I am taking more than one shot I will open my left eye to be more relaxed.

On a related note, I noticed a while ago (and it really bugged me) that I can close my left eye with very little effort, basically just using my eyelid muscles but if I want to close my right eye (leaving my left open) it is a lot more strenuous and takes all the muscles on the right side of my face, leaving me doing an elvis lip thing. I have always wondered if this is normal or if I am some kind of a freak that can't close my right eye as easily as I can close my left eye.
08-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

What about holding your breath? When I shoot my .357 or any rifle I always hold my breath (it's suppposed to help you hold still better) and I notice I do this when shooting still objects with my camera. Does anybody else do this?
08-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #13

I do, I wait until I've exhaled completely to press the shutter when
taking night / low-light pics (camera on monopod).
08-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I do kind of the opposite. I take a deep breath, hold and then take the pic.
08-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I prefer to use my right eye, that way I can use my left eye to follow the action. It takes some training but it works wonders. Now my brain can shift between the two eyes at will.