Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My K110d is good to go

A while back i posted a message about my on camera flash over exposing my pictures. Well a couple of days ago i calibrated my monitor with huey and I looked at my most recent pix. They were all so under exposed. So i looked at them on my camera display. They were really bright. Mostly good exposures because i used av. So i was wondering why they were so different. Turns out i had the brightness up on my screen. It was on +5 and when i set it to 0 it looked just like on my pc. So took some test shots with my flash and they came out great.
Now i gotta go back and edit all the pictures i took that are under exposed.

08-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You bring up a good point that probably gets overlooked. You should also have your monitor setup for daylight temperature too 6200k. Most monitors are set to a very high color temp from factory that gives things a blueish hue because it's "brighter".

The more serious photographers probably have a gadget that calibrates their monitor. But it's a good idea to use programs such as these Display Calibration - DisplayCalibration.com - Calibrate your computer display or monitor online for optimal viewing. Brightness, contrast, color depth, resolution and freeware software downloads. or these Monitor Calibration to calibrate their monitor to something more natural.
08-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
I actually have the huey monitor calibration software. Seems like its doing better for me. I cant really set my laptop monitor to 6200k. My settings are brightness, contrast, and gamma. Thats all i got so im trusting this software to take care of it for me. Afterall, that is whats its for.
08-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #4

I love my huey, too!!!
It's the best when someone opens the shades or turns out the lights, and the monitor adjusts itself to the ambient light.

My prints are now much more true to what I see on screen, but I've noticed that they look too dark, unless I'm viewing them outside in sunlight, or in very bright indoor light. In very good light, they look fine.

So now, when I get 4x6 prints that I _know_ will be primarily viewed indoors in terrible light, I boost my brightness just a little bit more than what I think they need on-screen.

Since I've gotten my Huey, I've decided that post processing without monitor calibration is like driving blindfolded. You can do it, but you might not get to where you think you're going.

Glad to hear you solved your problem! Hopefully you don't have too many shots to go back and fix!!!

-Chris