Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 04:42 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Who actually buys Pop Photo? It feels like a magazine that doesn't really have a purpose except as a large advertisement. Still, I think for outdoors type people, you can't beat the K7 as a sturdy, high quality camera.

08-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
I should pick up a copy to read the entire article they had about the K7. Since most magazines are biased against Pentax and...begrudgingly...give them any kind of kudos I wonder if words like "entry-level", "budget", "beginner", "basic" and the like will be sprinkled about. Juist to stay with their M.O.

Yeah, I'm a cynic. :-P
Not cynicial just stating the obvious. I totally agree with you. The bias is truely there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Pentax must be upping their spending on ads
Ha Ha That was my first thought too!

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I find it funny when then do their "comparisons", and no matter what negatives are pointed out about the similar offerings from Canon and Nikon, Pentax always gets at least a half a star less than its competitors. Even with a camera like the K-7 which they tend to speak highly of, it's just not semi-pro or advanced amateur enough to be rated as highly as the D90 or 50D. They always say, "Even though the K-7 is a great camera, unless you're already heavily invested in Pentax gear you should probably look elsewhere because of ____________ (fill in the blank)".
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
It's a nice bit of publicity for Pentax, but "Pop Photo" does suck.

Rob
Both true. I dumped my subscription because it seemed to be a joke. A big add for the Big two. Then some photoshop tip and then some basic photography 'quick tip.'

I lost all respect when they started to run the so called camera shoot outs. Guess who won. Hint you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. Depends on who released the latest model and if it was before running the "shootout."

They never gave SR any considerationin determining the winner...until the big two decided to add IS to their respective kits. Then Popphoto began to include this as an important criteria and ,of course, IS is good for 4 stops and SR maybe 1-2.
08-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why is it shown with a Sigma lens attached to it?
08-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Why is it shown with a Sigma lens attached to it?
Because that very lens is also a Best Buy. This time there's a plausible reason

08-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Not cynicial just stating the obvious. I totally agree with you. The bias is truely there.

Ha Ha That was my first thought too!

Both true. I dumped my subscription because it seemed to be a joke. A big add for the Big two. Then some photoshop tip and then some basic photography 'quick tip.'

I lost all respect when they started to run the so called camera shoot outs. Guess who won. Hint you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. Depends on who released the latest model and if it was before running the "shootout."

They never gave SR any considerationin determining the winner...until the big two decided to add IS to their respective kits. Then Popphoto began to include this as an important criteria and ,of course, IS is good for 4 stops and SR maybe 1-2.
You Know why PopPhoto does that to Pentax? I will bet a Dollar Canon or Nikon pays PopPhoto to keep Pentax out as much as possible! Just my $0.02
08-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

That whole thing was a joke. I don't think there was a DSLR under $1000 that they didn't list as a Best Buy.
08-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
That whole thing was a joke. I don't think there was a DSLR under $1000 that they didn't list as a Best Buy.
And from a certain point of view, that's absolutely right. The current crop of dSLRs is amazing.
09-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #23

I still read Pop Photo, but I used to like it more when it had Norman Rotchilds and Modern Photography had Herbert Keppler (which i used to read too)... and wait, when Petersen's Photographic magazine used to have David Brooks writing many really instructive articles for it. Pentax has survived photo press turnmoil so far. I hope it keeps surviving.

09-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

a blast from the past..
09-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
a blast from the past..
No kidding. The time when Pentax was making interesting cameras. And under Hoya too!

I got the K-7 as soon as I could order it on Amazon and never had any regrets.

It was $1200 and people were whining that it is too expensive and that their pinkies are falling off the grip. Then came the comparisons with the K20D and the claims that there is a huge difference at high ISO. And when the K-x came out, the performance of that sensor in a plastic package felt like a really odd maneuver from Pentax.

It's nice to see that 2 years later bodies are still released with the K-7 style and everyone finally figured out how to solve the slipping pinkie problem.

But to really get this thread fired again, a question is needed: how about FF?
09-27-2012, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
everyone finally figured out how to solve the slipping pinkie problem.
Looks like they have a grip on it now.
09-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
No kidding. The time when Pentax was making interesting cameras. And under Hoya too!

I got the K-7 as soon as I could order it on Amazon and never had any regrets.

It was $1200 and people were whining that it is too expensive and that their pinkies are falling off the grip. Then came the comparisons with the K20D and the claims that there is a huge difference at high ISO. And when the K-x came out, the performance of that sensor in a plastic package felt like a really odd maneuver from Pentax.

It's nice to see that 2 years later bodies are still released with the K-7 style and everyone finally figured out how to solve the slipping pinkie problem.

But to really get this thread fired again, a question is needed: how about FF?
I like K-7. I really enjoy using this camera, almost as much as K10D. K-5 on the other hand . . . . .
09-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I like K-7. I really enjoy using this camera, almost as much as K10D.
Just used it yesterday. I actually enjoy the shape and control layout much better than the K10D, but the K10D is still a very nice camera to use.
09-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Love the K-7! And using it everyday! =)
09-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #30
Site Supporter

The K5 is what the K7 should have been (I guess the K5 II is what the K5 should have been?). Nice form factor, but with significantly better image quality at both low and high iso.

Funny, because it wasn't long after the K7 was released that people were clamoring for a kx sensor in a K7 body, well the K5 is better than that...