Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10 shutter release will not work after accident, advice sought

Hi All.

I was out in the Smokys when my daughter and her friends managed to knock over my tripod with a K10D on it. The result was a camera that the shutter release button no longer works, but everything else seems to be ok (I can still view photos for example). The camera has another issue too, it frequently asks me to protect the images, while they are being viewed, rather annoying.

Based on what I've heard about repairs, the camera would likely cost well over $250 in repairs, maybe even $350. With those kind of numbers it makes more sense to put the money into a K7, which sounds like a better camera for my kind of nature photography anyway (I tend to use equipment in 'harsh conditions' and it sounds like the K7 is a more resilient body) . It is hard to justify the repairs when a 'LN' K10D can be purchased from KEH for something like $350.

That said I now have a less than functional K10D body on my hands. I'm going to sell the virtually new battery grip (I even have the special Kirk Enterprise Arca Swiss plate for it), but I was wondering if anyone has a sense of what would be a reasonable price to sell the body for. If there is a cheap way to fix the body I wouldn't mind having it as a backup (I use film body backups currently), but having fixed more than my fair share of cameras over the years I don't think the equation works out right to get the body fixed. Pity..

Your council is appreciated.

08-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would get a replacement camera and have the kids help pay for it :-)
08-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Does the shutter release button on the attached grip work, or are both buttons broken? If you can fire the shutter using the grip, it may not be a bad idea to keep it as a backup body as you suggested.
08-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If the problem is the shutter button only, and the shutter mechanism and everything else works, then this might be a viable option:

Pentax Cable Switch 205 37248 - B&H Photo Video

08-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
If the problem is the shutter button only, and the shutter mechanism and everything else works, then this might be a viable option:

Pentax Cable Switch 205 37248 - B&H Photo Video
Excellent suggestion! Just map the AF function to the AF button and you can use a cable release to fire the shutter. It could be a great backup if/when the need arises (i.e. next time your tripod gets knocked over and something worse happens!)
08-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can also try the IR remote if it does still work to see if the shutter does still trip.
08-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Excellent suggestion! Just map the AF function to the AF button and you can use a cable release to fire the shutter. It could be a great backup if/when the need arises (i.e. next time your tripod gets knocked over and something worse happens!)
Actually, that particular remote functions just like the shutter button-a half-press will engage af, then full press to fire the shutter. The button also locks, so it can be used in bulb mode.

08-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I did try a remote, it didn't seem to work. I hadn't thought about the battery pack, I'll give it a try tonight.
08-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I would sell the kids to pay for the new camera or the repair.
08-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I would sell the kids to pay for the new camera or the repair.
No, just put them to work to help pay for a new camera!

You can get a quote from Pentax repair before sending it. Just a thought
08-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #11

Its this or its that

Well, if the IR remote didn't work, and the battery pack button doesn't work, it definitely sounds like its not the shutter release, but the shutter itself.

Now you have to see how risky you want to get. I have seen some cameras where the shutter curtain gets caught on itself, stopping itself from going through its full motion. Especially in film cameras, it can be as easy as reaching in and playing with the curtain to see if it releases. If its a lost cause already......

Maybe you would like to take a picture of the curtain so us K10 owners can compare. Also, is there any sort of error message that pops up?

I would also look at downgrading the firmware and reinstalling - it may fix the issue with file protection.