Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #1

Samsung GX20 (K20) help, please

Hi.

I just added a used GX20 to my bag and it is having some issues. Whenever I do anything with the SD slot (ie. open the door, remove the card) the camera hangs up on me. The camera will, at that point, have power but can't resolve any tasks. The shutter and DOF preview will work, but all other buttons won't. Powering it down doesn't work, instead it seems to kill half the power only. The only way to get the thing to work like normal is to pull the battery and reinstall.

Otherwise, this body is like new with less than 4k clicks, according to PhotoMe. The original owner is offering me a refund, but I would like to keep the camera as long as this issue isn't the lid to a can of worms.

I have let the battery drain and recharged it to see if that would help- nope.
I also updated to the newest firmware to remedy the issue and that didn't help either.

So, if anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.

08-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This sounds more like permanent damage than a small glitch. It's normal for the camera to shut down whenever the SD slot is open, but it should go back to normal once it's closed again. Is that not the case for you?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It sounds as if there is a problem with the SD PC board.
Depending upon your skills, you could disassemble the camera....
You can find the K10D manual (it has the same construction) here:
http://www.pentax-hack.info/firmware/k10_gx10/k10d_sm.zip
Look for the 0-T970(SD circuit block), on page 13 of the manual.

Good luck....

- Bert
08-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This sounds more like permanent damage than a small glitch. It's normal for the camera to shut down whenever the SD slot is open, but it should go back to normal once it's closed again. Is that not the case for you?
It shuts off when I open the card slot and powers back up when I close it, but it fails.

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
It sounds as if there is a problem with the SD PC board.
Depending upon your skills, you could disassemble the camera....
You can find the K10D manual (it has the same construction) here:
http://www.pentax-hack.info/firmware/k10_gx10/k10d_sm.zip
Look for the 0-T970(SD circuit block), on page 13 of the manual.

Good luck....

- Bert
I would be afraid to open it up...

08-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I suggest turning off the camera before opening the card door and removing the card. Try this a few times and see if it helps. I have this thing about turning electronics off before changing configurations. I have seen far too many failures resulting from improper removal/disconnection of devices.
08-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by allill Quote
Hi.

I just added a used GX20 to my bag and it is having some issues. Whenever I do anything with the SD slot (ie. open the door, remove the card) the camera hangs up on me. The camera will, at that point, have power but can't resolve any tasks. The shutter and DOF preview will work, but all other buttons won't. Powering it down doesn't work, instead it seems to kill half the power only. The only way to get the thing to work like normal is to pull the battery and reinstall.

Otherwise, this body is like new with less than 4k clicks, according to PhotoMe. The original owner is offering me a refund, but I would like to keep the camera as long as this issue isn't the lid to a can of worms.

I have let the battery drain and recharged it to see if that would help- nope.
I also updated to the newest firmware to remedy the issue and that didn't help either.

So, if anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.
Take the refund if all the simple stuff has failed. Different card, different battery, etc.

08-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Take the refund if all the simple stuff has failed. Different card, different battery, etc.

Agreed. Better you get out of it than fight with a lemon over the next few months (years).
08-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would ask for a refund, too. And, it's not the best idea to remove a card from a powered up camera.

08-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Dear ALLILL, please don't fret. Try a hard reset - see your camera's menu option for this feature. Shine a light down the card slot to make sure you don't have bad or bent contacts. I am sure you have tried a new sandisk extreme III card in the slot - this is the only card I trust and use with my K20D.
And please NEVER change cards with the switch on. Shut off the camera first. This is sound advice from a master mechanic and an electronics expert.
If this fails, do return the camera for a refund.
08-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
I would ask for a refund, too. And, it's not the best idea to remove a card from a powered up camera.
The K20D (I own) has a small micro-switch in contact with the SD card door. When the door opens the switch shuts power off to the camera. So its completely safe opening the door with the main power-switch on with the K20D. When you shut the door, the micro-switch turns the power back on.

The OP is doing as he should and should get a full refund. Its not worth trying to fix as it can be the main PCB that needs replacing as its apparent the switch is working but there is a problem, where?

Get a refund now
08-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Lots of good advice here, time I'm afraid for money back.