Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #1

K10D firmware update question

Hey guys, about 2 mths ago I purchased a K10D - LN cond- from KEH. And I'm really enjoying learning to use my first dslr. So now, I'm ready to update the firmware on it - it still has ver1.0.
and I would like to know what is the best procedure for uploading the firmware? By the way, it didn't come with any of the usb cables when I ordered it.

08-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is only one way

Follow the instructions on the pentax site

Start with fully charged battery
Download the software and unzipped it
Copy the file to the root directory of the sd card
Put the card into the camera and turn the camera on and hold menu while doing so
Follow the prompts and install the software
08-12-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Just go to the Pentax web site and follow the instructions exactly, it should be quite straight forward, well even I managed it.
08-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

As Lowell said, there's really only one way to do it. Nevertheless, people sometimes make mistakes.

Probably the most common mistake is not putting the .bin file in the ROOT of the SD card. Format a memory card in the camera. Copy the unzipped .bin file to the root, not the DCIM folder.

Another mistake I've seen is to not unzip the file.

Make sure your batteries are fully charged. If the battery dies during the update, you may have a very expensive brick on your hands.

Someone once came here, saying that they couldn't update their K-x firmware. It turned out that they were trying to use the update file intended for a K100D. Make sure you have the one intended for the K10D. The good news is that the firmware is smart enough to ignore an incorrect file. It just doesn't tell you. It simply sits there doing nothing.

The update should only take a minute or so, if that. If it takes much longer, something is wrong. Problems almost always occur only when someone fails to follow the instructions.

Good luck. Its really not hard to do.

08-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I would actually suggest going to Pentax FW v1.20 rather than the latest. This turns everything on except SDM support..

http://www.pentax-hack.info/firmware/k10_gx10/k10e120w.exe

You can get the USB cables on ebay for a few bucks..

pentax k10d usb items - Get great deals on Camera Accessories, Camcorder Accessories items on eBay.com!

pentax np-400 items - Get great deals on Camera Accessories, Camcorder Accessories items on eBay.com!

Enjoy your new camera!

08-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

JeffJS Why do you feel that one should only upgrade to 1.20 firm ware and go to 1.30 : Thanks
08-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sqjaw Quote
JeffJS Why do you feel that one should only upgrade to 1.20 firm ware and go to 1.30 : Thanks
1.30 only turns on SDM support. All of the other features are available in v1.20. Unless you have the lenses, it isn't a needed option. I think 1.31 has something to do with cards but I never had a problem in that area.

I don't feel that one should or shouldn't. It's merely a suggestion.

08-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Also worth noting is that you can't use the hex hack to roll back from v 1.31. Thus, it's a one-way trip and if you have any SDM lenses, you're limited when those fail.

Good to know about 1.20 working for all the other features. I've been rolling back and forth between 1.30 and 1.10 to use a non-working SDM lens and have missed tethering.