Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2007, 12:56 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D image rotation - what am I doing wrong?

G'day

One of the features that I was quite keen on when I was researching digital cameras was automatic rotation of images because I shoot in "portrait" mode a lot. I understood "automatic rotation" to mean that if I took a picture in "portrait" mode (ie, with the camera held "sideways") that a sensor inside the K10D would detect that I had turned the camera and would download it to my computer in "portrait" mode - thus saving me the chore of turning 70% or more of my images before I can even start work on them. I have set "Saving Rotation Info" to ON and yet all my images transfer in "landscape" mode irrespective. What am I doing wrong?

Incidentally I can get it to rotate in playback without a problem, so I know the sensor is sensing correctly. But that's pretty pointless - if you turned the camera to shoot, you can turn it to look at the LCD. Turning my computer monitor is harder!!!

Any advice gratefully received...!!

08-24-2007, 01:13 AM   #2
PDL
Pentaxian

Are you shooting JPEG or RAW?

I do not use JPEG on my K10D, but when I shoot RAW it does automatically rotate the image. When the image is first displayed on the LCD screen it is not rotated, but when I go to reiview, they are rotated as expected. Try switching to RAW and see what happens.

Just for reference, my *ist Ds does not have the rotation sensor, so I spend a lot of time rotating images. Also on the Ds, JPEG's do not stay rotated at all, but RAW's do. Go figure.

PDL
08-24-2007, 01:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It does it automatically on my K10D ... must be a setting somewhere in the menu ... might be in the custom settings.

I haven't used RAW yet ... just JPG.

Also when reviewing the pics on the camera ... there's an option on it that I can rotate the image on the camera using the down arrow I think under the OK button.
08-24-2007, 01:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check the menu again. I seem to remember there are two settings: one to rotate on playback and one to rotate on download to computer.

08-24-2007, 01:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
Like Simon, I am new to the game and at the moment I am just shooting JPGs while I learn at least some of the bells and whistles. I'll try RAW and report back - it does seem strange, doesn't it?

Yes, Peter, there are two options (like you say, one for playback and one you would THINK would be for download to computer) and I've tried various combinations of "on"s and "off"s to no avail...
08-24-2007, 01:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks PDL, you are quite right - it rotates as expected in RAW, but not in JPG. So Simon, can you explain how you have achieved it in JPG??? Could you tell me exactly how you have those two menu items configured please?
08-24-2007, 01:54 AM   #7
baw

EXIF Rotation tag..

All the camera does is set the EXIF rotation tag according to the way your camera was held when shooting.
Your image viewer on the computer has to be "rotation aware" to display the images correctly.
eg. Irfanview is.

08-24-2007, 02:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yeeeeessss...? So why is, say, Photoshop or Pentax Photo Laboratory only "rotation aware" for RAW but not for JPG? Can I set anything in the software itself or computer to make them "image aware" for JPGs?
08-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #9
baw

QuoteQuote:
Yeeeeessss...? So why is, say, Photoshop or Pentax Photo Laboratory only "rotation aware" for RAW but not for JPG?
Perhaps ask the software developers?
I use iMatch (and sometimes Irfanview). If you set Irfanview to "Autorotate image according to EXIF info" it does so as expected.
08-24-2007, 04:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You can use the open source and cross-platform program jhead to rotate jpegs losslessly according to its exif tags.

Exif Jpeg header and thumbnail manipulator program
08-24-2007, 06:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mandi Quote
Yeeeeessss...? So why is, say, Photoshop or Pentax Photo Laboratory only "rotation aware" for RAW but not for JPG? Can I set anything in the software itself or computer to make them "image aware" for JPGs?
There is a Saving rotation flag info option in Customs settings, by default it's on so rotation should be recorded (P207 of the manual).

You can check by installing PhotoME which will allow you to view the complete EXIF tags for JPG, PEF and DNG files. The tag for a vertical/portrait orientated image should be:

Orientation of image: 90° CW (left/bottom)

Cheers,
08-24-2007, 06:25 AM   #12
baw

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
The tag for a vertical/portrait orientated image should be:
Orientation of image: 90° CW (left/bottom)

Cheers,
That is if you rotate the camera counterclockwise, for clockwise rotaters it will be right/top.
08-24-2007, 06:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baw Quote
That is if you rotate the camera counterclockwise, for clockwise rotaters it will be right/top.
Indeed, being a non-grip user I forget, the other rotation position would put me into a rather contorted pose ;-)
08-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #14
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mandi Quote
G'day
One of the features that I was quite keen on when I was researching digital cameras was automatic rotation of images because I shoot in "portrait" mode a lot. I understood "automatic rotation" to mean that if I took a picture in "portrait" mode (ie, with the camera held "sideways") that a sensor inside the K10D would detect that I had turned the camera and would download it to my computer in "portrait" mode - thus saving me the chore of turning 70% or more of my images before I can even start work on them. I have set "Saving Rotation Info" to ON and yet all my images transfer in "landscape" mode irrespective. What am I doing wrong?
Re: "What am I doing wrong?"

Nothing. From my experience, that 'feature' just marks the image in EXIF as 'rotated'. It's up to the viewing program to read that and rotate the image during rendering. It does -NOT- rotate the image pixels' physically when you download it.

When I view the image in Pentax's supplied Photo Browser, the image is rendered as rotated. When I view the image in the built-in Windows XP Image Viewer, or post it to my Fotki account, the image is -not- rotated. reason being because neither Microsoft's viewer program, or the Fotki online service, read and react to the EXIF rotation information.

In the end, until more image rendering programs/services read and react to rotation info, you have to manually rotate your images.
08-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The save rotation data works just fine in .jpg mode. Make sure your camera is set to save rotation data in the menu and use a program like Pentax PhotoLab or Picasa2, etc. Both recognize the rotation data and will display your photos in the correct orientation.