Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
Forum Member

I use Powergenix Ni-Zn batteries with my K200D and K-X with no problems. I don't use them in my flash though.

08-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Marc, the faster AF is a big part of why I bought them. I also get faster AF with the good old energizer lithium disposables, but hate throwing away batteries.

Also, I posted this because I haven't seen anything in the past. Like I said, the issue was non-destructive, but continued lock-up conditions can toast a transistor, which could ruin your camera. So they should be safe to test, but stop if anything acts funny. Transistors are made to certain tolerances, and mine must be a bit low on what it can take.

For the voltage regulator guys, sure there are such circuits protecting the sensitive electronics, but why bother on components that don't need it? The AF motor could probably run on 9v without issue, same for a lot of the gear inside the camera. It's just that one of these circuits has an unusually finicky transistor that malfunctions when freshly charged NiZn's are put in place. These guys are just short of 2v a piece, meaning a circuit designed for maybe 7.2v, allowing for battery variation, is getting 8v.

Last edited by m88k; 08-15-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: bad math; fixed number
08-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
About those flashes

Actually, I've been running the NiZn's in my mecablitz 48 and yn460 flashes, and they perform beautifully, as far as I know the issue is only with one of the pentax models.

Also, I just found this similar problem reported by a k7 owner with battery grip.