Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
NiZn Batteries: A warning

I bought a set of powergenix nizn batteries off amazon a while back, tried using them on a trip. Out of the box, they worked great in my k100d. However, after a recharge, the voltage was apparently too much for some part of my system. After a couple shots, the shutter just kept going.

Just a non-destructive transistor lock up most likely, but if anything acts funny after you start using nizn batteries, I'd discontinue using them in said device.

All that said, they seem awesome in flashes so far. (Don't use them in pentax brand flashes!)

08-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Why not use them in Pentax brand flashes vs. other flashes?

Paul
08-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got a set of NiZn batteries too, rated at 2500mA and 1.6v. Seller said it's good for flash. Tried them in my Metz flash, worked okay. But I have some problem recharging them w/ my LaCrosse charger. Somehow the charger always shows those batteries are full, even after a couple hundred flashing

BTW, mine are these:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/09/powergenix-nizn-rechargeable-aa-batteries...-some-cells-w/

Thought it over, it's probably a bad idea to charge these NiZn batteries w/ a NiMh battery charger ....
08-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I got a set of NiZn batteries too, rated at 2500mA and 1.6v. Seller said it's good for flash. Tried them in my Metz flash, worked okay. But I have some problem recharging them w/ my LaCrosse charger. Somehow the charger always shows those batteries are full, even after a couple hundred flashing

BTW, mine are these:
PowerGenix NiZn rechargeable AA batteries: finally, some cells worth buying -- Engadget

Thought it over, it's probably a bad idea to charge these NiZn batteries w/ a NiMh battery charger ....

Even says in the article you posted: the special charger (needed for charging NiZn batteries)

08-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Paul, when these batteries first came out, there was news on the forum about them causing one of the Pentax flashes, I believe the 360, to go poof. Apparently Pentax skimped on the overvoltage protection, and these flashes can't handle batteries with too much juice. This is quite concerning, seeing as I've occasionally seen alkalines with voltages nearly as high. I made the comment about Pentax flashes in general as a CYA; I don't want to feel responsible for anyone's dead flash.

Frank, NiZn batteries, fully discharged, are at 1.6 volts or so, and fully charged, they're at 1.9; a traditional charger only goes up to 1.2 volts, rendering your LaCross useless for charging NiZn batteries. Also, NiZn's are supposed to be topped up, like lead acids, if I remember correctly. Draining them isn't recommended.
08-12-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter

NiZn's need their own charger. you can not use NiMh chargers with these batteries.

After a recharge, the voltage is usually 1.7 - 1.8 v but decreases quickly when used to 1.6 and stays there

Some devices can't tolerate the higher voltage (note: the nominal voltage is 1.6 just like NiMh's that fresh out of the charger are usually at 1.4v but drops to 1.2v nominal)

Some flash units have been reported to burn out w/ these batteries.
I've used them on my K2000 w/o issue, however, YMMV
08-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Forum Member

I have not heard of this type before. The voltage range does seem like it would cause problems in devices that are designed for 1.2 to 1.5 volts. Are they supposed to be better than the NiMH's?
08-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
Even says in the article you posted: the special charger (needed for charging NiZn batteries)
I got the batteries before I saw the article It's not that I really want the batteries, it's someone passed to me and asked me test them out. But he didn't give me a charger for it

QuoteOriginally posted by m88k Quote

Frank, NiZn batteries, fully discharged, are at 1.6 volts or so, and fully charged, they're at 1.9; a traditional charger only goes up to 1.2 volts, rendering your LaCross useless for charging NiZn batteries. Also, NiZn's are supposed to be topped up, like lead acids, if I remember correctly. Draining them isn't recommended.
Yeah, that's what I figured too. I'm not buying a special charger for them. Got enough eneloop batteries already. Probably just keep them as souvenir

08-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about GP "Gold Peak"? GP is very good. I think now 2700mah or 3200mah.
08-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
wll
Veteran Member

I use NiZn for my K-x-and they work great, if the new K-r works with Lithium and rechargeables I will sell the K-x and get the new model, as long as the new model has the same sensor or an upgrade to the K-x ......... no K-7 crappy high ISO stuff.

wll
08-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
I have not heard of this type before. The voltage range does seem like it would cause problems in devices that are designed for 1.2 to 1.5 volts. Are they supposed to be better than the NiMH's?
Well, they are higher voltage. That could be better for some devices, and in particular, with a Pentax DSLR, would potentially speed AF by running the motor faster. Plus they'd likely keep their voltage above the necessary threshold for more shots because they are starting higher. But not all devices can handle the higher voltage. Do a search - there have been several threads on this topic before. This is the first I've heard of anyone reporting any negative effect form using these in a Pentax DSLR.
08-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Well, they are higher voltage. That could be better for some devices, and in particular, with a Pentax DSLR, would potentially speed AF by running the motor faster. Plus they'd likely keep their voltage above the necessary threshold for more shots because they are starting higher. But not all devices can handle the higher voltage. Do a search - there have been several threads on this topic before. This is the first I've heard of anyone reporting any negative effect form using these in a Pentax DSLR.
OK, thanks. I install mobile electronics for a living and most of those have a range of about 11 to 15 volts operating range. If a voltage regulator goes out and the alternator goes over that, the component shuts down to protect itself.

I didn't know if that would be the case with photo gear.
08-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There is a voltage regulator circuit in-between batteries and electronics to provide constant voltage. Depending on the type of regulator, too much voltage can cause overheating of the regulator circuit, leading to component failure if there is no thermal shutdown circuit. Switching regulators do not have the overheating problem. Some switching regulators can even increase the battery voltage when batteries run low, to provide the voltage required by electronics. These typically include shutoff circuitry because as the battery voltage dips lower, the additional current requirements to achieve the voltage required by electronics can cause overheating. Of course all this additional circuitry costs more.

"potentially speed AF by running the motor faster." is bogus information imho. <<< WRONG! see next post.

Last edited by rhodopsin; 08-13-2010 at 04:47 PM.
08-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter

no, not bogus

the AF DOES run faster with NiZn's, that's a known fact from many folks who have tried this type of battery.

definitely, NOT bogus

whether of not it causes harm to the camera is another issue.
08-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
the AF DOES run faster with NiZn's, that's a known fact from many folks who have tried this type of battery.

definitely, NOT bogus

whether of not it causes harm to the camera is another issue.
Thanks. Post has been edited.