Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K7 Battery Short?

Hi, I purchased my first DSLR a Pentax K7 last month and have noticed a bizarre issue i fear i will need return for warranty.

The battery discharges itself over a few days.. If i leave the battery in the Camera for a day or two, when i return the battery will be dead flat. I have since gotten a 3rd party battery grip and spent time testing with two batteries and swapping the orignal battery with a 3rd party and i have the same result.

The batteries in the battery grip will seemingly keep their charge, but anytime a battery is in the body it will be dead-flat. I use the term dead flat because they seem to be cold temperature and the Pentax charger will even flash the green light to show 0% charge. (usually the light stays green)....

Anyone care to throw some suggestions at me? Has anyone here heard of such a problem with Pentax K-? Cameras. I really don't want to send it back just for this battery issue, as it's otherwise perfect. Ideas welcome!

08-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Send it back.
That isn't normal, and since you've tested it with 2 batteries, it would pretty much have to be the body at fault.
Send back the OEM battery with the cameras so they can reference it to standard as well.
08-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

+1
This is not normal. Send the camera for warranty repair.
08-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I will send it back then. I have been slowly adding a few lenses haven't had much chance to play, Now i have to go without it, Grrrrr!

08-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If it's only a monthly old, go for an OTC replacement rather than a repair. Depending on who your vendor was, there is a good chance they'll do it for you after such a short ownership period.
I know my local vendor will pretty much OTC replace any camera that goes flaky within the first few months
08-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I leave the batteries in mine for so long that I actually forget when the last time I charged them was. That's with All my cameras. Definitely not normal for them to drain in a couple days of just sitting. The only situation I can think of where You would be causing that is if you have the camera set to never turn off with inactivity (I do) and forget to turn it off (I have).

11-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
i have the same problem with battery
hou you resolved the problem?
11-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by koper Quote
i have the same problem with battery
hou you resolved the problem?
I have not as yet, I've been too busy using the K-7 to send it back for repair as yet.

I've been using a 3rd party battery grip, the grip does not exhibit the problem, So i have kept the grip on for 3months and it's worked fine.

Perhaps if i upgrade to a K-5, I can finally send it for repair.

11-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
I have not as yet, I've been too busy using the K-7 to send it back for repair as yet.

I've been using a 3rd party battery grip, the grip does not exhibit the problem, So i have kept the grip on for 3months and it's worked fine.

Perhaps if i upgrade to a K-5, I can finally send it for repair.
Or, run out of warranty space first, maybe?
You're a procrastinator. Get it fixed or replaced asap.
That was pretty expensive for an odd lemon.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-13-2010 at 07:12 PM.
11-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Or, run out of warranty space first, maybe?
You're a procrastinator. Get it fixed or replaced asap.
That was pretty expensive for an odd lemon.

.R.

I still have about 7-8months warranty on my K-7 so not too worried, Not really procrastinating, I simply have no need to send it for repairs until i can afford to be without it. Besides it would give me a good excuse to upgrade to a K-5.

But yes I would recommend to 'koper' send it for repairs, back to Pentax.

(It may be interesting to compare serial numbers!)
11-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote

Besides it would give me a good excuse to upgrade to a K-5.
ROFL! That takes the cake for being the most weird improvised reason to justify buying a K-5 that I've read yet. Just go and order one anyway Scott, a new K-5 would make a nice pre-chrissy present for self.

.R.
11-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #12

i personaly think that the problem is that i work in wrong camera mode
currently i charge the battery before shooting and have extra battery arround me
11-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I leave the batteries in mine for so long that I actually forget when the last time I charged them was. That's with All my cameras. Definitely not normal for them to drain in a couple days of just sitting. The only situation I can think of where You would be causing that is if you have the camera set to never turn off with inactivity (I do) and forget to turn it off (I have).

Same here. I've had batteries at half charge sit in the camera for a week and still work. (I have 3 batteries. They are numbered 1 - 3. I only charge them as I run them down and keep them in rotating use.)
12-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #14

i think that there is a need to reset all camera functions to original state-it resolves the problem
i have done this and till now the problem with batteries did not repeated