Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 04:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
AF in Live View with K-7

Firmware 1.10 was good except the change made to how AF works in LV. In short: I think the former mode (AF only when pressing the AF button) was much better. Therefore, I hope a new FW update will include this option for LV, for example as an option in Custom Function 14.

08-12-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't you still use the AF button if you want?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Can't you still use the AF button if you want?
You can still use the AF button in Live View. However, after you use it, if you have the press halfway enabled (custom function 14, which is the default) then it will re-autofocus when you try and take a picture. You can change custom function 14 to get rid of the AF with shutter press halfway, but then it also goes away in normal (non Live-View) mode.

So if I understand the OP correctly, the OP would like to see more options in custom function 14, something like this:

AF with Press Halfway
1. On - Both (Normal and LV)
2. On - Normal Only
3. On - Live View Only
4. Off
08-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
So if I understand the OP correctly, the OP would like to see more options in custom function 14, something like this:

AF with Press Halfway
2. On - Normal Only
3. On - Live View Only
4. Off
Correct

08-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's certainly a change that could be easily made via a firmware update, but I don't think it's very likely that Pentax would make such a change. I suppose if they received a lot of feedback suggesting it is a worthwhile change, perhaps they might in a future firmware release. In the meantime I think you'll have to toggle between option 1 and 2 if you want the halfway press for normal view and none for live view.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Correct

AF with Press Halfway
2. On - Normal Only
3. On - Live View Only
4. Off
08-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Can't you hold down the AF button in LV and it will maintain that focus point while you trip the shutter?

(sorry I'm asking this question because I don't have access to the manual right now)
08-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

yes it can be hold.

I'm to not so amused with this change. I used the AF button in LV and then change things in the frame, so a new focussing with the press of the picturetaking is not zo handy.

Maybe we can make a list of new wishes for the next Firmware upgrade.
08-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Can't you hold down the AF button in LV and it will maintain that focus point while you trip the shutter?

(sorry I'm asking this question because I don't have access to the manual right now)
It wouldn't be in the manual (or at least I don't think so) but yes, you can continue to hold the AF button, recompose if desired, then shoot.

08-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It wouldn't be in the manual (or at least I don't think so) but yes, you can continue to hold the AF button, recompose if desired, then shoot.

Yeah, holding the AF button would work, but I can see how it would be easier if you had the extra options to customize it.
08-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Of course there are workarounds. But they are still not as good as it was, and could be, which would cost justabout nothing to implement.
You may for example reverse the function of the AF-button. But since this only stops the AF-motor you can still not focus manually with the wonderful Pentax focus clutch lenses. And since you already have your thumb on the AF-button, you can't press the Info-button to magnify either.
Lastly, since Live View is something you need in akward positions you don't want any extra buttons to press.
The same concerns apply to Movie mode.
08-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Yeah, holding the AF button would work, but I can see how it would be easier if you had the extra options to customize it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Of course there are workarounds. But they are still not as good as it was, and could be, which would cost justabout nothing to implement.
You may for example reverse the function of the AF-button. But since this only stops the AF-motor you can still not focus manually with the wonderful Pentax focus clutch lenses. And since you already have your thumb on the AF-button, you can't press the Info-button to magnify either.
Lastly, since Live View is something you need in akward positions you don't want any extra buttons to press.
The same concerns apply to Movie mode.
You're both correct of course, there is always room for improvement. As for using live view at awkward angles, it would make more sense if we had a flip screen like P&S cameras have been doing for years. THAT would be an improvement worth raving about! Whatever I can see in the screen, I can see in the viewfinder. Once in awhile I'll use the screen for a low shooting angle but that's for making sure what I want is in the frame to begin with.

08-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One thing which previously kept irritating me with the K-7's Live View was that half-press Shutter DID NOT trigger Auto Focus.

I read the manual, and understood Live View AF behaved differently.
But many times I plain forgot , especially with a fast changing scene. The result was an Unfocused shot.

I was very happy with the change with Firmware 1.10, but I can accept that other people have different shooting styles - a customisable menu setting would make sense.