Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
My autofocus is broken? Please Help!

HI

Today wanted to make some photos with my Pentax K20 and DA macro 35mm limited.

I don't know why the autofocus stopped working. If I swich the button on AF.C or AF.S the MF still show on my display when I look thru lens. Does it means my autofocus was froken? The camera is like new bought one year ago.

The same problem with the kit lens 18-55mm II. It does not matter where I let the button or AF or MF..it's like the camera does not respond. It still show MF on display and don't want to autofocus.

Does it means the autofocus is broken or..is something from menu?

What should I do. Does anyone faces this problem too?

Thanks for your help,
Marius

08-12-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Remove the lens, and check the screw drive on the body mount. Is it retracted or extended? It should be retracted if the switch is set to mf, otherwise it should be extended. If it's retracted when it should be extended, maybe it is stuck, try jiggling it to free it.

Other than that, I'm drawing a blank.
08-12-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for your reply MPrince.

Yes, the screw body works fine. It's extended when AF and retracted when MF. The problem is that the camera still show me MF on the display when looking thru lens.

Anyone any other idea what should be the reason.

Thanks
08-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

if the contacts are clean then I'm sorry for you because probably your camera has a major defect. Any other signs, does the focus confirmation appears when you do MF, can you take pictures?
I know it sucks, my sensor went bad a few weeks ago and it was not a nice feeling.

Try resetting it, change the batteries. Good luck!

08-13-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
yes the focus confirmation appear, everything works well, I can take photos on MF. Just can't take photos using AF. Even if a put the camera on AF, the MF indicatior still appears on my display. Have no idea why.

Maybe because the batter is low? I'll try to charge it.

Last edited by marius; 08-13-2010 at 03:22 AM.
08-13-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

try a factory reset from the menu and refresh the battery.

The simplest explanation could be that the AF switch on the body is faulty - try to jiggle it a little, make a few dozens complete switches, maybe use a contact spray on the button and make 5 minutes of swithing in all positions with the battery removed (although the body being weather sealed, the cleaning liquid might not reach the contact) then wait a couple of hours hour for the contact spray to dry and try again with the battery in and power on.