Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Where'd you start - 35mm SLR or dSLR?
35mm SLR 16279.80%
APS-c dSLR 4019.70%
FF dSLR 10.49%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Minolta SRT101

08-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep those KX's are something special. I just had a crappy Kodak Instamatic before my KX, still shot Kodachrome on it though.

Phil.
No kidding. I'm cutting way back on gear I've accumulated. If I get to the point of actually selling K-mount film bodies The MESuper and K2DMD will go before the KX.

Out: Everything M42; Everything Tamron; Everything else I haven't used since Jan. 1st - even my A50/1.4.

In: The best lenses I HAVE used, plus the original KX and K50/1.4.

The best cure for LBA is to stop buying lenses.
08-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I started in 1974 with a Pentacon Practica LTL + 50 mm + 29 mm +135mm
08-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #49

I started in photography 40 years ago with a very old M42 Pentacon SLR and then 'upgraded' to a used Pentax SV (lovely) 2 years later.
I have been with Pentax ever since having actually owning five Pentax SLRs in 38 years, four of them I still own and they are all working perfectly.
I suppose that shows what a good quality product Pentax make. Friends of mine who have owned Canon and Nikon are amazed at the longlivety of my Pentax equipment, especially as I do not seem to be as careful with it as they are with there cameras and lenses.

08-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vote4Pedro Quote
I just wish I could afford some primes right now... never shot with a prime, but hopefully they're live up to the hype because I plan on getting some in the future. I'm at the beginning and I am just excited for this new hobby.
Good manual primes still go for a song. Some of them, anyway. New autofocus primes are a different story. But on the LENS forum here, and over at mflenses.com, you'll see lots of discussion, bragging, and moaning about manual glass. See the lens review database here for testimonials.
08-14-2010, 02:06 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Started with a Cosina CT-1 Super in 1987 and then to a Chinon CP-7m in 1990 and a Pentax Z-20 in 1992.

Changed to digital P&S in 2000 with the Hewlett-Packard C912 and C618 (Pentax Clones).

Got my first DSLR a K10D in 2008 (2nd hand) and in 2009 bought a K20D. In March this year deceided to get the K7 and I am lovin' it . . .
08-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Pentax K1000 - about 1980 ? Followed by a Super A - still have this one and sort of wish I still had the K1000.....although the K20D is now doing the work

08-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #53
Banned

Photos: Albums
1962 rangefinder: Zorki 4:

08-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I answered "film 35mm SLR" because it was the option closest to the truth. But the truth is that I started in the late 1960s with Rolleiflex cameas—twin-lens reflex cameras.*

Rolleiflex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I used them because this is what the high school camera club had. In college I continued to use them because the college camera club had them, too. I think they were already past their prime at that time. They were fun to shoot with and may have been good to learn on. They made you think about what you were doing very deliberately—a habit that I managed to lose somewhere in the 1980s and 1990s when I started shooting with a 35mm film SLR that some automatic features. Had to relearn the good habits in this decade when I got into digital.

During that 8 years or so, I also learned to do everything else: roll film, develop negatives and make enlagements. Nearly all my darkroom work was with black and white. I only worked with color a few times before I left the darkroom forever when I left college. I found color to be a big pain in the neck at that time. The pro who worked for the college and with whom I worked somewhat closely (because I was editor of the yearbook and he helped us out a lot) had a MACHINE, I guess an early version of the machines they use now to process film at the drugstore. I was amazed and repelled by it at the same time.

I certainly KNEW about Pentax back in the day. I may have shot with a Pentax camera for a while; the college camera club had lots of cameras. But later on, the film cameras I can remember owning included a Ricoh SLR that was stolen, and the Nikon N65 that I still have.

Will

*P.S. I know I'm not the oldest guy here but I fear this admission sounds like saying that I learned to fly in a biplane. Oh, well.

Last edited by WMBP; 08-14-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: misspelling
08-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #55
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
No kidding. I'm cutting way back on gear I've accumulated. If I get to the point of actually selling K-mount film bodies The MESuper and K2DMD will go before the KX.

Out: Everything M42; Everything Tamron; Everything else I haven't used since Jan. 1st - even my A50/1.4.

In: The best lenses I HAVE used, plus the original KX and K50/1.4.

The best cure for LBA is to stop buying lenses.
With all this in and out stuff, you are starting to sound like H. Ross Perot.
08-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Started with a K10 and Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 years ago when a friend needed an 'assistant' for real estate shoots. It quickly became a great hobby/part-time biz.
08-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #57
Pentaxian

My first camera in my pre-teens was a hand-me-down Bell & Howell Electric Eye 127. I was cooking with gas with that baby. It used 127 film as the name suggests.

I still have the camera and some of my pictures I took with it way back when. I think it is time to take a shot of it and post it on my stream for memory sake.

Last edited by tuco; 08-14-2010 at 11:27 AM.
08-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #58
Veteran Member

My first camera was one of those terrible Kodak "disc" cameras. The print quality was so bad that I thought that I must be a terrible photographer! Of course I probably was at that point!

At some point in my teens a somewhat older friend of mine was going out to take some shots for his photo class. He let me shoot off a couple of frames on his Nikon 4004, and then I was hooked. A couple of month later my mom and I were in the local mall, and we stopped in the Ritz Camera. I was poking around at all the different cameras. They didn't have any canons in at the time, and all the Nikons were huge expensive things. There was a rather solid Rich that they had, but the lens that came with it was crap. Then I tried out the last camera in the store - a P3n. it fit nicely in my hand, felt more solid than anything else in the store, had every feature that I wanted, and none that I didn't. Ok, I didn't really care about the meter lock at the time.

Take a guess what was waiting for me under the Christmas tree a few weeks later!
08-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Take a guess what was waiting for me under the Christmas tree a few weeks later!
Another, next-gen, Kodak disc camera?
08-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
With all this in and out stuff, you are starting to sound like H. Ross Perot.
Heh! Reality is I hardly ever use most of the stuff I own. Aside from the K and the Zebra 55/1.8 I can't consider any of it collectible like gofour.

Besides, since I'm also posting on a thread about other expensive hobbies, I have my eye on a Winchester Model 1873 Rifle. I especially like that it shows signs of honest use.