Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

"Tethered" K7 with Eye-fi Pro X2

I wanted to try to get my K7 connected as a I do my K20 and as everyone knows, it can't be done with the K7. People in the forum suggested the Eye-fi expecting mixed results. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

Overall, its not a bad product...once you set it up.

I got the ProX2 so I can send RAWs over and do it ad-hoc (from cam to computer). It took me about 5 days to get everything working because one couldn't communicate with the other, DHCP timeouts, etc. But finally I was able to get it working by making my laptop a hotspot. Connectify does a very good job of this (Warning! Only works in Win7) and I made the card see the ad hoc network pretty easily. Once it sees the card as a client (10-15 secs) it can dl the picture from the camera to my watched folder on the HD in about 7 seconds (10Mp), 10 secs (14mp) and 10-13 secs (14mp RAW DNG) and shows up in Lightroom. Using wireless G it seems the same speed as the USB tether. I want to try with N but I figure I have this working well, soooooo.

Ironically, its compatible with the K7 but not with the K20D. So, technically I replaced one shortcoming with another. Ugh, I'll have to laugh or Ill cry.

08-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How does the K20D fair with tethering?

I'm planning a trip next week and I've been contemplating shooting a series of pano's. And the idea of shooting tethered in the field seems like an appealing idea with respect to tweaking my shots in RT rather than the usual fire and forget approach. I guess ideally, I'd lessen my load and get more angles in before the lighting changes. Would be nice to reduce my shutter count too
08-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its not as fast as other brands cameras but the K20 tethering does work. I'd say 7 secs from shot to Lightroom. The Pentax Remote assistant is crude but it does work. You can actually control all of the camera's functions through the software... ISO, exposure settings, WB, JPG/RAW...all of it.
If youre using Windows Vista you may have to make it "run as admin" by right clicking and choose "properties". I'm using Win 7 and I've noticed that as long as you change the compatibility mode to"Windows XP any version" it does the trick as well. Its an alternative in case running as admin doesn't work. Which happened to me when I upgraded.