Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I prefer K20D images over K100DS. K100 pics are too warm (yellow) and the reds blow out easily. K20D has a deeper more saturated look. The K20D has a CMOS, K100DS has a CCD, and what I prefer is just what I prefer.

08-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
Could it be the matter of the 14mp sensor outresolving the lens?
I'm making the assumption that yeatzee took the images from the same position. That means the K-7 uses more pixels to show the same crop of the leaf. This implies that
  1. in order to show the crop of the leaf at the same output size, yeatzee had to scale the K-7 crop differently than the K200D crop.
  2. the K-7's individual pixels demand more resolution from the lens (so to speak) but in combination the higher number of pixels actually can only improve resolution.
So in a fair comparison, the K-7's higher resolution can only benefit sharpness; there is no way that outresolving a lens can lead to a disadvantage.

Also, when comparing images with a different number of pixels at the same output size, the scaling method becomes critical. Say the K200D crop needs no scaling (100% view). If a bad scaling approach is used to reduce the ~1.2 higher resolution of the K-7 to the same size then the practical resolution advantage of the K-7 can be made look as if it its images were softer. Crude example: Run an LCD screen at any other than its native resolution and watch the image go soft. Basically, any image that has been resized needs output sharpening.

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
Or the recently published SR induced blur of the K-7
Indeed, it would be good to avoid the respective shutter speed range unless a super sturdy tripod is used.

BTW, IIRC, the K10D/K200D sensor had a pretty weak AA filter. This increases apparent sharpness but can lead to moiré patterns. It is better to use more capture sharpening to bring back contrast that was lost due to an adequately dimensioned AA filter then to try and salvage moiré patterns in images that were taken with an AA filter that is too weak. What I'm saying is that the stronger AA filter gives you a benefit and it is more realistic to compare resolution after appropriate amounts of capture sharpening have been applied.

QuoteOriginally posted by betterphotos Quote
Concerned about buying the K7 due to sharpness issue here noted. If the camera doesn't competently utilize the image, then what's the point of the more expensive and sharper lenses?
Not sure I get your question. The K-7 has no sharpness issues. It makes the most out of expensive and sharp lenses. Also there is much more than the sensor to a camera (handling, AF speed, AF accuracy, AWB, etc.).

QuoteOriginally posted by betterphotos Quote
This is some interesting information from Canon on differences in sharpness with regard to the higher pixel cameras.

Interested in your comments, please.
It's all true what they say.
More pixels -> more resolution.
If you look at 100% crops (one sensor pixel maps to one screen pixel) then the higher pixel sensor will look less sharp since it shows a smaller part of the image with higher magnification. That means, if you want to achieve the same pixel-level sharpness in non-still scenarious with a higher-pixel sensor this means that you have to use higher shutter speeds.

What aspect of the article in particular are you interested in?

Last edited by Class A; 08-28-2010 at 01:05 AM.
08-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
So less so in RAW, but the k200d is still producing sharper images :ugh:
As others have already pointed out the JPG comparisons do not really make sense since you then are just looking at what a default setting means for a particular model and what kind of advances/trade-offs were made in the JPG conversion engine for a camera.

I find the RAW images to be very close to each other and find some parts sharper in the K-7 image and others sharper in the K200D. It seems to come done to the precise focus point (seems to be a bit more behind with the K-7 on the last two shots) and the scaling method used.

The non-cropped images show that the position between camera changes has slightly changed and on some crops it looks as if that had led to a difference in lighting. That could have affected the micro contrast.

Its tough to make these comparisons. Even though you put in a lot of work and eliminated some variables, I'm not sure about the influence of the different framing (the leaf isn't exactly in the same position for both cameras) and potentially lighting.
08-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

What aspect of the article in particular are you interested in?
Thanks, you answered well enough.

With regard to the pictures of the leaf. I found that when I turned up the contrast of the picture taken by the K7 it looked as sharp.