Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The tools

I just wanted to say I feel a lot of people are overlooking the fact that the modern camera is just a tool for capturing and image. wether it be FF, APS-c, FF, MF or P&S the device we use is just a tool for preserving a moment in time. the more creative/skilled we are the more impressive the result, sometimes. I think the FF vs APS arguement has reached a point of sheer idiocy. For the last several years I've worked as a cabinetmaker. I don't look at antique furniture as inferior because the maker had inferior tools compared to what I have. I don't look at mass produced furniture as superior because they have superior tools. I look at the end results. the Artist or craftsman who brought thi object to life is what is important, not the tools they used to achieve the end result. So for those demanding FF, fine, go buy yourself one, they are available, they are some fantastic tools, knock yourself out. Or complain you can't have them and stomp your feet in frustration because your current tools are inadequate. Or continue using the tools you have and learn how to work through/ around your current tools limitations by bettering yourself, and your technique.
So for me, I will use the tools I have, buy the ones I can, lust for the ones I want, and continue on my merry way.

Shu
Mods if you feel this must be moved to general talk, so be it.

08-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by shuie Quote
I just wanted to say I feel a lot of people are overlooking the fact that the modern camera is just a tool for capturing and image. wether it be FF, APS-c, FF, MF or P&S the device we use is just a tool for preserving a moment in time. the more creative/skilled we are the more impressive the result, sometimes. I think the FF vs APS arguement has reached a point of sheer idiocy. For the last several years I've worked as a cabinetmaker. I don't look at antique furniture as inferior because the maker had inferior tools compared to what I have. I don't look at mass produced furniture as superior because they have superior tools. I look at the end results. the Artist or craftsman who brought thi object to life is what is important, not the tools they used to achieve the end result. So for those demanding FF, fine, go buy yourself one, they are available, they are some fantastic tools, knock yourself out. Or complain you can't have them and stomp your feet in frustration because your current tools are inadequate. Or continue using the tools you have and learn how to work through/ around your current tools limitations by bettering yourself, and your technique.
So for me, I will use the tools I have, buy the ones I can, lust for the ones I want, and continue on my merry way.

Shu
Mods if you feel this must be moved to general talk, so be it.
It's a poor craftsman who blames the tools. A good photographer can make a great photo with a cereal box and a roll of masking tape (plus film or photo paper of course).

08-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
my point indeed!
shu
08-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not wishing for nor looking forward to a fantasy-frame Pentax body, but some people who do would like them for the things it can do better than APC. Less depth of focus, less noise, and "wider wide".

08-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It's a poor craftsman who blames the tools.
Spoken like someone who has never shopped at Harbor Freight.
08-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
Been there.
08-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Been there.
QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote

Nope. Can't say that I have.

08-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Buy only Craftsman tools at Sears.

But I digress.

With film, if you want different image characteristics -- resolution, character, speed, spectral sensitivity, etc -- you buy a different roll/sheet of film and insert it in the camera. I have 135 cams from the 1930s and 120 cams from the 1900's that still work just fine. With digital, if you want different image characteristics, you must buy a different camera. I have a 1mpx digicam from 2001 that still works fine, but doesn't see that much use, because digital tech evolves at a Moore's Law rate.

Yes, a camera is a tool, or rather a toolbox upon which other tools (lenses) are hung. Yeah, I have lenses from the 1900's I can hang on modern cameras. But the toolboxes evolve quickly. I can't think of a good analogy right now (still recovering from dental anaesthetic) but I'll suggest... guitars. One can build or buy a basic acoustic or electric guitar for not much money, or something fancy or classic for much much money. But around 1965, effects stompboxes hit the scene, and around 1970, builders started adding active electronics to guitars. Since then we've had a massive proliferation of electronic processors etc. Ya, I can still sit back and pick on Grandpa's 1890 banjo-mandolin, or plug my 3-string fretless cigar-box guitar (US$75) into a cigaret-box amp (US$30), same as I can throw a roll of film into a Brownie and shoot. But I'd have more flexibility (and probably a larger audience) if I used the more sophisticated gear now available. The evolution of tools shapes our expectations, and desires, and obsessions.

Ya, I'd sure like to have a Pentax FF dSLR. But I bought the K20D because I thought / hoped it would satisfy my needs for a few years -- no 'upgrading'. Sure, I'd like to have something fancier with integrated electronics, but my acoustic Ovation 12-string still delivers, and I can clip on a pickup as needed. Life goes on.

08-13-2010, 02:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It's a poor craftsman who blames the tools. A good photographer can make a great photo with a cereal box and a roll of masking tape (plus film or photo paper of course).

I wish people would stop trotting out this old warhorse. It was barely true before the invention of the power drill, and it is barely true today.
08-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I wish people would stop trotting out this old warhorse. It was barely true before the invention of the power drill, and it is barely true today.
What ever you say..

08-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ever try to remove a screw with the wrong size phillip's head screwdriver?

The right tool for the right job.

Steve

(Stays away from Harbor Freight...)
08-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #12

Original Poster
Having the tool is one thing, knowing how to use it well is another. I have seen many shots by many members of this forum who have lesser gear than I, that are so much better than I could ever hope to achieve it is almost disheartening. I have to remind myself, photography is an art form, the camera and equipment are the tools used to practice this art.( and I'm not much of an artist, but I'll keep trying)

Shu
08-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

What ever you say..

People who say the tool doesn't matter have never tried using the wrong tool for a particular job.
08-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If your power drill doesn't work, don't whine about it -- fix it or replace it.
If you selected the wrong tool for a job, don't bitch -- get the right tool.
If your employer provides the wrong tool, leave -- find another employer.
If you are stuck with bad tools and no other options, grin and bear it.
It IS the poor worker who blames THEIR tools for THEIR shortcomings.

[/me loads another 135 cart into the Brownie Twin]