Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax K7 1.11 Firmware suggestions

Ok, I've never seen where we can put some suggestions in a format so that Pentax can look it over and say yay or nay for enhancements to a firmware.

So, here are two suggestions for the K7 1.11 firmware

1)When in Video mode, can the IR indicator flash on the front of the camera when using a cable remote? The IR indicator on the front of the K7 flashes when using a IR remote in video mode, then stops when actively recording.

Conversly...

2) The cable remote, in movie mode has the ability to focus as it mimics a halfway shutter release. The IR remote doesn't focus in movie mode.

So, if we take my two suggestions, can we get a consistent behavior for the IR remote and the Cable remote so that if we are taking a movie infront of the camera, we can see when the camera is recording or not.

08-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well speaking of drive modes

Self timer when shooting HDR please! The first time I found out it didn't support self timers it ruined my shots because I had left my remote home

as for other minor improvements, I'd improve the response of a half press of shutter button bringing you back to the shooting screen, a lot of times I have to press it multiple times to get back to the shooting screen, not what I want when I'm shooting.

Also an electronic level on the status screen would be nice, there's space for one above the focus point grid, and lastly a warning beep when you power the camera on without an SD card

And then of course I'm always wishing for better video, but I think the K7 has reached it's video threshold and that will be saved for future models
08-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Ability to light top LCD with push of a button.

Why this functionality was taken away I'm not sure.
08-13-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some extra controls on how the camera makes it's choices when you work in P-mode or some of the others (but not M-mode). When you work in TAv-mode the camera can choose an iso-setting according to your setting of under-/overexposing and from the choice you gave it in the menu

So from 4
iso400 to iso800 if you would like.

It would be great if we had the same choices to make for the shuttertime and apperture. For sports it's handy to make a choice between 1/800-1/1250 for instant depending on the availeble light and the choices for iso and apperture. These settings combined with the choices for fast or dept of field and steep choice for high iso-settings gives you an easy te handle camera when light's a very different.

For me that would be a great new future.

08-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess is, with new models on the horizon and a recent firmware update, the likelihood of another update is not too great.

But, as is often the case, I could be wrong.
08-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd also suspect the K-7 updates are over. But who knows.
08-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
My guess is, with new models on the horizon and a recent firmware update, the likelihood of another update is not too great.
Quite agree. Think the last one was about as good as it gets.
New models round the corner which means no more K-7 updates unless its for something pretty serious.
08-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
I think so,too

08-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

This should have been part of the last update.

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
I think so,too
I see. That means tethered shooting was planned as an upgrade incentive from day one!

So its a sure thing that the new top model will support tethered shooting with Lightroom?

And of course the very cool DSLR Camera Remote which allows you to control your camera and look through your camera viewfinder remotely with an iPhone.

Seriously, every time I read advertising / tutorials stating "works with your Nikon and Canon camera" I think that the idea that these two brands are the only reasonable choice for a buyer is perpetuated.
08-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #10

Why this functionality was taken away I'm not sure.
The DELETE button could be used, as it has no function in REC mode (on the K-x is used to raise the flash, on the K-7 it could be used to turn on THE LIGHT).
Solution: custom function for the light should have 3 options --> 1. on; 2. off; 3. on when pressing del
It's not that hard, you software peoples at Pentax!

Second, I want the behavior of the INFO Screen to be as on the K-x; look it up in the K-x manual, the implementation is more logical, on the K-7 is just nagging...
The INFO Screen should be used for checking (using the INFO button), not monitoring. That's redundant because the K-7 has the TOP LCD with has almost the same info as the info screen. REDUNDANCY, not always good.

There is also a small bug related to the INFO Screen and Multiple Exposure, when activating this mode if turn off the info screen the multiple exposure function gets canceled; or if you have the info screen off (2 presses of the INFO button) when activating multiple exposure the info screen comes on automatically. There is no need for this behavior as the K-7 has a dedicated indicator for Multiple Exposure in the TOP LCD. Again redundancy and bad implementation.
08-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Don't be too sure. They released an update for the k200d a few months ago. You never know.
08-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recognition of lenses below 10mm, such as the Sigma 8-16mm, and the Sigma 4.5mm. It would also be nice if they applied shake reduction as it should be on such wide lenses.
08-15-2010, 05:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Don't be too sure. They released an update for the k200d a few months ago. You never know.
Did the update add functionality or fix bugs?
08-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote

But, as is often the case, I could be wrong.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Quite agree. Think the last one was about as good as it gets.
New models round the corner which means no more K-7 updates unless its for something pretty serious.
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
I think so,too

My guess is that all four of you would have espoused the exact same opinion on June 27th, the day before Pentax released firmware v1.10 with new features. Of course, had you done so, you'd have been wrong.

The K-7 didn't magically pass some threshold in the last 18 days that made it ineligible for future updates, and Pentax's past history would suggest that they continue to support their cameras long after they've been discontinued.

Just last April, they released updated firmware for the K10D -- a model that was announced in September 2006, and shipped that November -- with improved support for a generation of SD cards that didn't even exist at the time the camera was on sale.

If Pentax is still releasing firmware for the K-7 when it's the same age as the K10D was when its last update came out, then we can expect a nice surprise right around Christmas 2012. ;-)

Truth be told, only Pentax knows whether they have plans to release updates for the K-7 in the future, and even they conceivably may not have made that decision so far. Certainly, none of us know.
08-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
My guess is that all four of you would have espoused the exact same opinion on June 27th, the day before Pentax released firmware v1.10 with new features.
And, in my case, you would have been wrong.

Don't try to read my mind, you can't.