Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Very odd problem

Hi All
New to the forum so please bear with me as this is a bit long winded.

I was out last night trying to do some night shoots of the meteor shower and some star shots. After searching the net for best settings I finally plumpted for 'Bulb' mode with the cable release, ISO 100 and focus to infinity (right or wrong).
I did a couple of trial shoots and only one came out of the Plough with slight rotational effect of moving as I only had the shutter open for 5 mins or so.

But then starnge things started to happen. As I started you could hear the shutter open, fine, so I left it for a good ten minutes or so and returned, released the shutter, waited for a few seconds then nothing!

At first I thought the battery had gone because the camera (K10) went dead.

I took the camera inside, put another fully charged battery in and it sprung to life. I swapped the battery for the suspect one and that too showed full charge and was ok, as the camera worked fine. Went back in the field, started again from scratch and the same thing happened again. I opened the battery compartment, put the battery in and out and then it worked.
I've done very successful lightening shots in the past no problem and have used it for over an hour in daylight today and the batteries are fine.

I've probably taken around 1000 pics since I had this from new and it's a brilliant camera but this problem has me baffled !!

HELP! Please and thanks for your time in reading this.

Regards
Andy

08-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Andy,

Are you sure the camera still wasn't processing the photo and writing it to the card when you shut it off? Note that if you have noise reduction enabled, it could take several seconds for your photo to be processed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
Banned

I suspect, what adam has mentioned to be the likely culprit. did you check to make sure the amber ‘working’ light wasn’t on?
08-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Another vote for this being processing time

it takes a few seconds for my K7 to process a 30 second exposure so I can't image how long it would take the K10d to process a multi minute exposure. You never removed the SD card did you?

08-13-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Doesn't DFS take just as long to process as the shutter time that was used for the shot?

Jason
08-13-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi All
Thanks for your replies. If I go back to the last time I did lightening photos, when I released the shutter, yes, I did see the info being read to the card via the amber light, which lastest a few seconds and was able to start all over again. At that time I had the shutter open for 10 minutes and longer for the whole 3 hours I was out. But this time nothing.

The shutter released and closed but everything went off. No lights no screen. Even turning the camera on and off did nothing. Only came back on when I took the battery in and out. I've checked the terminals etc and all is fine.

Andy
08-13-2010, 01:53 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ps.. sorry but forgot to mention this in last post. I've got a picture of one lightening strike I took a couple of years ago with the K10 and it info so how do I post it please?

Thanks Andy

08-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by andy007 Quote
ps.. sorry but forgot to mention this in last post. I've got a picture of one lightening strike I took a couple of years ago with the K10 and it info so how do I post it please?

Thanks Andy
Turn off the long exposure noise reduction in the Custom menu. The K10d is the last camera with that option. If your exposure was 5 minutes it will take just as long for the camera to process and write the file. Also, the option that dictates how long to auto shutoff with inactivity. set it to Never. Just remember to turn off the camera when you are finished using it.

As for posting photos..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6-how-posting-uploading-...de-images.html

08-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Turn off the long exposure noise reduction in the Custom menu. The K10d is the last camera with that option.
Actually, the K200D has it too, and presumably the K2000/K-m as well. But true, most recent cameras lack it. Between the DFS performed by this option (which alsts as long as the exposure itself) and the ordinary image processing time itself, I suspect that explains what the OP is seeing.
08-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi again

You learn something new every day. I looked everywhere I could think for a manufacturer solution and couldnt find one.

Should have come to you first.

You have my thanks

Regards
Andy
08-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
Forum Member

Processing can take a lot of time

I also love to take long exposure night shots. My K7 might require 15 minutes or so to process a 30 minute night shot, depending on settings. If taking star trails you can do intervals and then stack them, or so I read about (I haven't done that). Also, note that you will see more curvature in the trails the more the camera is pointed toward North (in Northern Hemisphere). If you make sure your battery is fully charged before you go out, then just accept the processing time as part of the enjoyment in being outside at night.
08-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by zerodaze Quote
I also love to take long exposure night shots. My K7 might require 15 minutes or so to process a 30 minute night shot, depending on settings. If taking star trails you can do intervals and then stack them, or so I read about (I haven't done that). Also, note that you will see more curvature in the trails the more the camera is pointed toward North (in Northern Hemisphere). If you make sure your battery is fully charged before you go out, then just accept the processing time as part of the enjoyment in being outside at night.
You can but you will end up with segmented trails. The duration of the blank spots will be the time of processing between exposures. There is probably software to help around this, but I've only played with multiple exposures on a limited bases.

08-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi All

I am astounded by the wealth of knowledge this site generates. So often you buy a camera and are left to the mercy of the instruction book and luck.

Thankfully there are extremely generous people as on your site who are willing to give their time and experience to the novice like myself.

To all those members who have helped me I thank you. Maybe one day I can return the favour.

May I also add that if there are those who wanted to say, have a monthly meet in the Devon area and exchange experiences I would be more than happy to sort a venue for all those interested.

Kind regards

Andy
08-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andy007 Quote
Hi All

I am astounded by the wealth of knowledge this site generates. So often you buy a camera and are left to the mercy of the instruction book and luck.

Thankfully there are extremely generous people as on your site who are willing to give their time and experience to the novice like myself.

To all those members who have helped me I thank you. Maybe one day I can return the favour.

May I also add that if there are those who wanted to say, have a monthly meet in the Devon area and exchange experiences I would be more than happy to sort a venue for all those interested.

Kind regards

Andy
I could not agree more about this site. Guys thanks for the info.