Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 and the AF-C mode - can someone provide sample shots?

Good afternoon to all.

After searching through this forum for answers, opinions and perhaps sample shots of photos taken with the K7 in AF-C mode, the best I could find was this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/91394-anecdotal-eviden...o-focus-2.html

Johnlee gives a rather good account on the AF-C performance of the K7 vs. other brand(s) but what I would really like to see are sample shots.
Specifically, of moving subjects toward the camera/photographer, such as flying birds, moving cars, people running, etc.

Personally, I have tried this mode quite a few times, as far back as the K10, then with the K20D and recently with the K7 but pretty much all of my shots taken that way have been, to say the least, "not-for-show".
Behind the camera is the photographer, of course, which is certainly part of the negative equation, but for crying out loud .... is there anyone here able to shoot with this mode and get decent results?
If so, how do you achieve good results?

Hoping to get some feedback before I decide to nerver again try the AF-C.

Cheers.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 08-13-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling
08-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
but for crying out loud .... is there anyone here able to shoot with this mode and get decent results?

That rules me out then.

Oh, unless you count the time I borrowed a 7D for a couple of days.
08-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Stranges thing is that I also had to look, because the search engine didn't bring it up. I posted these pictures some time ago. It's the complete series, so no pics left out. There are some missing pictures, but partially alsoo due to my setting the cam to centre point.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/107860-auto-focus-c-k-7-a.html
08-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Stranges thing is that I also had to look, because the search engine didn't bring it up. I posted these pictures some time ago. It's the complete series, so no pics left out. There are some missing pictures, but partially alsoo due to my setting the cam to centre point.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/107860-auto-focus-c-k-7-a.html
Many thanks to you, Ron.

I see a few things here that make me think that perhaps I don't quite have the right lens for achieving results like yours.

For one thing, I use the DA*300 especially for birding. Such lens being a bit on the heavier side, compared to your 50-135.

Your shots were taken at F13 ... something I doubt very much being able to achieve for BIF and using a 300mm lens.
Most of my shots end up being taken at wider apertures ... f4, 4.5, 5.0 and 5.6; very seldom do I have enough light/shutter speed for BIF (birds in flight) unless I really crank up the ISO and, more often than not, that is not even good enough.
The AF, either AF-S or AF-C doesn't seem to like wide apertures either. It would be nice to have the perfect combination of 1/1250s or faster, along with at least F8.

Also, you mention that those are all of the shots you have taken. In that case, congrats!
Using AF-C myself, with the above described combo: K7 and DA*300, out of let's say 20 shots, more than half of them will be out of focus. There is no "AF locking" on the K7, nor on the K20D. Maybe I am not using the right wording, but what I mean is that there is no "predictive focus" like you would have with Nikon cam's.

Well, thanks again and by the way: your pics are excellent.

Cheers.

JP

08-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
That rules me out then.

Oh, unless you count the time I borrowed a 7D for a couple of days.
I suppose this would work, also with a Nikon D300?
I can't afford two systems, really ...

JP
08-14-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes

Nile River Soccer Match - a set on Flickr

All photos shot 6mp JPEG with AF-C, 50-135mm SDM lens.

I didn't end up deleting a single shot.
08-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Yes

Lets face it though .. I doubt he was moving that fast.

Although, to be honest I can't really talk.
08-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Lets face it though .. I doubt he was moving that fast.

Although, to be honest I can't really talk.
Oh don't be too surprised, he was quite a machine. Hahha

08-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Yes

Nice shots Christopher.

I should have added, in the initial post, that I was using the DA*300/4 for most of my shots.
I am really looking forward to see some pics in AF-C taken with the K7 and this lens.
However, I can really see that other lenses used in the previous two sample groups provided proof that the AF-C is capable of producing quality shots.

Thanks for the reply.

JP