Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
SDM failure in body without default to screwdrive?

Has there ever been a case of SDM failing in the body of the camera but *not* defaulting to the screw drive? I recently picked up a 16-50 that appears to be DOA, but since it's my first SDM lens, I have no way of knowing for sure it is the lens that is faulty ...

08-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It will be the lens I would imagine, but for some reason when SDM fails the AF never goes to screw drive, so you have no AF...
08-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
Has there ever been a case of SDM failing in the body of the camera but *not* defaulting to the screw drive? I recently picked up a 16-50 that appears to be DOA, but since it's my first SDM lens, I have no way of knowing for sure it is the lens that is faulty ...
Let's ask the obvious question first. Did you make sure the AF/MF switch on the LENS in on AF? Exercise the focus ring a little bit while pushing the AF button, that may free things up. Make sure the SDM contacts are clean on the lens (the two closest to the glass).

The general answer to your question is No. The only time, Here, that I've read of a Camera SDM failure, the screw drive did take over (and the owner was quite happy about that).

08-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

My 50-135 occasionally is slow to focus after sitting in the case. This has been the case since it was new out of the box. I have often wondered what would happen if it doesn't recover. I would hope I could rely on the screw drive, but I don't know.

08-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Inactive Account

What camera are you using, and is the firmware updated to use this SMD motor?
08-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
My 50-135 occasionally is slow to focus after sitting in the case. This has been the case since it was new out of the box. I have often wondered what would happen if it doesn't recover. I would hope I could rely on the screw drive, but I don't know.
QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
What camera are you using, and is the firmware updated to use this SMD motor?
The K10d and I believe the K100d were shipped with the ability to Use SDM but it was initially turned off. FW v1.30 turns on SDM on the K10d. Cameras after that generation were shipped with SDM turned on and no way to turn it off. From there, if SDM goes dead (on the lens) you then have a manual focus lens. With the K10d, if you can hack your way back to v1.20, you can turn the camera SDM drive off in effect. The camera will then use the screw drive for focus on all lenses (that have screw drive).

Pentax could go a long way for themselves if they released firmware updates that would allow the user to choose the focus type, SDM or Screw Drive, on lenses that support both. The DA*55 and the DA 17-70 are both SDM only. A lot of people Claim they would by DA* lenses if it weren't for SDM problems and lack of an easy fix (firmware). I cannot actually speak for them but I figure it's more likely the cost that puts them off than SDM worries. Once in awhile my 16-50 will stagger but it always pops back to life. I suppose one day, it won't and I'll worry about it then.

08-14-2010, 04:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

K100D does not support SDM. That capability was added, I think, the K100D Super.
08-14-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
When SDM fails, screw drive never takes over. This is one of the big problems with the system. Many people ask/call for a firmware fix but Pentax is "unaware of any SDM problems" :ugh:

When you put a SDM lens with the 2 systems on a body not capable of SDM, screw drive is automatically used.
anything pre K10D (with firmware 1.3) or K100DS.

08-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
K100D does not support SDM. That capability was added, I think, the K100D Super.
Ok, I knew it was K100 something. Thanks for the correction.