Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K100D: Hesitations on squeezing trigger.

Hey all,

I still haven't committed to buying into Pentax. I thought I had but there are a few concerns I have.

1. I guess I can deal with the metering issues. Not too big a deal.

2. AF performance. This is more of an issue for me. Can any of you allay my fears of the K100D being slow or inaccurate in its autofocus.

If I can get past these two I will happily proceed with my plan to buy the K100D, 16-45 f/4 and the 31 f/1.8(perhaps I should just get the 16-50 f/2.8 and forgo the others).
Otherwise I am staying with Nikon and getting a D40X and a used 17-55 f/2.8

I really am committed to available light people photography.

What do you think?

08-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know anything about the K100D, but I don't know if the Nikon has any glass as good as the 50mm f/1.4 or 1/7 for available light...not to mention the 43mm and 77mm limiteds...glass wise I don't think you can beat Pentax.
08-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #3

1) What metering issues are you talking about?

2) I have a K100D and my sister-in-law has a D40. They focus at the same speed as far as I can tell. I also think they're very comparable in low-light situations.

I just picked up manual 50mm f2 and 135mm f2.8 lenses off of eBay for $20 each shipped. I'm not sure if that's doable in the Nikon camp. Might I add that I get shake reduction with both lenses? I also saved well over $250 by buying the K100D instead of the D40x.
08-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wasn't aware the K100D has any particular metering issues. In 10k+ shots with mine I haven't noticed anything. Perhaps you are thinking of the K10D?

I don't use auto-focus, can't help you out there.

I'll pile on with mopar man and point out that if available light is your thing, then you're going to find in-body shake reduction a very, very handy feature to have.

08-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, I guess I was thinking of what I had read of the K10D re: metering. Some folks said that they thought the K100D was slow with AF.

Thanks for the reassurance. You are right. Nikon doesn't really do primes the way Pentax does.

Sounds good. Any thoughts about my lens choices?

Option 1. 16-50 f/2.8

Option 2. 16-45 f/4 and 31 f/1.8
08-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Option 2. You'll never regret buying the 31mm. That's the kind of lens and image quality Pentax is all about.
08-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #7

While while option 2 zoom is slower, I've read that it's a better lens. The limited reviews I've found on the new 16-50 aren't so good. I'm assuming you're after the wide end on that? I've seen a lot of good results from the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.
08-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mopar_man Quote
While while option 2 zoom is slower, I've read that it's a better lens. The limited reviews I've found on the new 16-50 aren't so good. I'm assuming you're after the wide end on that? I've seen a lot of good results from the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.
28mm isn't very wide with a 1.5 crop. (Remember, a mm or two makes huge FOV difference at the wide end.)

The reviews on the 16-50mm are actually overall positive -- they're just sort of negative since Pentax built up a lot of hype with the "*" label and by saying in their press releases that these will be the best lenses in all ways since the invention of glass. Turns out, they're mortal -- but that doesn't mean that they're bad.

08-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, I am interested in the 16-45 for the wide end. A 'walkaround' lens. I live a pretty beautiful area so would serve well for landscapes too.

Perhaps a Sigma 10-20 someday... After I get a pancake or two...
08-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #10

Get the K100D

QuoteOriginally posted by Viridian Quote
Hey all,

I still haven't committed to buying into Pentax. I thought I had but there are a few concerns I have.

1. I guess I can deal with the metering issues. Not too big a deal.

The K100D meters just fine. You do need to know which mode to use for a given situation, but that is the same for all DSLR's.

2. AF performance. This is more of an issue for me. Can any of you allay my fears of the K100D being slow or inaccurate in its autofocus.

AF performance is fine. It does hunt a little at low light levels, but so do most other cameras. The focus is accurate, the jpg images superior at default settings than the other brands, and the high iso/low light noise is better than most (the ist D and Canon's are slightly better).

If I can get past these two I will happily proceed with my plan to buy the K100D, 16-45 f/4 and the 31 f/1.8(perhaps I should just get the 16-50 f/2.8 and forgo the others).

Suggestion: Get the 17-70 Sigma rather than the 16-45. You will like it a lot better, and for close ups, it can substitute for a macro under most conditions. Adding the 50-200DA or one of the 70-210 lenses will pretty much give you enough range to handle virtually all common photo opportunities.

Otherwise I am staying with Nikon and getting a D40X and a used 17-55 f/2.8

The D40x is a nice camera, but you don't get the wider selection of lenses (legacy K mount) and for a serious photographer, especially one used to manual modes, you loose the excellent top mounted info display (this is available on the higher end models from Nikon). Besides, the K100D can be bought for under $400 new, so that gives one more money to spend on lenses! Also, 2 sets of NiMH AA's is a lot less than an extra Nikon battery!

I really am committed to available light people photography.

What do you think?

Wayne

PS for vacations, a set of CRV3 batteries (I bought some on a buy one get one free from Walgreens for less than $9 a set of two) will last most people for at least 2000 images.
08-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #11

The D40/D40x is an absolutely fantastic camera.

And in my opinion, based on my anecdotal tests (I own the K10D) of the K100D, I think the D40x is faster....especially when taking multiple quick shots.

This is NOT scientific so just a possible observation from one person.

Please also note that the D40x can only use a limited amount of Nikon lenses, since it has no motor in the body.

BUT, I would say, since I have the 16-45, that it is an absolutely beautiful lens. Can't say much about any of the new f2.8 offerings, since so few of us were able to scrape them up.

Long story short, I think that while the D40/D40x is a great camera, no doubt about it.....you will be happier in the long run with the lens and photo quality of the K100D (SUPER)
08-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax07 Quote
The D40/D40x is an absolutely fantastic camera.

And in my opinion, based on my anecdotal tests (I own the K10D) of the K100D, I think the D40x is faster....especially when taking multiple quick shots.

This is NOT scientific so just a possible observation from one person.

Please also note that the D40x can only use a limited amount of Nikon lenses, since it has no motor in the body.

BUT, I would say, since I have the 16-45, that it is an absolutely beautiful lens. Can't say much about any of the new f2.8 offerings, since so few of us were able to scrape them up.

Long story short, I think that while the D40/D40x is a great camera, no doubt about it.....you will be happier in the long run with the lens and photo quality of the K100D (SUPER)
Yeah, I handled the D40X and the K10D together the nikon had the 18-135 and the Pentax the 10-17. Believe it or not the finder was brighter on the D40X. I didn't expect that. And the shutter is sooo quiet and vibration free. I'm ordering Pentax tomorrow unless something else comes up. Like a used K100D or K10D at a great price.
08-25-2007, 01:28 AM   #13

As for AF speed - while many here claim that it is not slow, I'll clarify from my experience that "not slow" doesn't quite equal "fast". Calling K100D AF fast would be stretching the meaning of the word. Make no mistake - it is perfectly good for most situations but don't expect to point, hear quick whirr followed by focus beep. You're most likely to point, hear the lens whirring back and forth few times, then beep.

Sure enough you can shoot people in available light with it, no problem. I do that all the time. Just don't expect instant focus lock all the time.
08-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #14

The two (2) biggest kickers with the D40x are:
- Lack of in-camera image stablization
- Lack of in-camera motor, removing a lot of lens compatibility

The Nikon D40x has a lot of capability, don't get me wrong.
But when you're a "budget" dSLR buyer, I don't see anything but the Pentax K100D.

The AF is definitely fine with the 16-45 f/4 and 31 f/1.8.
I don't find it remotely slow to AF at all, as long as you use solid batteries:
BS' Blog: Rechargeable Li-Ion is not Non-Rechargeable Lithium (e.g., Li-Mn, Li-Fe)

The only time I've seen "focus hunting" with with a slow lens in low-light.
E.g., The 50-200 f/4-5.6 at the long end.