Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #1

New K-x Problems...

So I just purchased my first DSLR, a Pentax K-x(black).

So far I'm very disappointed with the camera, and hope it's just something I'm not doing properly.

The problem I'm having is the auto-focus and picture taking. It's annoying! I cannot take pictures when I need it too. I find myself pressing the button several times and it will not take a picture. I held the button down to try and auto-focus before pressing the button to take the shot, but it's sooo inconsistent.

I keep missing good shots because my camera won't take. What gives?

Do you guys have problems with the auto-focus not focusing properly? I try holding it down and releasing when it's focused, but I tend to miss it and I keep getting out of focus pictures.

I don't think the camera is malfunctioning. I think it was either designed that way or I'm not doing something right.

Any help with this?

08-13-2010, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

There are really 2 presses to the shutter button. The first is a very light press, you don't really feel a change, it basically touching the button lightly. This stage engages the metering and focus, you can tell you are using the first stage of the button press because the camera will come to life (if it was in standby) and start focusing and metering on the rear screen and in the viewfinder. The 2nd stage of the shutter button is a relatively firm press, you'll know the photo is being taken obviously since the shutter will engage.

A quick question: When you are doing the half/first light press, is the camera focusing? If so, do you get a beep, or does the green hex in the viewfinder start to flash? What conditions are you trying to shoot in - outdoors, low light, something else?

There are a couple of menu options you may have changed that could be part of your problem (you'll have to go into the menu and read the manual to find them). One is to allow shutter release whether the camera finds focus or not (this use is a personal preference that you'll have to learn). If the lens is attempting to focus, but then the green hex starts to blink that means it can't find a focus point, and the shutter won't fire if you have this setting turned on (it should be on until you learn when you want to turn it off, as this will prevent you from taking out of focus photos).

The second is called 'catch in focus' - this might by the one you have enabled - it means the camera will only fire when it achieves focus, and this should be turned off until you learn to use it (and know you want it set on!).
08-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you bothered to read the manual at all?

Or do you want people here to explain the difference between single and continuous shooting modes? Let alone auto focus confirmation problems, because the camera won't pull the trigger in auto mode unless it's in focus?

You have a DSLR. It requires some learning to use it properly.

So it's not a K-x problem. It's a user problem.

Sorry if I'm coming across a little rough here, but come on. You have to put a little effort into learning the camera before you can COMPLAIN about the camera.
08-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Have you bothered to read the manual at all?

Or do you want people here to explain the difference between single and continuous shooting modes? Let alone auto focus confirmation problems, because the camera won't pull the trigger in auto mode unless it's in focus?

You have a DSLR. It requires some learning to use it properly.

So it's not a K-x problem. It's a user problem.

Sorry if I'm coming across a little rough here, but come on. You have to put a little effort into learning the camera before you can COMPLAIN about the camera.
That's why I'm posting here, in an attempt to learn the camera. I have a very busy schedule. I have 3 days to return the camera if defected. I had it 2 days unopened because I have not had time to use it. I have not had time to read the manual just yet, but plan to.

I suggested that it was probably me and not camera. I even said I don't think the camera's malfunctioning. So give me a break ok?

[hr]

Thanks for your help pxpaulx.

08-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well I'm using light press and hard press. I'm using auto settinsg mode, outdoors on a semi-sunny day.

The camera is weird, it will not take pictures in focus, but will as soon as it goes out of focus.

I'm spending 2-3 minutes just trying to get the picture to take. It doesn't seem to find a focus point. Every once a awhile I get the green box, but it still doesn't take a picture.

EDIT: I can take pictures fine when I manual focus, but struggle with auto focus.

Last edited by Xarcell; 08-13-2010 at 04:16 PM.
08-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What happens when you put it into manual focus. Can you aim, focus and depress the shutter getting a good picture?
08-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

try to set the focus mode to auto - that is to let the camera choose whatever it can get a focus lock on... this will be the easiest as it is similar to a P&S, you will get a picture but it may not be what you had in mind (focus subject). Once you get to know a little more, than you can choose center point focus to get your picture. Again, with auto-focus lens, the shutter would not release until there is a focus confirmation.

Enjoy the camera.

08-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
You haven't set it to self timer mode, have you? I hate it when I do that and forget to set it back. When the camera is on at the default screen, press the upper button (with the little timer icon) of the buttons circled around the "ok" button.
It should say "Drive Mode / Single Frame Shooting". If it doesn't, change it to that setting.
08-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I know can be frustrating. One thing that I would suggest and pxpaulx alluded to this, reset the camera back to the factory settings. You never know what you may have turned on or off. I think the reset is the third screen in the setup menu.
08-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Xarcell Quote
Every once a awhile I get the green box
Sounds like you're using live view, don't, auto focus is slow and inconsistent and takes forever, thus no shutter release in any photo mode except M.
08-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
hmm try putting it into manual focus
see if it fires.
08-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OmegaKulu Quote
Sounds like you're using live view, don't, auto focus is slow and inconsistent and takes forever, thus no shutter release in any photo mode except M.

That's my guess.
08-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sorry, but I have to agree with Ira there and that is RTFM.

Just a quick fix for your problem though:
1. set the dial on AUTO PICT
2. press INFO once
3. press OK once
4. choose center focus (the fourth option from left)
5. press OK
6. press INFO to come back to standby mode
7. you should not have Live View activated (button LV) - that is you should see no image on the LCD, only info about settings
7. Check that the focus switch on the side of the lens is on AF.

OK, now look through the viewfinder and aim the center point to a contrast line in your frame half press the shutter and you should hear a beep and the hexagonal confirmation light will appear. Only THEN press till the end. This will take maybe 0.5 sec (or less) Do not press the shutter in a continuous move because you'll probably get blurry pics. Try to keep your hand steady.
08-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I'm going to go a slightly different way. Set your camera to use Center Point AF only. That way what you are focusing on in the middle of the screen, or rather what you Think you are focusing on, is in fact your focal point. I don't know how the Kx is shipped but regardless, there is no Visible point confirmation in the viewfinder. Therefore, you may Not be focusing on what you Think you are. The AF system on Pentax's latest cameras is actually pretty good. Not the best perhaps, but good nonetheless.

With respect to the Live View, I agree with the others. Even on the K7 it's fun to play with (sometimes), but it is Painfully slow. For some reason (on the K7 anyway) the focus system insists on going from one extreme to the other, regardless of lens, before locking on focus. If you're going to use LV, you are best off going manual focus.

If that fails, return the camera. No point in being miserable with it.

Edit: Sorry kytra, didn't read your post before making mine. Romanians must think somewhat alike
08-14-2010, 02:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Is this problem consistent anywhere you shoot (outside, good light, etc?) or just indoors under low light conditions?

Is this your first DSLR? Just come from Point and Shoot?

Jason