Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Seriously, RTFM. If you are too busy to learn how to use it then you are too busy to own it.

08-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Seriously, RTFM. If you are too busy to learn how to use it then you are too busy to own it.
agreed with this, you must be able to afford the time to learn it.
08-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Xlusionist Quote
agreed with this, you must be able to afford the time to learn it.
Really...

RTFM > Read The F'ing Manual

Pretty damn rude if you ask me. If you have the time to post such dribble, you have the time to properly answer the questions, or not respond. Then you have the nerve to tell someone "you are too busy to own it" and "you must be able to afford the time to learn it".

You're Joking, Right?

The person is looking for a quick answer because the window of opportunity to return the camera is short. If you cannot give a constructive answer, why bother posting at all (RTFM is not a constructive answer)?

08-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The k-x has 2 AF modes, AF-S (single) which will AF once and is meant to be used on a single target and AF-C (continuous) which means it will try to continually refocus if it thinks the subject is a moving target.

I found AF-C to be less than useful in most situations and harmful in some because it will never get a lock and take the picture in some situations. Therefore I only use AF-S.

It also has several autofocus points but no point confirmation in the viewfinder. What this means is that it can be focusing on something in the center of the frame or something that is along the border of an invisible box and you won't know.

I changed it to center point only, this means that it will focus whatever is in the very center of the frame. Once you hear the AF beep, you can keep the shutter half pressed and recompose the shot and whatever you focused on will stay in focus.

If you are taking pictures of something that is moving constantly but predictably, like a kid on a carousel or a swing, I use one pass to get focus, then set it to MF and am ready to take pictures when they pass through that spot again.

I would recommend taking about an hour and setting up a scene of stationary objects with lots of contrast and practice a little with the AF system so that you can get comfortable with it. Then take some pictures of some slower moving objects like a dog or a person walking around so that you can get used to it.

You should also keep in mind that green mode will override any setting changes and renable AF-A (camera picks between AF-S or AF-C) and disable centerpoint. I recommend Av (aperature priority) mode to get started, the higher the aperature the longer depth of field you will have, which means more of the scene will be in focus as you get better you can lower the aperature.

08-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Really...

RTFM > Read The F'ing Manual

Pretty damn rude if you ask me. If you have the time to post such dribble, you have the time to properly answer the questions, or not respond. Then you have the nerve to tell someone "you are too busy to own it" and "you must be able to afford the time to learn it".

You're Joking, Right?

The person is looking for a quick answer because the window of opportunity to return the camera is short. If you cannot give a constructive answer, why bother posting at all (RTFM is not a constructive answer)?

Normally, I'm one to want everyone to be polite, and I agree with you totally that putting the "F" word into the acronym is not very friendly.

However, I do have some issue with someone telling me outright that his time to read the manual is more valuable than my time to try to figure out at a distance what, among numerous issues, his problem could be and write it up. I suspect the times expent are somewhat equivalent.
08-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Normally, I'm one to want everyone to be polite, and I agree with you totally that putting the "F" word into the acronym is not very friendly.

However, I do have some issue with someone telling me outright that his time to read the manual is more valuable than my time to try to figure out at a distance what, among numerous issues, his problem could be and write it up. I suspect the times expent are somewhat equivalent.
The simple solution to that is to not respond. However, If actionable time is short, I can understand that someone may come here, hoping for a fast answer, from the experts, so they can make a decision on keeping or returning the camera. At least that's what I got out of the 'don't have time' comment. Not that their time is more valuable than mine. As usual Gene, I think we see things a little differently. Nothing wrong with that, just different.

08-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #22

Just another thought to what might be the problem.
It might be the contacts between the camera and the lens. I'm guessing you got the SMC Pentax 18-55mm DAL with it.
Try detaching the lens, cleaning the metal contacts (dots around the edge) and then connect the lens back together making sure it clicks.

I must agree that the people here just saying RTFM are not really helping, when the person asking the question has very limited time.
I'm sure that they wouldn't appreciate if I just said RTFM on one of their posts. The whole idea of this forum is to help out each other.

Anyway hope you are getting on better with the camera.

08-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The simple solution to that is to not respond. However, If actionable time is short, I can understand that someone may come here, hoping for a fast answer, from the experts, so they can make a decision on keeping or returning the camera. At least that's what I got out of the 'don't have time' comment. Not that their time is more valuable than mine. As usual Gene, I think we see things a little differently. Nothing wrong with that, just different.

All I'm saying is that there are some ill-chosen words by both parties. If you think it is fine to say one's schedule is too busy to read the manual (how much longer could that take than the three minutes the OP says he is spending for each shot), then you are the right person to spend the time to help him, and good on you. I also agree 100% about the tone of those who were offended.

Another suggestion for the OP would be to post in the beginner's section.

Last edited by GeneV; 08-14-2010 at 09:39 AM.
08-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
All I'm saying is that there are some ill-chosen words by both parties. If you think it is fine to say one's schedule is too busy to read the manual (how much longer could that take than the three minutes the OP says he is spending for each shot), then you are the right person to spend the time to help him, and good on you. I also agree 100% about the tone of those who were offended by the request.
Once again. Here is what I said...

QuoteQuote:
If actionable time is short, I can understand that someone may come here, hoping for a fast answer, from the experts, so they can make a decision on keeping or returning the camera
When you don't know what is happening to begin with, it is difficult to find the solution in the manual. The resource is here to ask the people who have been using the camera for several months and may be able to say, "oh yes, the problem is....". You first have to be able to identify a problem before you can find a solution. Having more than one person work on a problem often leads to a quick answer. Except when some of the people relish in saying things like RTFM.

Of course, none of this conversation is helping the OP, Is it? We both seem to have time to engage in this conversation and yet I haven't seen you offer a solution. Maybe I missed that part in reading how you take offense to people's assertions that their time may be more valuable than yours.

08-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Once again. Here is what I said...

When you don't know what is happening to begin with, it is difficult to find the solution in the manual. The resource is here to ask the people who have been using the camera for several months and may be able to say, "oh yes, the problem is....". You first have to be able to identify a problem before you can find a solution. Having more than one person work on a problem often leads to a quick answer. Except when some of the people relish in saying things like RTFM.

Of course, none of this conversation is helping the OP, Is it? We both seem to have time to engage in this conversation and yet I haven't seen you offer a solution. Maybe I missed that part in reading how you take offense to people's assertions that their time may be more valuable than yours.

Quite a response to a post that largely agrees with you and compliments you on your willingness to help. You are right that we have taken too much time on this.
08-14-2010, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #26

I see a couple problems with the Original Posters topic.

1. Wording, i cannot tell from the first post whether the OP is holding the button down all the way thinking the AF works that way or not, better wording for describing the problem would be nice.

2. Not enough information was given. Was the OP using the LCD or the Viewfinder? What setting was the dial on? Fresh set of batteries? ect....

I do not own a K-x, but these 2 things still make a big impact on how others can help solve a problem.

No point in arguing anymore about this. The OP has not replied back, so they either solved the problem, returned the camera, or is an obvious troll.

Unless they are so busy that they just havent been able to check the forum again.
08-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also possible the OP is trying to focus on something closer than the minimum focus distance for his lens. Lots of possibilities here; as everyone says, we need much more information.
08-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'll bet money that he's using Live View. It is absurdly slow on a DSLR. I rarely use it but for the times I do I've set the camera to use Phase Detect. It's fast, but flips the mirror to focus which is annoying; it's noisy and the image disappears.

To the OP: Forget Live View. Try holding the camera up to your eye. It's a lot faster to focus, lets you see expressions etc more clearly and gives you a steadier hold.
08-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #29
Veteran Member

perhaps the the OP fixed the problem himself with a great many of possible solutions and we're all getting worked up over nothing
08-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Xarcell Quote
So I just purchased my first DSLR, a Pentax K-x(black).

So far I'm very disappointed with the camera, and hope it's just something I'm not doing properly.

The problem I'm having is the auto-focus and picture taking. It's annoying! I cannot take pictures when I need it too. I find myself pressing the button several times and it will not take a picture. I held the button down to try and auto-focus before pressing the button to take the shot, but it's sooo inconsistent.

I keep missing good shots because my camera won't take. What gives?

Do you guys have problems with the auto-focus not focusing properly? I try holding it down and releasing when it's focused, but I tend to miss it and I keep getting out of focus pictures.

I don't think the camera is malfunctioning. I think it was either designed that way or I'm not doing something right.

Any help with this?
I also had the same problem. You don't say what lens you are using or what light conditions you're trying to take your photo's in?
I've only had my k-x for about 3 weeks and while using the Sigma 18-125mm lens the auto-focus would go nuts, beeping, going in and out of focus, ended up taking a photo a minute or two later if I'm lucky. The lens works fine in every other mode other than Auto Pict, so I changed the lens over to the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens and have had no problems with the auto-focus at all in Auto Pict. I tried both lenses in high and low light conditions and the Sigma lens was less responsive compared to the Pentax lens. I don't know why the Sigma lens does that and yet the pentax lens is fine. I would suggest trying a different lens and see if it makes any difference.

Does anyone know why I would have this problem with the sigma lens?

Thanks in advance