Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #1

Kx Image Issue - Black Edges on Right Side

the link below is to an image taken with my Kx. notice the black edge on the right side, this is happening with every picture. has anyone seen this problem before? any suggestions on may be causing it?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_EWcaPOzygdU/TGXge2EXtHI/AAAAAAAAC-Q/bHy6uAkHPrs/s720/IMGP2469.jpg

08-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome to Pentax forums.

I presume this is happening only in images you view in PEF/DNG RAW format, and then save to JPG for example, rather than JPG's straight out of camera?

If yes, it is an issue of that black bar appearing in your DNG/PEF RAW output, there is nothing to worry about. A quick search on these forums would reveal many K-x users have pointed out this and similar issues before, including myself after I first bought my K-x last year

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/77534-k-x-dng-outp...-band-rhs.html

The solution is to update your image viewing application. Early versions of Picasa for example didn't know how to handle (ie mask off) those sections of the PEF/DNG output. But any up-to-date image management software (Adobe Lightroom past 2.6, Adobe Elements 8, ACR, FastStone etc) know how to display K-x PEF/DNG's properly.
08-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed. I've seen this on K7 RAW output in software that couldn't quite handle the files. Updating software cures it (in my case). In the case of PEF files, color channels were also mixed (PSP XII).

08-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
this is a relief, thanks guys. Yes I was shooting DNG RAW format and organizing them in picasa.