Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is your K-7's digital leveller really level?

I've checked with a physical spirit level and the digital one seems to be 1-2 deg out.

08-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
I've checked with a physical spirit level and the digital one seems to be 1-2 deg out.
I don't know. I shut it off the day I got the camera. I use the lines on the focus screen to line up the camera, then I slightly tilt the camera when I press the shutter release. End result is, I'm fixing the tilted horizon in PP anyway.

Your observation seems to be the case with most however but I thought, that a recent firmware release fixed it.
08-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
I am using the most recent firmware. I guess it's more of a calibration issue. Hopefully the next firmware can allow users to calibrate the leveler. Else, it's really a waste for such a cool feature.
08-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have noticed on a few of my shots that the electronic level stays the photo is dead level but when I view the photo back on my computer monitor I have noticed that sometimes the shot is just a tad bit off level.

It could be that the level is just a small bit off or the horizon in my photo was fading away from me on one end of the photo. By that I mean that if I am shooting something and one end of the horizon or even a table top for close still life work is closer to me than the other the end resulting photo can appear to have a slightly tilted horizon. It's a matter of perspective.

I like the electronic level as a tool to get the photo as close to level as I can in the field, and most of the time it does a great job. I really like the new level feature in the new filmware update. However, in the end like another poster to this thread I usually fix any slight tilt using Photoshop.

08-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I find Horizon Correction to be more useful than the Electronic Level. And if a shot is still off, I just correct in PP.
08-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #6

Mine was wonky and Pentax fixed it. Turned it around in about 3 weeks.
08-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Mine is hard to tell. sometimes it is rather accurate sometimes it is not. I remember using it to take a sunrise photo of the ocean a couple of months back and turn on the leveling thingy And I observe that the camera is asking me to tilt slightly to the right when i can see with my eyes that that will be moving away from being horizontal.

I did not pay much attention about it as I try to use my eyes to do the leveling. Where i fail, i thought to myself "oh well, try harder the next time"

The only time i really use the leveling feature is when i shoot at a low angle and do not want to crawl on the floor to look at the view finder. I then aim the camera at an angle and use the leveling feature to determine if the view is level or not.

Just like my iphone, the leveling feature is a nice feature but it is never accurate. if u really need that kind of accuracy, i suppose u can get those leveling spirit bubble thingy.

08-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wesbo Quote
Mine was wonky and Pentax fixed it. Turned it around in about 3 weeks.
Ditto.

Whenever I buy a dSLR, I figure sending it in for adjustment and calibration is part of the bargain.
08-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I checked mine, and it seems dead on. I can't complain about that.
08-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just checked mine against bogen 3047 head and unitek 4' level. Looks to be right on.
08-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
Ole
Administrator

Both mine are dead on.
08-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I'd trust the spirit level just as much as the camera. Have you checked your spirit level?

Are you near the ocean? Check it against the horizon of the sea.
08-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
hcc
Pentaxian

There has been a long running thread on the topic:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/87206-k-7-electronic-level.html
08-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I'd trust the spirit level just as much as the camera. Have you checked your spirit level?

Are you near the ocean? Check it against the horizon of the sea.
Yes, have checked the level`s. Next step is to break out the protractor.
08-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #15

level

When I first got my K7, the level was off by 1-4 degrees so I did not use it at all!. After firmware 1.10 and using the new full-screen view, it seems to be right on. Why, who knows! I may use it the future when using a tripod.