Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K100D Super: Class 6 or 4 SD?

Hi,

The K100D Super is not a speed demon. I know. Would a class 6 or higher card make a difference vs a Class 4?

Thanks,

EDIT:Trying to edit the title. It is K100D not K1000D

Last edited by ismaelg; 08-14-2010 at 06:35 PM.
08-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the price difference, I would go with the class 6 regardless. I would think the only real difference there would be is in write speed and that may affect your fps rate but that's about it. If you don't use continuous drive (as I don't), I doubt it matters much.

08-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have read that batteries matter though, that instead of using 1.2V rechargeables and using 1.5V makes it a bit faster...meaning since you are using four 1.2V batteries, you are actually losing/sacrificing 1.2V that is lost since optimal battery voltage with four 1.5V is 6volts.
..that is why they say that the CRV3 batteries cranks the optimal performance out of the K100D super or any "AA" operated DSLRs.
08-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It doesn't matter with the K100D Super. The shot buffer can only hold three RAW files.

You will never, ever stress an SD card enough with this camera for the class to affect anything.

08-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
It doesn't matter with the K100D Super. The shot buffer can only hold three RAW files.

You will never, ever stress an SD card enough with this camera for the class to affect anything.
+1. I tried both Class 2 and Class 6 on my K100D and see no difference so I used Class 2 on on K100D and Class 6 on my K10D instead.
08-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I can attest to the 3 shot buffer, but I don't know how fast the camera to card interface is. If anything, the smaller the buffer, the more important it is to get data to the card as fast as possible.

On the other hand, probably the actual card specs matter more than the claimed class, so you'd have to know the actual specs for the models of cards you're interested in, and then compare it to what speed the k100 is capable of.

Paul
08-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I can attest to the 3 shot buffer, but I don't know how fast the camera to card interface is. If anything, the smaller the buffer, the more important it is to get data to the card as fast as possible.

On the other hand, probably the actual card specs matter more than the claimed class, so you'd have to know the actual specs for the models of cards you're interested in, and then compare it to what speed the k100 is capable of.

Paul
I got the chance recently to work with an Adata class 6 card and have had an Extreme III 20mb/ w/r
version and I have to say that under casual shooting, it's hard to notice. However, if you are filling up the buffer continuously, then you will see the difference. I was actually getting 4 shots before the camera would pause a short 1-2 secs to finish writing with the Extreme III, The Adata took 3 shots and took about 2-3 seconds to write on the card. There is a difference, but with the K100D it's small. It does play a key part in exporting the files to your comp though, there is a clear difference there! Much faster with the Extreme III!