Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
White Balance with Ring Flash

Is there any way to help rid the retched yellowing which occurs with a ring flash.
The two pics shown are both on a tripod, the first no flash, the second with.
These are taken with the setting on AWB. Is yellowing caused by too low or high
setting? 8000K is recommended for shade, while 5000K for flash. I will experiment,
but though it a good subject.

Attached Images

08-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Flash WB. If you want to use a manual WB get a gray card, take a picture of that, and use it to set your WB.

08-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot a k20d and current model Pentax ringlight at AWB and get great color and whites with no adjustments. What are you using?
08-15-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

which ring flash are you using? I set my camera permanently to 5000 Kelvin and I haven't had a single problem with the colour temperature with me AF160FC ringflash.

08-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I believe you are seeing the color issue because you have the custom menu item to use "flash WB" when using flash set. This overrides the setting chosen in the Fn menu WB settings. On the K20D this is custom menu item #11 and it has three options, AWB, Unchanged, and Flash. If you set this to unchanged then whatever you have set in the Fn menu will drive the WB.

The reason for the yellowing is that you are using a slow shutter speed and the ambient light is driving the exposure. There isn't enough light from the flash to drive the WB. If you want the flash to drive the WB and the exposure then increase your shutter speed to 1/60 or above.

Thank you
Russell
08-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
More info.

The camera is a K-10D with Pentax FA 100 and Pentax AF 160 FC ring flash on a tripod.
The left pic is iso 100, f/16, 0.3 sec and the right iso 100, f/19, 1/125. Both were
shots on AWB.

For Russell-Evens. yes the "WB when using flash" was activated. Didn't know about that ditty. The shutter speed on the flash shot was 1/125.

Thanks to all for the pointers.
08-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I just took two more identical shots without and with ring flash, iso 100, f/16. I
tried all options of white balance. The winner is AWB as almost identical to natural light.
See pics, left natural light, right ring flash. Isn't technology great. Thanks, so much for the insight. I'm off to Thailand for field work and now I can be certain the RF will
duplicate the true colors. But of course I will lug along my Manfroto gearhead none the less. When I'm down in the mud at flower level, the RF is a winner.
Attached Images

08-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I'm glad the issue seems resolved although I'm left confused since your original posted shot was at AWB and looks nothing like the last one posted. Oh well, I look forward to seeing Thailand upon your return.

08-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster

For Imtheguy-- Russell Evans had the answer. Even though you are set to AWB in the FN menu, in the Custom Menu there is an item called "WB when using flash". If you
select "flash", then use a ring flash, AWB is overridden. That is why the first pic (first post) on right was yellowed. On the second trial, I selected "unchanged" and it came
out almost identical to the natural light shot.
08-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john mood Quote
The shutter speed on the flash shot was 1/125.
Strong light or being relatively far away from the subject for the flash's output does kill my assumption about the shutter speed, sorry.

Does the 160 do HSS?

Thank you
Russell
08-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the clarification. I always knew Russell was way smarter than me.

Actually, I had experimented with that custom setting long ago and ended up leaving it on AWB. Now though I have to put it back on Flash, mount the RF just to see how sickly it turns out because it sounds like either the RF is a different temperture than the hot shoe flash, or a lot of ambient light is warming up your whites. Whatever, no need to respond. Enjoy your trip.
08-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Does the 160 do HSS?

Thank you
Russell
There is no setting on the 160 for HSS. If there is a way to do it I don't know about it.
08-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
There is no setting on the 160 for HSS. If there is a way to do it I don't know about it.
It would be great if there were. You can (as you already know) turn the output of the flash down if it's too much. In situations where I want HSS, I'll cord the 540 to the hot shoe and hand hold the flash. I haven't gone sophisticated enough to use stands for flashes yet.

I'm going to have to try turning off the Flash WB when using Flash option and break down and try AWB..

With the flash (DFA100 f2.8WR)

Without the flash

Both are decent shots IMO but the top one took some doing to bring the WB just right (or as close as possible).. The blacks are boosted a little in the bottom shot to help bring out some texture in the flower.

08-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

no, I can confirm the non existence of HSS on the AF160FC. However, I rarely use it in my flash work even with my Canon/Nikon DSLR cameras.