Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2007, 06:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K12D

How successful do you think a Pentax camera with the following capabilities would be on the dSLR marketplace?

1) Similar specifications to the D300
2) In body SR
3) Full weather-sealing
4) Priced $100 less than the D300

Last edited by Tbear; 08-25-2007 at 06:10 AM.
08-25-2007, 06:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Fine, but there's a lack of Pentax glass to back it up like Nikon has.
08-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To high

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
How successful do you think a Pentax camera with the following capabilities would be on the dSLR marketplace?

2) In body SR
3) Full weather-sealing
If you take a look at the usual spread between Nikon and Pentax there is about a 20-25% price difference. The Pentax has to have more features than the Nikon. The camera you are suggesting would have to have a MSRP of $1,495 and a street price of about $1,000 after the initial surge.

That would put it right in line with what the Canon 40D will be selling for 5 months after introduction and a good price point in comparison to the K10D. It might equal the sales of the K10D which would be somewhere in the area of 15,000 a month as near as I can figure out. That is just a SWAG on my part. Pentax projected the K10D at 13,000 a month and it appears they are doing about 20% better than expected.

Just my guess.

Regards,

Ken
08-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think a D300 spec'd camera is needed really. Pentax should take aim at the 40d. Aside from frame rate and things like picture styles the K10d already competes quite well with the Canon 40d. Upping the frame rate and putting the new Sony sensor in would probably give a camera that would be better than the 40d at a probably cheaper price.

08-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Fine, but there's a lack of Pentax glass to back it up like Nikon has.
[shrug] Nikon does not have the limiteds or stabilization solution with short primes.
08-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

And how many people seriously consider buying Pentax Limiteds... not all that many. They are there for those of us who like really fantastic quality in every sense and are prepared to pay for it, much like collectors of German glass... but if the question is about success in the marketplace, I don't see Limited glass as being a huge factor. To be honest Pentax also loses the marketing advantage of SR when you consider that Canon is now putting IS even in its cheap kit lenses. The top-level glass and the SR are nice things to have but I can't see them appealing to the average dSLR buyer in the way many seem to think.

Anyway, let the speculation about non-existent cameras continue I propose the K23-and-a-half-D Super-Duper... it will have the specs of whatever happens to be the latest wonder-camera, but with dust-reduction, breathing-smear-on-LCD-reduction, hydrogen bomb and EMP sealing, a Tic-Tac dispenser and cigarette holder. Good thing Pentax as always are reading and taking notes eh
08-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #7

Upgrade, don't buy anew.....

I've said this before, but here goes again....What Pentax needs to do to leap-frog ahead of the competition is to come out with a body that is fully upgradable; one that a user could take to a good shop and have them replace/upgrade the sensor, the automation innards, etc. While the '10' is computerized a bit, the totally upgradable unit would be highly computerized so that replacement of chips would negate the requirement for a new body every so often. All of those camera experts at Pentax need to be replaced by computer experts!
FLASH

08-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Bring the stop down coupler back and I'll be happy. =p I mean Nikon's kept their aperture linkage going. (Except the mid and consumer level dslrs)
08-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FLASH Quote
I've said this before, but here goes again....What Pentax needs to do to leap-frog ahead of the competition is to come out with a body that is fully upgradable; one that a user could take to a good shop and have them replace/upgrade the sensor, the automation innards, etc. While the '10' is computerized a bit, the totally upgradable unit would be highly computerized so that replacement of chips would negate the requirement for a new body every so often. All of those camera experts at Pentax need to be replaced by computer experts!
An interesting idea, but the problem is that the sensor and image processing engine are deeply linked, so that'd pretty much have to be one module. And that module would be such a huge percentage of the overall costs that, when you add in the extra expense of engineering a modular system, I don't think there'd be any practical advantage. (Other than the psychological appeal of upgradeable over disposable.)
08-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Bring the stop down coupler back and I'll be happy. =p I mean Nikon's kept their aperture linkage going. (Except the mid and consumer level dslrs)
That would make me very happy.... That and the Sony sensor if it turns out to be as good as it sounds...
08-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FLASH Quote
FLASH
I am not an engineer, but I don't think you will see this happen. The architecture of camera's are optimized to work as a whole. If you started designing them to be modular, to allow component upgrades, I suspect there will be too many design compromises required.

Mike.
08-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #12

Dear God, I don't think I can take much more of this prognostication....

I mean it is interesting to a point...and I certainly mean no disrespect.....but I for one am waiting for the "ANNOUNCEMENT" this week.

If we don't hear anything this week.....well, Benjikan.....it's your fault.

I mean I want to be able to sit with my fellow photogs shooting Canon and Nikon and brag about......something......and frankly.... two new P&S is not that something.

So I'm hopin for this week to be the week.

Noticeably silent is Ben, Ned and others connected to PENTAX....is this a sign?

PS- sorry to hijack this thread. I'll shutup now.
08-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
Inactive Account

i want to see pentax come up with a better neck strap. my k10d one is lame. plus, i can't afford to upgrade anything else at the moment... except maybe a microfibre cloth.
08-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Pentax K12D ???

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote

2) In body SR
3) Full weather-sealing

Are you certain about calling your camera the K12D? Using the current Pentax numbering system, the more advanced cameras have the smallest numbers. Therefore, a camera more capable than the K10D would need a number smaller than 10 (K8D, K5D, or similar), while a K12D would be slightly less advanced.

stewart
08-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Are you certain about calling your camera the K12D? Using the current Pentax numbering system, the more advanced cameras have the smallest numbers. Therefore, a camera more capable than the K10D would need a number smaller than 10 (K8D, K5D, or similar), while a K12D would be slightly less advanced.

stewart
Aren't we getting a bit carried away with semantics? Call it the KXD (you supply the X), the point of my thread remains identical.

Regards,

Ted