Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K7 SD Card capacity

Anybody know what the K7's limit is on SD card size? I can't find any mention of any limit anywhere. The K10's max was 4GB.

08-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I used 16GB SDHC cards on the K10D. Was SDHC capability a firmware update?
As far as I'm aware, K-7 can take any capacity SD/SDHC cards.
08-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual does not specify a limitation in capacity, only says to use SD or SDHC.
08-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Forum Member

I'm using a 16GB Sandisk Class 6 without problem. I suggest browsing through pentaximaging.com. Pentax's support site sez:

Q: Which SD (SDHC) Memory Cards have been tested for compatibility?

A: Compatibility with the K-7 has been tested with memory cards from the following manufacturers.

Panasonic
SD Memory Cards with capacities between 512 MB and 2 GB
SDHC Memory Cards with capacities between 4 GB and 32 GB

Toshiba
SDHC Memory Cards with capacities between 4 GB and 32 GB

SanDisk
SDHC Memory Cards with capacities of 4 GB and 32 GB

* As of April 2009

Note: When recording a movie, using a Class 6 or faster SD (SDHC) Memory Card with a guaranteed maximum write speed of at least 10 MB/sec. allows you to shoot the movie without having to stop mid-way.
Note: When using SD (SDHC) Memory Cards with slow transfer rates, the start-up time and the number of recordable images for continuous shooting may be affected.

Note: When saving still images, using a Class 6 or faster SD (SDHC) Memory Card with a guaranteed maximum write speed of at least 10 MB/sec. gives no noticeable improvement in the continuous shooting speed.

Note: SD (SDHC) memory cards with a guaranteed write speed of 6MB/s(48Mbps) or more are designated Class 6 (the number "6" encircled by the capital letter "C") on the front of the card.

The information above is given for the convenience of customers and does not guarantee complete compatibility with the K-7

08-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Where did you get the idea that the K10D is limited to 4GB? The manual only refers to 4GB, because that was the largest available when the K10D was being designed and tested.

I sent Pentax an email after I got mine, and their reply was that as far as they knew, the K10D could take any SDHC card. The SDHC standard goes only to 32GB, and afaik, no one is selling SDXC (64GB and up) cards yet. Presumably, when they do come out, they will not work in the K10D.

Personally, I don't use large cards in my K10D. I use 2GB and 4GB cards. If the card becomes corrupt or I lose one, I haven't lost my entire vacation. I shoot RAW (PEF) + JPEG and my average file size is 13MB (RAW) and 3MB (JPEG) for a total of 16MB per image. That means that I can get 256 images on a single 4GB card. That's more than enough for one photo session, at least for me. K-7 RAW files are probably bigger and four-star jpeg images are probably bigger than my three-star images, so a K-7 isn't going to hold that many images.

SDXC cards should be available soon. I doubt that Pentax will release a firmware update for my K10D, but they probably would for the K-7. I don't know if that is possible or not.

From Wikipedia:

SDHC and SDXC compatibility issues

In the 3.0 specification, the electronic interface of SDHC and SDXC cards is the same. The decision to label cards with a capacity greater than 32GB as SDXC, and to use a different filesystem, is due solely to the limitations in creating larger filesystems in certain versions of Microsoft Windows. Other operating systems, such as Linux, make no distinction between SDHC and SDXC cards, as long as the card contains a compatible filesystem.

SDHC and SDXC cards and devices have these compatibility issues:

- SDHC devices will only support the SDXC cards which use UHS104 speeds;

- SDHC devices will not recognize the SDXC cards which use the faster (SD 4.0),
final specification of SDXC.

- SDXC devices are backward compatible with SD and SDHC memory cards.

- Linux (with a proprietary driver for the exFAT filesystem[48]), Microsoft Windows
7/Vista SP1+[47]/XP SP2+ (with exFAT update)[49], and Mac OS X Snow Leopard
(on the Mac Mini released in June 2010 & iMac released in July 2010)[50] are the
only operating systems to currently support SDXC.
08-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wksmall Quote
The K10's max was 4GB.
My K10D bodies don't know that! They've been pretty happy with 16BG SDHC cards. I'll have to go tell them.
08-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have an 32 Gb class 10 card and it works fine.
11-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #8

Hi Ron, could you please give details on the card you use. ( Brand and Class )
I read that incompatability of cards can cause sesnor to over-heat on continous video shooting, or stop Videos recording every couple of minutes..
I therefore want to avoid this problem.
Thanks ! Mike

11-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BikeMike Quote
Hi Ron, could you please give details on the card you use. ( Brand and Class )
I read that incompatability of cards can cause sesnor to over-heat on continous video shooting, or stop Videos recording every couple of minutes..
I therefore want to avoid this problem.
Thanks ! Mike
Sensor heating during video is going to happen when the camera can't get rid of the heat. So in warm temperature it's heating up, in cold no problem. Using the Shake Reduction also ads to the heat build-up, only I have no idea how much.

This has nothing to do with your SDHC-card using.

I have some SanDisc cards, 4Gb, 8Gb and 16Gb and a PSi (is that correct name, not in my home at the time).
11-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a 32gb Sandisk Ultra that has been serving me well in the K7, and now the K5.
Regarding sensor overheat, this is laterally affected by the card, though it has nothing to do with brand or speed, other than the camera shutting off if the card can't keep up.
A large card will allow the camera to record video for longer than it is able to without overheating.
11-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #11

Sandisk capacities with K-7?

With the new sandisk extreme sdhc class 10 cards, how much video from the K-7 can the 16gb and 32gb hold? I was told 660 or so RAW images for the 16 and twice that for the 32, but can't get any video specs and don't know if I should get a 32. Thanks!
11-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter

The FAT file system used imposes a maximum file size of 4gb (minus 1 byte), so this would be the longest video file size.
11-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
My K10D bodies don't know that! They've been pretty happy with 16BG SDHC cards. I'll have to go tell them.
My K10D has been using 8GB cards all along...
01-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #14

The recently released firmware upgrade for K7 enables that camera to use SDXC. The largest SDXC card presently available is 64gb.

Last edited by wolfd; 01-19-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo