Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Should I get the Pentax K7?

I am posting on behalf of a friend (a non-english speaking friend) who is looking to purchase Pentax K7 as an upgrade for his K20D but is wondering if he should wait for any new models that are expected to be announced by Pentax at the Photokina. He already has a buyer for the K20D and 16-45mm f4 lens. He's keeping all his prime lenss and the new 17-70mm f4 he just got. He came into some winnings and look to upgrade his K20D.

Told me he had read in Chinese magazines (from HK & Taiwan)) that Pentax may be announcing a replacement for the K7 next month.

Any suggestion? I believe the K7 will contniue and be sold along side any new models coming out since prices for the body has gone up and the 2+year warranty is still being offered by some online dealers like AbeOfMaine and B&H. The price did go down for a short while but has came back up to around $870 average for the body.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. C. Foong

08-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Forum Member

If it's a hobby, I'd wait and see what the choices are. I just took delivery of a new K-7 a few days ago, but that was because it's business. I need the advantages now, and want to avoid another outlay for another tub o' film and development. I'm using twice as much as I projected a year ago. I'm sure your friend is not NEEDING to buy right now, so why not wait a little longer?
08-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'll go a different way, I think it's all just about how much you want to wait

The K20d is already a really capable camera and a lot of people have held off upgrading from the K20d to the K7. The new/next K7 will likely be 5 to 6 hundred dollars more than a K7 is right now, and that money could be spent on food and shelter, or more importantly, lenses

Looking at the rumors, the new K7 might only be another incremental upgrade, not that much of a step up from the K7 but probably a larger step up from the K20d.

So basically, you can get an incremental upgrade for a small amount of money now, or a larger upgrade for a huge amount of money, or you could just keep waiting until the next K7 drops in price to where the current K7 is right now, which might be the best option, but the value of the K20d will drop as well, so you wont be able to sell it for as much after the new K7 drops in price

There doesn't seem to be a very clear decision to me, especially when we don't actually know what's around the bend, but what we do know is that whatever's coming will be far more expensive than the current K7

Last edited by future_retro; 08-15-2010 at 07:51 PM.
08-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd wait and see what the next model will be, unless there is a real hurry. The K-7 isn't going to get more expensive.

08-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #5

If there's not a need to upgrade, why not wait?

I read that K7 is a very good camera so how much improvement will the new models have? This is something to consider. Also new doesn't necessarily mean better.

Exactly when will the new models be in the market, no one knows as well. Only time can tell.
08-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is no particular pressing need to buy the K7 now. I would wait a few weeks and see what PHotokina holds. The only thing is that the price of the new camera is guaranteed to be more the current prices of the K7. I never purchase at the opening price myself, so unless he is willing to buy at the initial price, he will likely need to wait awhile before the price of the new (K5?) comes down.
08-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
SPB

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Xlusionist Quote
If there's not a need to upgrade, why not wait?

I read that K7 is a very good camera so how much improvement will the new models have? This is something to consider. Also new doesn't necessarily mean better.

Exactly when will the new models be in the market, no one knows as well. Only time can tell.
The K7 is a great camera, updated mine from K10 to K7. The thing that hits me the most about it is metering, seems to be far more accurate. I have not had it a long time and need to investigate all the other bells and whistles! However in Manual mode this camera is a really good one so I am glad I made the decision.
08-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tcsfoong Quote
I believe the K7 will contniue and be sold along side any new models coming out since prices for the body has gone up and the 2+year warranty is still being offered by some online dealers like AbeOfMaine and B&H. The price did go down for a short while but has came back up to around $870 average for the body.
I just wanted to chime in that Pentax has always run a 2-body lineup. As others have said, it definitely won't hurt to see what is going to be released, but you have to keep in mind that production on the K-7 will likely stop several months in advance of the next forthcoming body. Used bodies will pop up as users upgrade with the new model as well, but the odds of Pentax continuing production on the K-7 once the new model arrives are pretty slim.

Once the announcement is out there, the decision will obviously then be whether the cost of the newest body and its features outweigh the now budget-priced K-7 and its features, since the price difference will likely be twice that of the K-7 (or close to that much).