Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
music_lover

Does anybody have info on K-7 replacement

Does anybody have any info on K-7 replacement Model? I wasrecently going to Purchase the K-7, but decided to hold off because of a feeling I have that the new model will have better High ISO specs.
Does new model have higher MP?
Is new model faster then the 5.2fps of the k-7? I am hoping for at least 16MP
What about any new features not on k-7?
anybody know anything? I am asking because I have my eyes on that and the Nikon D90 replacement model and the Canon 60D as cameras to compare.

One the thing I do know is the d90 replacement model is said to have 39 AF Points! and somewhere around 6fps, up from the 4.5fps on d90
Can Pentax Top that?

Last edited by music_lover; 08-16-2010 at 12:27 AM.
08-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

there's an infinite number of speculation threads in the news and rumor section.

I don't think there's any solid specs but the main difference is that the K7 is ~870 and you can have one overnighted and delivered by tuesday

with whatever is coming, we don't know what the heck to expect except that you can't get one now and that it will be way more expensive than the K7
08-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
Does anybody have any info on K-7 replacement Model? I wasrecently going to Purchase the K-7, but decided to hold off because of a feeling I have that the new model will have better High ISO specs.
anybody know anything? I am asking because I have my eyes on that and the Nikon D90 replacement model and the Canon 60D as cameras to compare.

One the thing I do know is the d90 replacement model is said to have 39 AF Points! and somewhere around 6fps, up from the 4.5fps on d90
Can Pentax Top that?
I douubt very much if Pentax is interest in "topping that". If your sole motivation is camera body specifications, then you will not ever be happy looking at Pentax, they will never have anything that will spec out as high as what is now mid range cameras from Canon or Nikon.
OTOH, if you like taking pictures and want the best lenses possible, you will never be happy with Nikon or Canon, so it's a trade off.
Good glass takes better pictures, high spec camera bodies look good in pissing matches.
08-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wheatfield, I wish we'd had time to get together before I moved away from SK. Always ready with a witty and eloquent response.

08-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Can Pentax Top that?
There will be a replacement. Unless Pentax pulls a FF rabbit out of their butts, it will cost $400 or $500 more than the current price of the K7. Otherwise it will cost more. Many will say it isn't worth the upgrade if you already Have a K7, others will swear you can't live without it. As soon as it comes out, the tech chasers will be asking for the NEXT one.

That's My speculation on the new models, based on past history.

08-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I douubt very much if Pentax is interest in "topping that". If your sole motivation is camera body specifications, then you will not ever be happy looking at Pentax, they will never have anything that will spec out as high as what is now mid range cameras from Canon or Nikon.
OTOH, if you like taking pictures and want the best lenses possible, you will never be happy with Nikon or Canon, so it's a trade off.
Good glass takes better pictures, high spec camera bodies look good in pissing matches.
Yes Wheatfield, I know Pentax will never Top Canon or Nikon, i'm no dumbas* as if i was born yesterday This thread was not intended to see who had the better camera, it was intended to get specs of the k-7 replacement, BECAUSE I LIKE PENTAX! SO, if i wanted a better camera don't you think i would go with Nikon or Canon for the better Cameras?
08-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You'd probably best keep an eye on the News and Rumors section for this kind of info. There's certainly a lot of speculation there.

Summary:

* All makers will introduce new bodies in the next month or so, perhaps beginning next week.

* K-7 will continue in the market. Price is unknown but I predict it will not vary much. Higher model is not a replacement because K-7 stays in the product line for a while.

* Higher K-5 model will cost more and have better specs. OK, so that's obvious.

* You will have to wait for the official announcements to get confirmation (rather than speculation) of the full specs you need or ....

* You can buy the K-7 now.

That's about as simple as it gets.

08-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is your lens lineup like?

The k-X is very inexpensive and has high ISO functionality rivaling the D90. It is not weather sealed / have as many AF points, but it is relatively inexpensive will be a way better deal than chasing the most advance available tech.

The reason I ask is because you are comparing 3 brands - which I assume means you don't have any money invested in lenses.

If you have money to blow and are looking for state of the art tech, look to Nikon (or Canon really). Those two companies have very robust R&D. Pentax is a value brand - great quality lenses, PRACTICAL bodies, and huge savings.

You can take the same picture with any system - if you are good enough. And the fancy tech of nikon/canon will not mask the work of a bad photographer.

I'm inclined to think that Pentax isn't interested in "topping that" - their business strategy seems to be collecting Pentax owners at the entry level to boost lens sales. To be perfectly honest, the aging k20d takes great pictures, and I'm beginning to doubt whether future improvements will be anything like that we have seen in camera technology over the past 10 years. At a certain point, more megapixels really just translates out into less free disk space, and high ISO performance is already reaching the point of night vision .
08-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
if you are good enough.

If i'm good Enough? Well let's see! I've had 2 Film Slr's, 4 or 5 DSLR's, took Photography in High School 27 years ago. Yeah, I'd say so, along about Advance Amature
08-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If i'm good Enough? Well let's see! I've had 2 Film Slr's, 4 or 5 DSLR's, took Photography in High School 27 years ago. Yeah, I'd say so, along about Advance Amature
Owning stuff doesn't necessarily equate to proficiency in its use (example: me and my trombone). Not owning stuff doesn't equate to not knowing what to do with it (lots of top photogs don't own gear, they rent it). You've only had *two* (2) film SLRs? Pshaw. Not trying to start a pissing contest here, just warning you to be careful about bragging. Have fun!
08-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #11
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Owning stuff doesn't necessarily equate to proficiency in its use (example: me and my trombone). Not owning stuff doesn't equate to not knowing what to do with it (lots of top photogs don't own gear, they rent it). You've only had *two* (2) film SLRs? Pshaw. Not trying to start a pissing contest here, just warning you to be careful about bragging. Have fun!
Well I wasn't bragging, and i do know what i'm doing behind the camera
08-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Definitive info: New models coming out soon, stay tuned.

This is 100% true and all other information is mere speculation.

Jason
08-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
Inactive Account

this thread is funny.
08-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Claude Quote
this thread is funny.
I'm curios as to what is funny about it:ugh:
08-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

• To attrack entry level customers I think the low pricing of K-x is great
    • They indeed might consider to invest in more glass and found out they love it and get addicted
  • K-7 having significantly worse high-ISO performance than K-x is unhandy
    • I might have invested more in both lenses and body, but now for sure go for the K-x
  • It would be smart to introduce a model above to K-7
    • With besides other features at least better High-ISO, but of course at significantly higher price, otherwise the K-7 is dead or drops close to the K-x price level
  • It would also be smart to update the K-x (but timing depends on priorities)
    • Video specs are significantly worse compared to most direct competition the Canon EOS 550D, entry level people look at this!!! (incl Stereo mic (if needed via connector))
    • The build-in flash being the assist light source for focussing in low light situations is irritating. They might safe a couple of bucks this way, but it can damage image of Pentax
    • The focus points showing up in OVF, who cares? I don't, but also this might be a gadget that newbies look at, but it might be expensive to build in...
  • A tele converter for non-Pentax lenses would be break through
    • Of course with Pentax mounting
    • But why not with other mountings as well?