Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 02:16 AM   #1

K20D stabilizer bug

Hello, fellows!
I own Pentax K20D.
The stabilizer in my camera started working in a random order, for example, in the afternoon, when exposure is very short, blurry images are obtained. I removed the lens from the camera, turned off the stabilizer, looked at a large exposure to the matrix - it shakes with a very large amplitude! The same thing I saw in the Live View mode - the display randomly shaking. It's impossible to switch off stabilizer?
What could happen with the stabilizer and is there a way to solve the problem without a service center?

08-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a switch below the arrow keys that disables shake reduction. What you're describing sounds like normal operation, though.

You should ask further questions here: Pentax Beginner's Corner Q&A - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
No.
1. I got motion blur on short exposures (less then 1/60 of second) both with stab enabled and disabled
2. I had this camera for 2 years and I know where and how to disable stab, but that switch has no effect to the behavour of the Share reduction system: that fires randomly!
3. And the matrix shakes very hard - I can fell this by hands when shoting
4. Or possible this is not shake reduction, is it Dust Removal system? O_o

Last edited by OmegaMale; 08-16-2010 at 03:51 AM.
08-16-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you talking about a stabilizer on your lens as well? In live view mode, it's normal for the SR system to work continuously.

Keep in mind that one common mistake frequently made is that users forget to let the SR system arm. If you take a photo, and SR is on, but SR icon wasn't lit at the time you took the photo, the system might backfire.

Your hypothesis in point #4 is very interesting, but again, you should be able to tell by the sound of the system. Should there be something wrong with the camera, it'll obviously need to be sent in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can not feel SR. You can feel dust removal shaking.
08-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Inactive Account

See my post under IS broken:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/99210-broken.html
08-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You can not feel SR. You can feel dust removal shaking.
I can feel SR from the start of using my camera (little shakes and low sound, just try It )

DR shaking camera much more hard. But who know what is my current problem

08-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Senseicameratech Quote
Ok, thank you.
08-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OmegaMale Quote
I can feel SR from the start of using my camera (little shakes and low sound, just try It )

DR shaking camera much more hard. But who know what is my current problem
The sound you hear on startup *is* the dust removal - just a shorter version of it than what you get if you choose it from the menu later. You can turn off the dust removal on startup via another menu item.