Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #16
krs
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the tips - valid points...

I will also get the suggested book "Understanding Exposure". Seems like I saw some interesting links here on the topic, but cannot find it now...

I would be curious if there are any comments on the color of the two pictures I submitted. I feel the first one is more "accurate" in terms of the colors of the field and such, but the second one is "warmer".

I realize I am still talking pre-photo 101....

08-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #17
Forum Member

why not try the SCN mode of kids or pets, it is for quick moving scenes of kids and pets. may be worth a try.
08-27-2007, 08:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aabram Quote
Since we're speaking of composition here... That pic would not make a good example. I can understand why tall guy is missing the head - since the action and focus is downstairs with the ball, but then again half of the ball and boys' feet are cut off for some reason.

The point about filling the viewport with meaningful action is valid though.
You have a valid criticism. The kid in the middle is mine and that's the one that I'm trying to frame in the photo, So I'm not watching the tall player on the other team.

I'm set up just behind the goal line just to the right of the goal so the kids are running directly at me. I'm trying to keep the kids in focus as they are running directly toward me at full speed. I'm trying to watch the ball and the action so I can predict the focus and the framing of the shot as they come closer. I'm trying the trip the shutter exactly when my son kicks the ball. I'm trying to zoom the lens for the best composition and framing.

My son just stole the ball from the big kid and was charging toward the goal. That's why the big kid's feet are pointing in weird directions from the change of direction. So I didn't manage to zoom far enough out for good framing on the feet and the ball, since they were moving away from me just a second earlier and I was zooming in rather than out.

So it's not a perfect shot (and I don't have too many perfect shots). My point was that you need to fill the frame for good action shots. My example is admittedly imperfect, but I hope it conveys the idea.
08-27-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Ever thought about taking a beginning digital photography class in a junior/community college? Fees are cheap and it'll force you to understand exposure as well as shoot different situations. A decent way of familiarizing yourself in the subject.

Having classmates learning the same things creates a pretty helpful atmosphere.

08-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #20
krs
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes - I have thought about taking a photography class. If only time was not an issue...