Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Need video: K-7 or K-x but want to upgrade

I'm sure this has been talked about plenty, but I haven't been as active in the forums lately...

Basically I NEED video and the sooner the better....and I don't really intend on moving to another system (do have access to a Flip camera but won't really cut it). I've had the K10d, currently have the K20d and even bought my sister a K-m a couple years back.

That leaves the K-7 or K-x. I've done some reading and I don't really know which one is better. The K-7 is obviously more appealing being the current flagship Pentax camera but I'm fairly certain I could get by with the K-x. Any reasons to NOT get the K-7 besides saving some $$$?

Then, if Pentax ever decides to release a new camera, I would be very interested in upgrading to that.

Would like to hear everyone's thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

08-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only think the K-x has over the K-7 is better high ISO performance, so unless you need that, the K-7 would be superior. It has higher video video resolution- just check the camera reviews section for the specs
08-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-x doesn't allow for an external mic the way the K7 does. If sound quality is important to you that's huge.
08-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't even think of external mic. That alone could be the deal maker. Thanks!

08-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
I didn't even think of external mic. That alone could be the deal maker. Thanks!
I didn't with my video camera and regretted it. A directional mic makes a huge difference in picking up voice and in not picking up camera noises.
08-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #6

An external audio recorder will be much better though. Such as the Zoom h4n, Tascam DR-07, all which supports the use of an external mic. Plus, I think with AGC on the K-7, Canon t2i/7d, a directional mic is pretty useless (not fully).
08-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So for capturing quality audio, you pretty much suggest using anything but the camera (solely video), is that right?
08-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The k-x auto focus is amazingly slow, why they even attempted to put such an unusable auto focus on it is beyond me. Perhaps a firmware update will fix the problem whenever they release a new one.

08-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
The k-x auto focus is amazingly slow, why they even attempted to put such an unusable auto focus on it is beyond me. Perhaps a firmware update will fix the problem whenever they release a new one.
Neither one AF during video so unless you are shooting something that is totally still the AF performance of KX in live view doesn't really hurt anything because you are doing it manually anyways.

MF during video can give you some dramatic effects if you are using a fast lens as you shift from near to far.

KX is very nice if you are shooting in low light or interior settings.
08-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
So for capturing quality audio, you pretty much suggest using anything but the camera (solely video), is that right?

Yes. The sound quality will be much better. Definitely check out the Tascam DR-07, Zoom h4n, or any quality external audio recorder.

Be aware that the k-x and k-7 eats up memory like crazy but if you have lots of sdhc card, it shouldn't matter.
08-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter

With 16 gig card the sensor will overheat before the memory runs out, at least in summertime.

K-7 video looks darn good but it is no HD cam-corder.
08-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter

After some experimentation with the video on my KX, and not needing video all that often, I opted to buy a little Kodak pocket Camcorder for $150 and am pleased with its 1080P pictures. I will refrain from using my still camera for video until the manufacturers improve it.
08-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter

If I was not saving for the next Pentax upgrade, I would buy one of the Canon Vixia camcorders for HD recording.