Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #1

K-x Freezing :(

Purchased my K-X late January. I LOVE it. It's been taken care of well, updated firmware, ect.

Recently though, this has become a love-hate relationship.

My k-x will lock up when shooting ( i use a Pentax-M f1.7 50mm mostly)

Heres a description of the lockup: The LCD screen will freeze, all buttons on the camera become useless, and when i turn the power to off the camera still stays on ! It gets worse- after that the only way to turn it off is to remove the batteries. It usually doesn't even turn on after i put them back in and try too. The shutter will randomly release at this point. Movie mode seems to do this more often, but it's happened while shooting in M mode too.

Heres what i've tried: New batteries, Brand New SD card, Cursing (j/k)

I went to the place where i purchased it and they offered to send it back to Pentax for repairs, but i thought i'd try one last hail mary here and see if anyone can offer some insight or advice as do what the problem may or may not be, and possibly a solution that doesn't involve returning it.

I know, TL; DR.

Cliffs: Cam locks up when shooting in movie mode mostly ; Doesn't Power off properly. It has done it with both kit and M lens.

08-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hi,

I had the same problem once with my k-x. I was in movie mode....and yes I had the most up to date firmware.

I haven't experienced the issue since so i don't know what the problem was.
08-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

what type of batteries are you using? fresh lithiiums or new NiMh's?

movie mode slurps battery power very quickly and if there happens to be something intermittent w/ your battery or contacts, that could cause it to lock up.

just my 2 cents
08-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with opiedog. The movie mode uses a lot of power. You definitely need to have full-charged, good quality batteries, as well as the latest firmware that improves the battery issue with the K-x. Also you may need to reset the K-x settings after each incident.

However, if your problems occur with new batteries, with the new firmware, I would consider sending the K-x for repair.