Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Eh to each their own on their preferences, I have mine and everyone has their own. I am just stating that my experience with them has been great. Marc I also know their not full lithium batteries, and have done the research on them, but if you think of it this way, a rechargeable battery is much better than some throw away single users, for simple sole reason, I know it crossed your mind right then. You save money because their rechargeable. So anyways since this post was started, my recommendation would be the Rayovac 4.0's I like em and have had no problems with them in the 2 months I have owned them. Good luck.

09-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh yes, I agree, rechargeable is the way to go, and the "hybrid" NiMH versions like the Eneloops or those Rayovacs are the best by far. I just didn't want anyone to get their hopes up thinking there was an actual Li-Ion AA, or that someone figured out a way to make regular Lithium cells rechargeable. The advantage of either of those over the current crop of hybrid NiMH cells would be higher voltage and lighter weight for the same charge.

Actually, I think someone *is* marketing a Li-Ion AA now, but it's voltage is way too high to put in a camera expecting ordinary AA's.
09-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I just didn't want anyone to get their hopes up thinking there was an actual Li-Ion AA, or that someone figured out a way to make regular Lithium cells rechargeable. The advantage of either of those over the current crop of hybrid NiMH cells would be higher voltage and lighter weight for the same charge.

Actually, I think someone *is* marketing a Li-Ion AA now, but it's voltage is way too high to put in a camera expecting ordinary AA's.
AA sized Li-Ion 3.7 rechargeable batteries are actually fairly common - they are called 14500 -
there are lots of sources for the 14500, so they are not that obscure
- the reason why they are not better known is due to exactly the reason that their nominal voltage is 3.6/3.7V and can deliver very high currents -
so probably would FRY most devices that use regular AA batteries (nominal 1.5V)

Do a search on 14500 Li-Ion battery
and there are plenty of vendors and forums threads on the 14500 battery.

One might want to note that the rumors of the new Pentax
" K-r will use BOTH a lithium battery and standard AAs (brilliant!) " -
(But any Pentax dSLR using AA batteries is already capable of using regular AA and 1.5V lithium AA..... )
however that rumor may mean " K-r (both LiIon and AA) " (link to 1001noisycameras.com)
09-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #19

Original Poster
KX back from Pentax

After 3+ weeks at Pentax service center. They replaced the main PCB. Put a new set of lithiums in it and I will know in a few weeks. Sure hope this fixed the issue. Really like the camera but the non use battery drain made it almost useless for me. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the input.

10-31-2010, 07:34 AM   #20

Original Poster
KX non use battery drain solved.

On their second try Pentax fixed the problem with non use battery drain. I have taken a couple hundred pics, a few minutes of video and not used it in several weeks. The battery still shows green. I am happy. Thanks to the Pentax folks for making it right. I just wished they had fixed it on their first service. This will probably be the last camera I will buy for a very long time.
10-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

There's so much information (and misinformation) floating around about batteries that we're grateful that you've kept us up to date. If you hadn't, there would have been yet another "accepted fact" about the camera - it will discharge when idle.

Thanks!