Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #1

computer doesnt recognize my *ist DS anymore.

My *ist DS has always worked fine when I plug it into the computer but the other day while it was plugged in, it just stopped. There was nothing wrong with the cord so I thought maybe it was the front usb port so I plugged it into the back and it still wont recognize, but what it DOES do is lock up my mouse to the point where my only choice is to restart the computer. also, unplugging the cord does not make the mouse work again. pleaaaase help.

08-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would try to determine if it's the computer itself or the camera. Perhaps try and plug the camera into another machine to check activity.
08-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any new software that you installed?. New anti-virus updates?.
Maybe try rolling back to last back-up point.
08-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got a USB SD/SDHC card reader for 97 cents on sale at Meritline. I think regular price is about $2. Just pull the card from the camera and insert it into the reader, then plug the reader into your computer. It works great.

08-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #5

Original Poster

I plugged it into my brother's laptop, nothing happened. I also tried his card reader and that didn't work either so I'm guessing the SD card got corrupted somehow.
08-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

If you have another card, just take a few test shots and try again. That will tell you what's happening. What type of card? How old and any idea how many shots it's had on it since new? Do you ever reformat the card (in the camera)? Has the card ever been used to transfer other types of file? Could it have picked up a virus etc?

I hope that there's no much important on it, you may not be able to recover the shots if it's locking up computers.
08-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the pictures show on the camera LCD, the card is probably fine - but the USB port on the camera might be shot. No matter; that's a far less desirable way of getting your pictures than using a card reader anyhow. I couldn't even tell you where the USB port is on my current camera; it might have stopped working years ago for all I know, I get my pictures faster and with less battery drain using a card reader.

08-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm guessing most people just use a card reader and never use the cable for downloading, so it's not a big problem if it turns out that the port doesn't work.

Paul
08-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #9

Original Poster

I tried putting in a different SD card and it does the exact same thing.
08-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

OK Next step is to reset the camera in the menus ( I think there are at least 2 resets, maybe 3) and after doing that, take the batteries out for the night. This may have no effect but the hope is, that right now the camera is recording corrupted files somehow. That a reset will put things back to normal.

My *istD had a backup battery. If this model has one, take that out as well.

Tomorrow, format the card in the camera and record some test shots. Check to see if they show up on the LCD. Then using a card reader, see if they can be read on a computer. If not, there's not much more I can suggest. The camera may have some issue that I can't recall being posted here. Service isn't a great option as with the age and value of this model, it's probably better to get a K-x to replace it. If a repair was under $100, then it's worth repairing. If more, then you'd have to consider your options.

This unit is around 5 years old now and unfortunately with what is basically a computer, that's not an unreasonable lifespan. Although it certainly would be nice to get a lot more time out of it.
08-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Once more though, there really is no problem here. $10 will get you a card reader, and life suddenly is is fine again.
08-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Mark, i didn't realize the OP wasn't using a card reader. You are right, that's most likely the issue. Even though my computers have card ports, I use readers for both SD and CF cards. They are faster and read everything without issue. Any local electronics shop has them cheap as you said.
08-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
Oro

QuoteQuote:
I tried putting in a different SD card and it does the exact same thing.
Nippycan,

I recall reading elsewhere in the forum that someone stated the usb compatible port on the camera in the ist Dx models is held on the camera's board by only its solder joint. It is supposedly thus prone to breakage with repeated USB cord use. This is why I use a reader only with both the istD and istDS. Perhaps yours failed in that fashion and now you will be using a reader.
11-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oro Quote
Nippycan,

I recall reading elsewhere in the forum that someone stated the usb compatible port on the camera in the ist Dx models is held on the camera's board by only its solder joint. It is supposedly thus prone to breakage with repeated USB cord use. This is why I use a reader only with both the istD and istDS. Perhaps yours failed in that fashion and now you will be using a reader.
Apparently this is what is wrong with a *istD that I have. I don't like pulling Compact Flash cards in and out because of the risk of bending pens. I had a Nikon that was problematic. The reader in my desktop also has a bent pin.
OhNo
11-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nippycan Quote
I plugged it into my brother's laptop, nothing happened. I also tried his card reader and that didn't work either so I'm guessing the SD card got corrupted somehow.
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Once more though, there really is no problem here. $10 will get you a card reader, and life suddenly is is fine again.
It appears the OP did try a card reader, without success. Maybe his brother's card reader was defective also?