Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #1

Malfunctioning K-x with teleconverter

Hi everyone, I'm a new owner if a K-x and it works great with my manual lenses, save for one Asanuma 2x teleconverter. When I use this (I'm sure it's bothering the auto contacts in some way) and try to take a picture the viewfinder blacks out for a five seconds or so, and the shutter slaps twice with no file saved in the process. At another point, when the teleconverter was in a sligthly different position, hitting any button on the camera would cause the shutter to activate, including the on/off switch. Even stranger, the lens attached to the teleconverter can access its full stopping range, but when the teleconverter and lens are attached onto the camera body, the aperture blades will move when I turn the ring, regardless of hitting the DOF preview button or not (as if it wasn't mounted to a camera) and the blades will choke up about halfway through when narrowing the aperture.

It looks like I'll just ignore that piece of equipment for now, but how it could cause such large-scale problems is pretty puzzling to me. Anyone else run into this (and is there anything that can be done about it)?

08-20-2010, 05:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, stop using the TC until you find out what is wrong. Sounds like something is bent or binding or broken. Post some pictures of the TC and maybe someone can see what is wrong.
08-20-2010, 05:15 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
What can be done? Get a better TC! Even better, get a modern lens - old manual lenses are sometimes tricky to use.