Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anybody having problems with PEF files over 16,5 MB?

Hi,

Lately I came across 3 PEF files neither DxO nor Lightroom could process.
I noticed the size of the files were all over 16500 KB: 16598, 16613 and 16675.
The first 2 were part of a batch of 168 files. The last one from a batch of 56 files.
It happened with 2 different cards.
On a side note: this started afther I upgraded to 1.3 firmware.

I could process them with PPL, however but only after a 'save as' in Photo Browser. Before this, Photo Lab didn't show the photo.
I tried to process the file in camera: RAW -> JPEG. This worked as well.

Did anybody experience this? If so, did you find a solution?

08-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Initially I shot PEF, then for the past two months shot DNG as a long-term workflow test. Now, I'm back to PEF.

The biggest PEF I've shot so far are 13.6 megs. Still on 1.2 firmware.
08-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

I've never seen a PEF file that big from neither my *istD nor my K10D. I wonder if those files are corrupt somehow. Good that you could salvage the images with PPL.
08-26-2007, 10:31 PM   #4

I shot mostly in PEF RAW and about 10% of my pictures are 16M and over, for those that are in the upper 16M sizes, PS CS3 cannot read them and I have to convert them into DNG format using PPB for PS to read them. I am too upgraded to firmware 1.3.

08-27-2007, 03:25 AM   #5

me too. PEF bigger than 16M are problematic in Lightroom and PS, still able to work them in PPL though.... and i am still in firmware 1.1...
hmmm, no problems in Silkypix apparently.
08-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Forum Member

All my PEFs run between 10 and 13M. Since the problem has occurred in both 1.1 and 1.3, I wonder if the problem is with a particular brand of card? Any commonality of make between those reporting problems?

If it occurs with a particular type of image....very light or very dark, etc. could be a sign of in camera processing problem....though I have taken some 2000 images and not seen the problem.

Last some people have reported problems if the card is maxed out capacity wise....the last images have problems....just a last thought.
08-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Initially I shot PEF, then for the past two months shot DNG as a long-term workflow test. Now, I'm back to PEF.

The biggest PEF I've shot so far are 13.6 megs. Still on 1.2 firmware.
What made you decide to return to PEF?
08-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Paul, don't want to hijack the thread, so here's the brief - I switched to DNG more out of curiosity than anything. One of the first things I noticed was that per my usage, it didn't affect my shooting (card capacity, speed images are stored, how many photos in a row before stutter, etc). Where it did have an impact was in transfer to computer and post-processing. Every single DNGs out of the K10D is a 16 megs files, regardless of what I shot, so overall, it was much slower to transfer, import into LR, and process. PEFs seem to breeze right in. It was horrible with my Athlon XP 2800 desktop, better with my dual core laptop. Now I'm back to PEF for more comparing

Bart, in addition to the brand of the cards, are you using a reader or transferring from the camera? WinXP/Vista/MacOS/Linux?

08-27-2007, 10:23 PM   #9

That happens to me when taking pictures with a lot of detail (texture photos). The two corrupt files I still have (taken in March and April) are also over 16,500KB. I haven't upgraded to firmware 1.3 yet.
08-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

i think i have had that problem once. to make it worse i was on a short (onehour) deadline. so i openned it in the bridge, did a minor edit and saved to jpg without openning it in ps2

then later on it worked....i think

it was PEF

i leave my tenD in pef now only because one of the studios i work for cant read dng
08-28-2007, 04:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Transcend SD 4 GB SDHC Class 6

It happened with two cards of this type. Once with 168 and once with 56 files on it - not maxed out here.
I transfer with a reader but the last one, I tried also from the camera to the pc (XP). This gave exactly the same result.
Sequentialy, neither of these files were at the beginning nor at the end of the batch.
It is interesting it happened under other firmware than 1.3 as well. This rules out a bug in the upgrade.

Is there a way to report this to pentax somehow?
08-28-2007, 04:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
It happened with two cards of this type. Once with 168 and once with 56 files on it - not maxed out here.
I transfer with a reader but the last one, I tried also from the camera to the pc (XP). This gave exactly the same result.
Sequentialy, neither of these files were at the beginning nor at the end of the batch.
It is interesting it happened under other firmware than 1.3 as well. This rules out a bug in the upgrade.

Is there a way to report this to pentax somehow?
I've had corrupt files occassionally with a transcend card both 2 and 4 gig. It may be the cards, they are certainly not expensive...