Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #1

K-7 audible noise (clicking) while zooming in or out

Greetings all,

I had never really played around with the live view mode until recently. I also had shot very little video. I know that there is some audible noise to be expected when the image stabilization is turned on, but I never really noticed it much until I tried the live view mode and what seems odd is that when I zoom in or out there is quite a bit of clicking. This happens only in live view and movie mode and only with the stabilization on. I expected there to be some noise when moving the camera in this configuration, but I why is it making that noise when I zoom in and out without any other movement? Can someone tell me if this is normal or happens with their K-7 or if it's just mine? As I said, I have never really used the live view or movie mode much before so I never noticed it until now. I also just upgraded to 1.10 firmware. I doubt that has anything to do with it. Any info would be appreciated.

08-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's normal. It's the stabilization working. When zooming in and out the system has to change the parameters for each focal length, sometimes it's very quickly and if it's trying to stabilize already it can get a little noisy. So it's nothing to really get concerned about. Almost everyone has asked this the first time they tried a movie or live view at some point.

You'll notice it's noisy when the camera has to correct heavy shake as well.

Mine shares the same noise as yours.
08-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
It's normal. It's the stabilization working. When zooming in and out the system has to change the parameters for each focal length, sometimes it's very quickly and if it's trying to stabilize already it can get a little noisy. So it's nothing to really get concerned about. Almost everyone has asked this the first time they tried a movie or live view at some point.

You'll notice it's noisy when the camera has to correct heavy shake as well.

Mine shares the same noise as yours.
Thanks for the info. I wonder why it only makes that noise when the mirror is locked in the up position.
08-21-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimmymack Quote
Thanks for the info. I wonder why it only makes that noise when the mirror is locked in the up position.
I don't have the K7, but on the K20D the camera lifts the mirror in Live View. I assume it's the same on the K7.

Your comments suggest you are using the mirror up function, or I am not reading this correctly?

If you are using 'mirror up' then I'd stop and leave the camera to do it!

08-21-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

More or less it's because in LV you have mirror up and the SR system needs to be functioning full time.

When you're just shooting through the optical view finder you're not telling the system to be active the whole time. Just at half press.

Also for me I tend to have a proper stance when shooting normally so movement is less an issue for SR.

For what it's worth, when I shot Canon, the IS lenses I used you could hear an identical ticking sound coming from the lens. It's very normal.